Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. PP magazine article about c-sections

PP magazine article about c-sections Rss

For f@*k sake!

Do you people actually read the thread or just jump to conclusions?

NO ONE IS JUDGING ANYBODY! I dont give a crap if you gave birth out your ear, the thread was started out of curiosity not because I think women who have csec are some how unworthy of the word mother.

The only debate happening in this thread is about how risks and recoveries differ through both csec and vaginal births. If someone has ligitamite stats on how many vaginal and csec happen in australia and how many of those have minor and major complications and how many have x long recovery please feel free to post them because it will end it.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I wanted a natural birth right from the start. I thought planned c-sections were a cop out or the easy road. At 32 weeks I had unexplained fluid loss and continued to lose fluid until 35 weeks when my Ob said "sorry, that's it" and I ended up having a c-section a few days after. Sure, my bub had made herself nicely breech, but I was still determined... if not for the fluid loss, I would have tried the normal way...

BUT...

After having the c-section, the only down side for me was the "event" not being what I expected and being scared I might have lost some special bond or something (but that didn't turn out to be the case). I was in bed for 1 day until the catheter and epidural was removed (because my legs didn't work!) and then I was up and about. My wound healed quickly and I was able to get around with no discomfort whatsoever. I can understand why people elect to do it. There are plenty of stories like mine where people never intended to have one, but ended up there... and plenty of people who planned it due to medical reasons or convenience. At the end of the day, the method of birthing is up to the woman involved. Only she knows what's going on inside her head and what will work best for her... and even when you've decided something it doesn't always end up staying that way. Same goes for people who plan to not have any pain relief - they often get to a certain point then change their minds or have to get some assistance.

"To each their own" I say. What works best for you and bub is what you should do.
Some people think its an 'easier' option.
Personally Ill stick with my VB planned!

Shell_09_11 wrote:
Damn straight tearing and a c-section cuts aren't in the same ball park - tearing can be a hell of a lot worse!

Pretty sure this debate will continue to rage on for as long pepsi vs coke.

It is completely true that you can't compare the two, they are not the same. The point is that for some women a c-section is the safer option with a better recovery period than a vaginal birth and vice versa.

A woman suggesting that a c-section is easy in an article or wherever can only be speaking about her personal experience and shouldn't be drawn and quartered for doing so. Just like a woman who has only had vaginal deliveries wouldn't necessarily be for saying that is way easier and safer than a c-section.

Thank you for posting this, I wholeheartedly conquer smile
it really is a pepsi vs coke, burger king vs mcdonalds argument lol only much more serious and intense for obvious reasons but there will always be women who would rather opt to avoid vaginal tearing altogether and I was one of them. Tears happen even minor grazes, I have not met a woman yet who did not get at least a graze or bruise, okay they are not all severe labial tears or need to be stitched but they do tend happen and make sex uncomfortable whereas a C-section scar does leave the perineum in tact and in MY personal experience the scar is hardly visible, it is not a heavily stapled dark red bumpy wound, its barely even a cut like I said, my stretch marks are much worse and more noticeable but we all put up with them during pregnancy and after and the scar has faded much quicker too, not that I was concerned how the scar would look in the end because I had the birth I wanted and a safe delivery of my precious little girl who was gently lifted out without the need for ventouse or forceps and I missed out on painful labour and contractions and my baby did not get stuck in the birth canal or go into fetal distress which she most likely would have due to my pre eclampsia and her not being physciall ready to come out and remember that some inductions end in assited delivery which is never ideally what the woman wants I mean noone can honestly say they want forceps, episiotomies and ventouse during their births either

Thank you twolilbs.

Basically this site reiterates my current understand of the csec vs vaginal debate. THIS information for this source and others is why I first questioned the articles message, and the womans claims that she thought she would have an easier/better recovery. Its also why I feel the articles message is dangerous. While I think its good to let women know that there is a chance they can have a good csec experience I disagree that it is a good idea to send the message that csec are a walk in the park or possibly safer and with a better recovery than vaginal births in general.

From reading the others experiences I can now understand why this woman came to the conclusion she did if she intact heard first hand experiences similar to these.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I don't see any judgment or asking people to 'justify' why they had a c-section, or saying that anyone who has one isn't a mother or given birth. Everyone wants to make the best choices for their children, sometimes the choices made aren't the ones that eventuate, and no one should ever feel the need to justify that to anyone else.

Noddy basically summed up my thoughts on it though...."While I think its good to let women know that there is a chance they can have a good csec experience I disagree that it is a good idea to send the message that csec are a walk in the park or possibly safer and with a better recovery than vaginal births in general."

C_hippie_kiwi wrote:
I don't see any judgment or asking people to 'justify' why they had a c-section, or saying that anyone who has one isn't a mother or given birth. Everyone wants to make the best choices for their children, sometimes the choices made aren't the ones that eventuate, and no one should ever feel the need to justify that to anyone else.

Noddy basically summed up my thoughts on it though...."While I think its good to let women know that there is a chance they can have a good csec experience I disagree that it is a good idea to send the message that csec are a walk in the park or possibly safer and with a better recovery than vaginal births in general."

Agreed, I had an EMCS and still have bad baby blues, you know, I am terrified of the hosptial because of it and cannot look after my little girl who is in there for feeding issues? my hubby has to look after her overnight because I have panic attacks but I guess I am a post traumatic stressed selfish useless mother sad according to some midwife's, I mean mothers should l stay with their children regardless of a bad birth experience keeping them up at night. I STILL would rather a C-section even with the mild PTSD and eclampsia I have developed from birth, I am not well, stressed and suffering from PTSD yet I am getting shit thrown at me for thinking a section is better than vaginal birth as I would still have issues had PTSD with an induction and vaginal birth as baby HAD to be induced or delivered via section due to my low iron and pre eclampsia, now I am still sick and getting treated like a selfish woman or being ill and mentally blue, thank god my husband does not think of me this way, without him I would be dead

I have had 3 c sections, the first labour was going good for the first 26 hours then after trying everything including forceps I was wheeled into surgery.After 26 hours or active labour it was bliss!The 2nd one was going to be a vbac but a low lying placenta put an end to that, and I did not care!3rd time round, the ob said that people can have 2 c sections but not you !because I had a very thin uterine wall.Again, I was not phased and knew what to expect.However,I would not advocate a c section for first time mums unless there was a medical reason for it.It also is no where near as 'bad' as I imagined

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic