Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Steroid injections? Rss

Skubala wrote:
OC1246 wrote:
hi, sorry for the delayed update...

apparently she had the steroid injections before he was born. he was born via c/s at nearly 38 weeks, then his lung collapsed and it was found his lungs were not as developed as they should be at that age. He then ended up on a venitlator, tube fed, was sedated etc and is still in hospital but gradually improving. yay but heartbreaking at the same time.

Sorry to hear he had a rough start. As I said the steroids are often given to elective c section babies for this very reason - that although they are "term" they are not always quite ready. It is a shame that he suffered a collapsed lung, this can sometimes occur even in full term babies especially when they need a little bit of support to start. I hope he is on the road to recovery now though, it is never easy for parents to see their little one sick and struggling
thanks, he seems to be. Yep, its one of the main reasons why I don't agree with inducing people early for no medical reason.
OC1246 wrote:
Skubala wrote:
OC1246 wrote:

apparently she had the steroid injections before he was born. he was born via c/s at nearly 38 weeks, then his lung collapsed and it was found his lungs were not as developed as they should be at that age. He then ended up on a venitlator, tube fed, was sedated etc and is still in hospital but gradually improving. yay but heartbreaking at the same time.

Sorry to hear he had a rough start. As I said the steroids are often given to elective c section babies for this very reason - that although they are "term" they are not always quite ready. It is a shame that he suffered a collapsed lung, this can sometimes occur even in full term babies especially when they need a little bit of support to start. I hope he is on the road to recovery now though, it is never easy for parents to see their little one sick and struggling thanks, he seems to be. Yep, its one of the main reasons why I don't agree with inducing people early for no medical reason.

Me too, although inductions (if they are successful vaginal births...) don't quite carry as much risk. It's the early elective sections that cause problems. If elective c sections need to be done, they really shouldn't be done until 39-40 weeks but many obs do them early, which makes no sense because especially for a first time mum or for repeat sections, most won't go into labor at 37 or 38 weeks. But anyway, it is what it is and these things can still happen with full term vaginal births

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Skubala wrote:
OC1246 wrote:
Skubala wrote:
OC1246 wrote:

Sorry to hear he had a rough start. As I said the steroids are often given to elective c section babies for this very reason - that although they are "term" they are not always quite ready. It is a shame that he suffered a collapsed lung, this can sometimes occur even in full term babies especially when they need a little bit of support to start. I hope he is on the road to recovery now though, it is never easy for parents to see their little one sick and struggling thanks, he seems to be. Yep, its one of the main reasons why I don't agree with inducing people early for no medical reason.

Me too, although inductions (if they are successful vaginal births...) don't quite carry as much risk. It's the early elective sections that cause problems. If elective c sections need to be done, they really shouldn't be done until 39-40 weeks but many obs do them early, which makes no sense because especially for a first time mum or for repeat sections, most won't go into labor at 37 or 38 weeks. But anyway, it is what it is and these things can still happen with full term vaginal births
+1
I was going to say that sometimes dates can be wrong and all babies have different time periods of gestation that are perhaps not within the narrow 4 weeks that are usually classed as "full term", and so without signs of labour the steroids can be a preventative step. I'm sorry this has happened, I hope the baby thrives with care.
thanks. smile
xxx
Sign in to follow this topic