Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Natural drug free birth PLEASE! Lock Rss

All I want is a natural, drug free delivery.
I am so terrified of having to get a c-sections that I almost dry retch everytime I think of the word "cesarean".
I have considered staying at home as long as possible before going to the hospital just so that I don't have drugs etc forced upon me.
The hospital that I will be birthing at seems to have a high rate of C-section's coming out of there. I know only one lady who had a natural birth in this hospital.

How can I put my mind at ease without seeming like a total control freak by begging my midwife for an answer to a question that can't really be answered?
What are my rights when it comes to my birthing plan? Can I say no to a Cesarean??

I havent been told many nice stories - I'm over hearing about the horror stories!

I am so terrified of having to get a c-sections that I almost dry retch everytime I think of the word "cesarean".
I have considered staying at home as long as possible before going to the hospital just so that I don't have drugs etc forced upon me.
The hospital that I will be birthing at seems to have a high rate of C-section's coming out of there. I know only one lady who had a natural birth in this hospital.

How can I put my mind at ease without seeming like a total control freak by begging my midwife for an answer to a question that can't really be answered?
What are my rights when it comes to my birthing plan? Can I say no to a Cesarean??

I havent been told many nice stories - I'm over hearing about the horror stories!

You have the right to refuse drugs and a c-section. It's your body after all. They can't force you to have a c-section or to have pain relief.

However, these people are in this profession for a reason. To deliver healthy babies. If your bubs heartbeat is slowing down or is getting erratic and they are in distress let the Dr's help you. If it means a c-section I'm sure you'd rather that then a stillborn. That might sound harsh but at the end of the day as long as the baby is born healthy what does it matter how it came out?

All wounds will heal, scars will fade. Worrying about things that might not happen is not good for you or the baby. So relax, make a birthing plan but allow for changes or for the whole thing to go out the window. Nothing can be set in stone. A healthy baby is the end result you want. Focus on that. Put the other worries aside, no point dwelling on what might be the inevitable. Make it clear to your MW what you want, and to your support person too so they can speak for you as well. Talk about the risks involved in refusing medical intervention. Ask that every option be available to you and all pros and cons talked about. Get all the info you can, being well informed will ease some fears and at least then you'll know what to expect.

Trust me, the second your baby is in your arms you'll laugh at how worried you were. And you'll probably even think 'That wasn't so bad, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.'. smile

Good luck!!

No one can force drugs on you or force you to have an uneccessary caesarean.

Your best bet is educating yourself on labour and birth and when the time comes go in positively that you can do it as you'd like to do it and you most likely will.

Do up your birthing plan (the hospital probably has a form), talk to your midwife about it and relax, sounds like you've whipped yourself into a frenzy.

Its best to go into it with an open mind, yes you should know what you'd like but accept that sometimes intervention is necessary. The important thing is that your baby is born and is healthy - focus on that.

If you can handle it at home, I don't see any problem with staying home as long as possible during labour. Noone can force you to do anything, but it would help to have a birth plan so you don't have to discuss this during labour. And you may be coerced into something before you have been given all the options, or when you are vulnerable (that isn't being forced, but it still toes the line).

Just write "Please don't offer me any pain relief unless I ask for it" or something like that. You may or may not be seen as a control freak who has no clue, it depends on your midwife. If you don't like your midwife, as for another one. It makes a big difference smile
Have you considered/researched your other birthing options? You can reduce your risk of getting a c/sec or having other interventions forced on you or being offered drugs just by where you choose to birth your babe. Birth-centre or homebirth?
Hi There,

I don't think being afraid of a c-sec is a good place to start.

I really believe that the key to a successful birth is the absence of fear and what you really need to do is prepare yourself in every way you can.

Throughout my first pregancy I researched hypnobirthing and read the book "hypnobirthing: the mongan method" by Marie Mongan and found it invalueable!

Another good idea is to have some really solid plans in place with your partner for ways that he can help to relieve your pain throughout the labour with massage and heat-packs etc as well as what he can do on the day in terms of being your advocate when speaking to the Drs etc.

I also attend a pregnancy yoga class which introduces a range of birthing positions for different scenarios.

Although you can't control your birth a bit of preparation can really help you to feel strong and empowered rather than fearful when the time comes.

Good luck!

When i was pregnant i read the book Juju Sundins Birth Skills, it was great and teaches you different ways to manage the pain of labour without using pain relief.
Dont let the thought of a C Section scare you, if it happens it happens and theres no point worrying about it, i had to have an emergency C Section a few months a go at the birth of my daughter and it was def worth it to have her delivered safely smile
Well I just thought I'd give you the perspective of someone who had to throw their birth plan out the window smile

I planned on a drug free water birth and ended up with an elective c section due to complications.

Despite having to abandon my plans, I still had a really positive birth experience. Everyone was very calm during the procedure and I can honestly say the worst part about it was having the IV inserted into my hand. The local anasthetic and epidural didn't hurt at all, just felt a little uncomfortable for like a second. I was able to cuddle my DS about 5 or 10 minutes after he was born.

In terms of recovery the first couple of days are quite hard, mainly because its frustrating being stuck in bed but you get loads of pain relief and support from the midwives in the hospital.

I think that its natural to be afraid of the unknown, if things don't go quite to plan you can loose a lot of control over the rest of the birthing experience. I guess you just have to find a way to be ok with this and realise that what is most important is having a healthy baby. The only thing worse than having to have a c section is really needing one but not having one.
Thank you all so much for your advice.
I am aware that whatever birthing plan I choose could quite possibly be scrapped on the day. I am content with this.
However I can't help a little fear creeping in every now and then about the unknown.

I have done some research and I feel heaps better after reading different birthing stories.
Very inspirational!
I am also hoping to go down the hynobirth/ calmbirth path, as I think that may help with a few of my anxieties leading up to the big day.

Thanks again for all your feedback.
Much appreciated:)
I haven't read all the pp but I didnt want any drugs except the gas prior to going into labour especially an epidural so just told my mw I didn't want anything unless she thought I needed it (so things were going wrong), I did end up having pethadine to take the back pain away but that was my choice. Just let your mw and your support person know what you want what you don't want but keeP in mind things can change and you may need medical intervention to get your healthy baby out good luck
Hay there,

Can i recomened you read the book 'hypnobirthing' by Marie mongan,

Its an empowering book that teaches you how to work with your body during pregnancy and labour.

I read this book and went on to have the most amazing birthing experience of my life.

Do abit of research on hypnobirthing, you tube it, google some stories of others aswell. You sound like you are in the perfect frame of mind to give it a whirl.

And it is not hypnosis. Its just called that (which is silly cos it really puts people off) because woman who use the teqniques are desribed as looking hypnotised.

good luck, and i hope you get the birth you want smile
I was the same as you. I was petrified at the mere thought of a caesarean. I had wanted a drug free water birth (with a very open mind for pain relief). I finished up with an emergency caesarean and although it was a few hours before I was able to see DD, we are both here today to tell the tale. smile
Sign in to follow this topic