Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. Mentally preparing for a Cesarean..

Mentally preparing for a Cesarean.. Rss

Ok So I have been booked in for an 'elective Cesarean' on Thursday.. and I am feeling really teary..

So it is elective because they don't want me to go into labor due to the placenta position (1cm from cervix, with major underlying vessels) and a big risk (80%) that I will have a life threatening bleed if delivering vaginally..
I have know about this since 19 weeks, but have been told on numerous occasions that there is a good chance that it will move as the uterus grows, so have spent a lot of time preparing for a drug free vaginal birth (even had a spot in the birth center) now at 38+4 I am facing the extreme opposite to this and struggling to get my head around it..

Don't get me wrong, I will do what ever I have to to have a healthy baby and for both of us to be safe, and I am grateful that we live somewhere where this sort of thing can be detected and managed..
But I am full of pregnancy hormones and sad and ripped off and scared..

Even the fact that it is called an elective c-sect is upsetting me.. I have not 'elected' this, I am doing it because I have to!
So those of you out there that have had time to prepare for a cesarean, what did you do to get your head around the whole thing?
Agree with everything Little Miss's said it is excellent advice. I posted a similar thread in the weeks leading up to my C/section and it was Little Miss's advice that helped make it a great experience for me. I think it was also because she spoke to positively about it. C/sections seem to be surrounded by doom and gloom and touted as terrible, second rate births. Well I am living proof that it is not true for everyone. I have had a natural birth and a c/s and my c/section was a dream compared to my nat. birth. It was a far more positive experience for me. I totally understand wanting to experience a natural birth and hopefully one day you will if thats what you dream, but dont write off what a positive, special and wonderful birth a c/s can be. All the best to you and I wish you an amazing birth, you will be fine! (And thanks again to Little Miss's your awesome!smile )
I just wanted to say that I had an emergency C section and it was a really positive experience too.
I was fully dilated but DS was posterior and not moving down on his own.
I cried on the way to the operating theatre because I felt like I had 'failed'.But actually the operation wasn't anywhere near as scary as I thought - and we had skin to skin pretty much immediately.
Go gently with healing afterwards and just do little walks (like to the letterbox) to start with and you'll be fine.
Don't listen to anyone who tells you negative stories - there are plenty of positive stories out there too! grin

New stay-at-home-mum and owner of Outie - designing and making pregnancy tees and splat mats for minimising baby boo-boos.

http://www.outie.co.nz

http://www.facebook.com/outieNZ

Thank you all so much for your kind words and understanding..

I know that this is the right thing for me and my baby and that in the end we will be ok...

I am an intensive care nurse so have 'more than your average knowledge' on medical stuff, and that is not really helping with the over thinking of things..Though it does make understanding the potential risks of a vaginal birth very clear to me!

I understand why it is called an elective cesarean, I am just getting hung up on words (stupid hormones)

It is so great to hear positive stories, I have already discussed keeping bub with me, breast feeding etc and the Obstetrician is very pro all of this and keeping things as natural as possible and keeping us together..

Thanks again for the understanding, the rational side of me knows without a doubt that this is the right thing to do, but the emotional side is another story!

I just remember the midwife at our birthing class saying it doesn't matter how they arrive - just love them once they are here. Good luck!
Hi ladies,
Just a quick update... We had a baby boy last Thursday, Ruben Jack, I am totally in love and he is the best thing I have ever seen!
The C-sect was awful, I found the whole experience very traumatic, and did not 'enjoy' his birth at all.
But soon as he was out and I was stitched up, I was completely over my thoughts and feelings of disappointment.. I mean he is here and we are both safe and I would not have it any other way..
I still lost a fair bit of blood, and was in theater for longer than normal, but it was all controlled and all good in the end, Hubby and Ruben got to stay with me the whole time.
The recovery is going fairly well, just taking things slowly, but he is totally worth it! And have already discussed with midwife and Obs that I am an excellent candidate for a VBAC next time, which is great.
Thanks again for your support x
Little Speck wrote:
Hi ladies,
Just a quick update... We had a baby boy last Thursday, Ruben Jack, I am totally in love and he is the best thing I have ever seen!
The C-sect was awful, I found the whole experience very traumatic, and did not 'enjoy' his birth at all.
But soon as he was out and I was stitched up, I was completely over my thoughts and feelings of disappointment.. I mean he is here and we are both safe and I would not have it any other way..
I still lost a fair bit of blood, and was in theater for longer than normal, but it was all controlled and all good in the end, Hubby and Ruben got to stay with me the whole time.
The recovery is going fairly well, just taking things slowly, but he is totally worth it! And have already discussed with midwife and Obs that I am an excellent candidate for a VBAC next time, which is great.
Thanks again for your support x

Sorry to hear your experience wasnt the best but am so glad youre well and happy and in love with your healthy little boy. Congratulations!! smile
Sign in to follow this topic