Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

really scared Lock Rss

im 19weeks preg with my 2nd and my midwife has already said i may need to have a c-section, the idea of this scares me as i dont no anyone thats had one and only heard bad things bout them like i wont even get to hold my baby for awhile?

can someone that knows please tell me the truth about them and if it will be as bad as people say?
I have had 3, and the discomfort was now where as bad as the 28 hours of labour I had 1st time around.You get to see/cuddle bub pretty much straight away

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Don't be scared hun, it is a fairly straight forward surgery over and done within the hr. I have had an emergency c-section and a planned one. The thing I was most scared of was the epidural getting put in and it was done in a couple of minutes. Just think of the end result and that you will hold your bubs after.

im 19weeks preg with my 2nd and my midwife has already said i may need to have a c-section, the idea of this scares me as i dont no anyone thats had one and only heard bad things bout them like i wont even get to hold my baby for awhile?

can someone that knows please tell me the truth about them and if it will be as bad as people say?

hi there

I have had 3 c-sections (1 emergency, 1 elective and 1 due to medical reasons). Honestly it is NOT as bad as you are expecting.

I found the non-emergency c-sections to have a much quicker recovery time as my body wasnt exhausted after labour (30 hours of it).

Yes, it is major surgery so you will be in bed for longer than with a natural birth, yep it will take time to heal (but then so would stitches and tearing) but the doctors and midwives are brilliant at helping you manage pain, and giving you enough medication and helping you out and about afterwards with bub.

You do get to hold bubs prettty much straight away. Once the cord is cut they do a quick checkover and then you get to hold bubs, skin to skin contact. You are also able to start breastfeeding fairly soon after, I think I just had to be checked over first, but each time I have had my babies tucked up with me in the bed.

Also your partner/ husband is with you the whole time too.

Good luck smile

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Did the midwife say as to why you might need a c section when you are only 19 weeks?

I had an emergency c section, and believe me it was the one thing I didn't want! Granted, it is major surgery and the recovery time is longer, but it got my DD here safely. I was able to hold her straight away after the quick check from the doc/midwife. My DH had her when we were taken to recovery and she was given back to me for skin to skin contact. DD was with us for the entire time after she was born.

Next time you see your doctor, mention to him/her what the midwife said and discuss any concerns you may have. The only thing I can think of as to why bubs would not be with you is if they have to go to the NICU.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.
Just curious as to why the midwife said that so early in your pregnancy?

I've had 2 c-section. My first one i was told that my first son head wasn't down. This was after 38 hours of labour then another 90 minutes of trying to push him out. Because of my long labour i think was the reason why it took me ages to recover.

My second one was by choice and for the fact i already had a c-section. My recover this time around was great only had pain when the stamples were still in but when i got them taken out i was great.

I will be having a c-section when i'm pregnant with my 3rd.

You just have to take time to recover and listen to what they say and you be fine.

Why has your midwive told you this early that you have to have a c-section. Normally the doctor tells you later in the pregnancy.

Throughout my pregnancy I was petrified at the very thought of a c section and being cut open. Must have jinxed myself because I ended up with an emergency c section after being in labour. And honestly, it was fine. Apart from the fact that I didn't see my baby for a few hours after!! I had her on a tuesday night at 7:13pm and was out of hospital by thursday arvo. The recovery was fine and I just want to say good luck. You'll be fine. smile
I had an Emergency C section with my DD due to complications. I didnt feel a thing during it except for an odd pressure sensation, (wasnt uncomfortable, Just weird) I was up walking around the next day and I was fine... I didnt see my DD for 4 hours after her birth but that was only because I had massive complications (due to my labour not the C sect) but her Daddy was with her the whole time.. If we can have another bub I will have to have a C sect again but I am quite happy to do so!!
thanks everyone i feel alot better now and less scared of the thought of having to have a c-section

the midwife is seeing it as a very real possiblity due to medical reasons already causing some problems
I loved my c-section I was up and about in 24 hrs and had my baby after 30 mins they need to check bubby over to monitor for a bit ..I loved it and am having another in nov it was a much nicer experience than natural

mother of baby Noah

Always investigate what they are talking about. Research it. Don't take their word for it. Get second and third opinions. You are in control of this. Sure you might need a c/s. But if you don't really understand why then it will be scary. If you learn the ins and outs of what is happening, why you may need it and what your other options are you may find it puts the fear at ease a little.
All the best!
Sign in to follow this topic