Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

A few tips please Rss

I'm having my elective in 15 weeks and I'm putting a few lists together so I'm organize and can mull over everything! Also, I had a very traumatic birth which ended in a crash CS last time. And everything from the first 2 weeks is very hazy - so I don't remember a lot. So I have a few questions;

Is there any chance you can have the baby on your chest straight after they pull her out, instead of going to hubby? So you can establish skin to skin asap. (also, I'm in nz - so anyone know the policy?)

how long do they usually wait until they get you up for some light walking around?

Is it a myth that a c-section ruins breastfeeding? Or can you successfully breastfeed regardless?

and how long are you usually in recovery - barring everything went to plan

thanks smile

++ And our beautiful big 2 year old girl is very excited to be a big sister ++

I've had 3 C-sects. I didn't have the skin to skin right away, my DF was the 1st to get a hold and when I was in recovery I had the skin to skin then. I was in recovery for around an hour or 2 I think. I don't see why you couldn't do it straight away if everything has gone well, just make sure they know that you want to do it that way.

I was up and about the next day, it is frustrating not being able to go to your baby the day of the c-sect though. I stayed in hospital for 3 days with all 3 of mine but that was with me pushing to go home because I really hate staying in there longer than I have to.

Can't help with the breastfeeding question sorry, that was something I wasn't able to do sad

Good luck smile

Thanks guys for your reply! Feeling so good about what's coming. Had a horrific birth with DD which ended in a cash CS after 43 hours labor. So really looking forward to making this birth wonderful and filled with good memories!

Few more Q's

- Has anyone worn a belly wrap after a CS? I screwed my back last time and did damage due to bad posture. Was looking into getting one..

- What are some tips with having a toddler to look after too? I will luckily have hubby home for a full 2 weeks afterwards and have had offers from friends and family to help.

- did you feel quite good after your elective? I have memories of being so drugged up and exhausted, the first 2 weeks are a haze. Hoping that drugs don't make me want to sleep/not even remember holding DD

thanks guys. This is helping heaps!

DS1 was emergency c section after labour and l felt awful. DS2 and DD were both elective c sections and l felt better after each birth! The fact you are going in fresh and not having to labour first had a huge impact on me.

In preparation for the 2nd and 3rd births, l taught my toddler how to climb safely onto change table, onto toilet with step, climb onto couch for mum cuddles etc before bub arrived. This worked really well as they were already in a routine for the things that l wouldn't be able to do post c section.

I had a emergancy c section after 38hours of labor and it is my first baby, I couldn't breastfeed my milk didn't come in at all that was horrible but what can you do, Um was up the next day i went home two days after having my little girl, Started walking with the pram at 3 weeks into recovery (just light walks) and within the 6 weeks was back to normal Excerising etc when i could. They make you get up the next day regardless it realy helps to walk around and remember to have a straight back when walking as much as it will be sore you recover quicker if you dont hunch over. You'll be fine. I had skin to skin contact straight away which was great. It's suprising how quick you heal as it is major op.
Hi, if you're concerned about the first few days, you can look at starting to express colostrum ante natally from about 34 weeks. You get syringes, caps and labels from the hospital (or LMC) and freeze as you go. Take it in with you to, then they unfreeze as and when needed. It's great for so many reasons, best of all that if you have had a lot of drugs and struggle to feed in the first couple of days, you already have some colostrum on hand. Or it can be used to top up baby whilst establishing supply.
I've been doing this for the last 3 weeks, it takes a bit to get started but I can get about 10ml over 3 sessions in a day.
Annikalisa wrote:
Hi, if you're concerned about the first few days, you can look at starting to express colostrum ante natally from about 34 weeks. You get syringes, caps and labels from the hospital (or LMC) and freeze as you go. Take it in with you to, then they unfreeze as and when needed. It's great for so many reasons, best of all that if you have had a lot of drugs and struggle to feed in the first couple of days, you already have some colostrum on hand. Or it can be used to top up baby whilst establishing supply.
I've been doing this for the last 3 weeks, it takes a bit to get started but I can get about 10ml over 3 sessions in a day.

Do you really get that much colostrum? I was lacking hugely last time and we all agreed DD needed formula as it was so little. Does it freeze well?? Wonder if they allow you to store it in nz hospi's....

Sign in to follow this topic