Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. How many c/s do they recommend?

How many c/s do they recommend? Rss

I know they can't stop you getting preg but what is the safe recommend number of c/s? And why?

Young people learn from experience. So who are we to try and stop them

I thought I had heard 4 or 5 as the usual, as otherwise the uterus starts getting weak. And I think they may take give you a hysterectomy or tie your tubes once they feel your uterus can't support any more pregnancies?

Becaful wrote:
I thought I had heard 4 or 5 as the usual, as otherwise the uterus starts getting weak. And I think they may take give you a hysterectomy or tie your tubes once they feel your uterus can't support any more pregnancies?

Don't think they can just do that to stop you having kids. They can do a hysterectomy if they can't stop the bleeding during a c/s but they can't take away your choice to have more kids without a valid medical reason and certainly not without permission.
Ilovemylilbugs wrote:
Its 4 hun (I'm sure) the reason being is because they usually have to cut over the same scar which in turn causes a lot of scar tissue and it being opened and stitched again with old scar tissue can cause healing to have some trouble. I think I read scar tissue also weakens the whole area as well and you can be a candidate for placenta abruptions if the placenta grows over the scar tissue.
Have a google hun it'll be more in depth on a proper medical site but your right they can't stop you having a baby smile

I hate googling. It's not alway accurate. I was just curious as I would like the option for more kids but time will tell if we choose to go back for 3rd or even more.

Young people learn from experience. So who are we to try and stop them

There isn't actually a number. It's something that you ob will tell you. For example I've had 2 so far and my ob said that he is happy for me to have another and he thinks even a 4th would be fine if i wanted but he would take it one pregnancy at a time and always check my uterus and scar tissue and would make the decision at each c-section done. So I could have a 4th and then find out that i'd be fine to have a 5th etc.

But i'm done lol so it doesn't really matter for me.

Forever, for always and no matter what

Hi, I had my 3rd c section in april last year. My ob told me at the time that its ok for a 4th c sec but he recommends you consider stopping there, he said he has done 5 and he can do 5 but its not favourable, and its definitely not favourable to go further after that, he said he advices any patient with 5 csecs to have tubal ligation as it really becomes risky past that point. But that is his personal preference, it would be different with every OB how they feel and their personal experience with that. For me we are ttc number 4 which would also be a csec baby and I would have tubal ligation after that as the risks and all the information thrown at me for my 3rd c sec was scary enough!
Generally you OB will tell you, my friend was told to stop after her second she continued to have 2 more kids and has had serious complications. Her scar tissue attached her bowel and bladder it took over 2 hours to sew her up after her fourth and she has since had to have tummy surgery due to the unsightly scar, remove old scar tissue and constant stomach buldge which effected her self confidence.

Just listen to your body you will know best depending on your recovery
Hi,
I am due in June for my 5th c section.
the age gaps are 2yrs, 2.5yrs,15mths and now nearly 2.5 years.
After my 4th in 2010 the surgeon said that there was no reason why i couldn't have another even though when the delivered DD the lower part of my uterus was see through and they could see her before even cutting through the uterus itself.
I had very little adhesions and have always recovered well except for a spinal headache with the last 3.
My fisrt was an emergency c-section in New Zealand and the rest elective in OZ.
I think I will be getting my tubes tied this time though as I think 5 will be enough kids. smile
Sign in to follow this topic