Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Steroid injections? Rss

Do all c/s babies get steroid injections after birth? Thanks. Xxx
No... usually the mother is given steroids prior to delivery and it needs to be at least 24 hours before the birth to have the full effect.

There are steroids that can be given to the baby after birth but this is usually only done when the baby is having significant breathing problems i.e. ventilated and not improving etc. These steroids are used selectively because of other potential risks and side effects of using them

Are you sure it was steroids given or was it possibly surfactant?

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Well, I'm not sure.... I was told that she was having a cs (transverse bub) they did it at nearly 38 weeks and apparently bubs would need steroid injections for the lungs after the birth. I hadn't heard of it being a definite before bubs was born.
Hoping she just told me the wrong thing. He is 1 day old and they have been flown to adelaide but I'm not sure why yet..... sad
I was given steroid injections due to the possibility of baby being born at 28 wks, then again at 35 weeks because of placenta previa. They were only given if baby was early because lungs would not be fully developed otherwise.
I just thought it was a bit odd to say a week before the c/s that he would need injections. He was born at nearly 38 weeks and weighed just over 8lb so I wouldn't have thought they were too far out... Can't wait to find out, I hate not knowing how they are....
Hmm, well it is quite common for babies having elective c sections to get steroids before birth through mum. As far as I'm aware there is no steroid injection available afterwards and it wouldn't be particularly beneficial anyway. Send me a PM or write on here when you know what it actually was... just because I'm curious in case there is something new I don't know about

OC1246 wrote:
I just thought it was a bit odd to say a week before the c/s that he would need injections. He was born at nearly 38 weeks and weighed just over 8lb so I wouldn't have thought they were too far out... Can't wait to find out, I hate not knowing how they are....

Yeah this is a debated topic in obstetrics. Some doctors say well they are term so just leave them be, others reason that as they are elective sections, they haven't "decided" to be born yet and may not quite have reached maturity as 37 weeks is an estimated time of "maturity" but some need much longer - so the argument is that you give steroids prior to delivery just in case they were not quite ready

None of mind did (1 emergency, 2 electives )

Hope he is ok xx

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Thanks everyone. Will let you know what it was and how they are once I know. Xxx
hi, sorry for the delayed update...

apparently she had the steroid injections before he was born. he was born via c/s at nearly 38 weeks, then his lung collapsed and it was found his lungs were not as developed as they should be at that age. He then ended up on a venitlator, tube fed, was sedated etc and is still in hospital but gradually improving. yay but heartbreaking at the same time.
OC1246 wrote:
hi, sorry for the delayed update...

apparently she had the steroid injections before he was born. he was born via c/s at nearly 38 weeks, then his lung collapsed and it was found his lungs were not as developed as they should be at that age. He then ended up on a venitlator, tube fed, was sedated etc and is still in hospital but gradually improving. yay but heartbreaking at the same time.

Sorry to hear he had a rough start. As I said the steroids are often given to elective c section babies for this very reason - that although they are "term" they are not always quite ready. It is a shame that he suffered a collapsed lung, this can sometimes occur even in full term babies especially when they need a little bit of support to start. I hope he is on the road to recovery now though, it is never easy for parents to see their little one sick and struggling

Sign in to follow this topic