Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. when do you get booked in for elective c -sect?

when do you get booked in for elective c -sect? Lock Rss

I had an emergency c-section with my DS (now 13mths) Just found out I pregnant with #2, and am happy to have a c-section rather than try to go the Vbac route.
How far into your pregnancy did you get booked in for your caesarean? I will be seeing a regular GP, and my local public hospital, as I had no other complications last time.
I had an emergency c-section with DS too. This time I was asked if I wanted a VBAC or a c-section. Once you have one they are happy for you to make that choice. With both pregnancies I have been in the public system but seeing a private GP (shared care). This time around I have to see an OB cos my GP cannot do the paperwork for the hospital. It costs a bit more but worth it I think.

I know my OB has already received paperwork acknowledging that I will be having a C-section but the actual date will be set later. From moms in my Mother's group who have had a planned c-section at the same hospital, I believe they give you the date when you are 35 weeks along. They normally do it after 39 weeks but before 40, unless there is a medical reason for them to do it sooner. If I go into labour earlier than that I get an emergency C-section. Hope that helps smile

Sdhani wrote:
I had an emergency c-section with DS too. This time I was asked if I wanted a VBAC or a c-section. Once you have one they are happy for you to make that choice. With both pregnancies I have been in the public system but seeing a private GP (shared care). This time around I have to see an OB cos my GP cannot do the paperwork for the hospital. It costs a bit more but worth it I think.

I know my OB has already received paperwork acknowledging that I will be having a C-section but the actual date will be set later. From moms in my Mother's group who have had a planned c-section at the same hospital, I believe they give you the date when you are 35 weeks along. They normally do it after 39 weeks but before 40, unless there is a medical reason for them to do it sooner. If I go into labour earlier than that I get an emergency C-section. Hope that helps smile

Thanks sdhani,
your info was exactly what I was looking for. I did shared care last time, and will do it again.
Hi, I also had an emergency cs, and will be have an elective cs this time, I am 34 wks today and I received my bookin date a few weeks ago as my partner works away and needs 6 wks notice for work to take time off! Mine is booked in for 38+6wks, they usually only do elective cs on certain days and at 39wks but because my 39 wks falls on a weekend and the operation day at my hospital is a Friday that's why I get to have mine a day before 39 wks! My bestie is a midwife and so is mil and they both say it's best for bubs to wait till 39 wks so if ur doc goes straight for 38 wks ask for 39! Some babies my need a little assistance even born at 38 weeks not much but the longer bub gets the better for he or she!
I also had an emergency c section for DS1 so decided on an elective for DS2 I got my date when I was 34 weeks and was booked for 39w3d this time round it has changed at my hospital as apparently it is harder to book in so this time I will get my date at 30 weeks.
Each hospital is different.
All the best for your pregnancy.

I had an elective c'sect with my last pregnancy and that was booked in at 32 weeks (but then changed 2 weeks later due to hospital closing an operating room)- I delivered at 37+1 due to medical risks

I am haveing a elective c-sect again this time- It has being booked since 24 weeks!!! is booked for 39+1, but it may be brought forward after a scan at 30weeks.

Is bit weird already sort of knowing bubs b'day
It really depends on your hospital I think.

I had an emergency c-section with DS and as soon as I saw my OB for number 2 he told me I would need a c-section again. As I live in a country town where there is no neo-natal care unit, I was closely monitored and once I hit 38 weeks he checked my cervix regularly and once it became 'ripe' I was booked in for a couple of days time.

Whereas my SIL had the same as me (emergency c-section followed by a 2nd 'voluntary' c-section) and she was just booked in for 38 weeks (I think this was done mid way through her pregnancy) because she was in a much larger city hospital with a neo-natal care unit right there.

Really the only person/people who will be able to answer your question will be your OB/GP or the Hospital you will be having you bub at.

Good luck with it all smile
Sign in to follow this topic