Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Home Births & Drug Free Births
  5. For all the mums who have homebirthed...

For all the mums who have homebirthed... Rss

Hey ladies,

I have been wanting a homebirth since our second bub but due to where we were living at the time it ended up being not possible and then with our third I ended up being too sick so went to a birth centre.

I am desperate to have a homebirth this time round which hubby is all ok for, however we have recently moved to an area where there are no homebirth midwives (that I can come across) so if we homebirth it will be an unassisted.

I have read up on them quite a bit and am quite happy to go this way, hubby is a little bit worried but has recently said he will be ok with doing this.

I am just wondering if any of you mums who have had homebirths would have done this if you didn't have the option of having a midwife present with you??

thanks ladies
Hmm tough one.
For me, it would depend on a few things - how far to hospital, any complications during previous labours that could pop up again, and how I was feeling within myself as the time came closer.

Is there anyone near you with any birth experience, not neccessarily a midwife but someone you trust to hold space for you?

I'm interested to know what you decide. All the best.

Hi there,

I have had 2 homebirths with the same IM for both. However the second, i didn't call the midwife as I assumed I would be in labour for much longer. So I birthed bubs unassisted - but still was under her care before and after. Mind you, I only ever get bubs position checked, heartbeat checked and my blood pressure occasionally! I get a referral from a GP for a 20 week u/s.
Its hard to say, my first I wouldn't have, my second I wanted the care and whereas I am very confident to do it all myself - I do like that security of knowing I can call her anytime if I need. But I also have the security of knowing if I don't want her to come - I can do that too. She will be there when I want. hmmmmmmm......back in a sec
Its a hard one and I would absolutely rely on my instincts at the time, but I would do it unassisted if I had to.

Have you seen these

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/links.html
http://www.joyousbirth.info/

lots of info/links/women who have done it

What area are you in? There are a few midwives that will do phone consults or travel....
I know birthing is all natural but things can get complicated. I had a homebirth with my first daughter. She was 3 weeks late. I laboured for two days. Her cord was around her neck very tightly and the midwife had to cut it while the baby was half out. She was born blue. The midwife ended up bagging her and giving her oxygen. She had an APGAR of 3. If I had an unassisted birth, I know my baby would have died. She is now 4yrs old and I'm planning another homebirth with this pregnancy. Please try to research what to do if things turn ugly if you are still considering unassisted homebirth.
hmm thats a hard one, I had a planned homebirth where the midwife wasnt present, she was still on her way to us though, everything went well and hubby delivered our baby.
Even though I believe birth is a totally natural thing I personally wouldnt have felt comfortable without a midwife or any support person, I know it is rare for things to go wrong but when they do the risk is huge and you need someone on the outside to look for these signs.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Hey ladies,

I have been wanting a homebirth since our second bub but due to where we were living at the time it ended up being not possible and then with our third I ended up being too sick so went to a birth centre.

I am desperate to have a homebirth this time round which hubby is all ok for, however we have recently moved to an area where there are no homebirth midwives (that I can come across) so if we homebirth it will be an unassisted.

I have read up on them quite a bit and am quite happy to go this way, hubby is a little bit worried but has recently said he will be ok with doing this.

I am just wondering if any of you mums who have had homebirths would have done this if you didn't have the option of having a midwife present with you??

thanks ladies

I would this time around, I am having my 4th. When I found out I am supposed to have 2 midwifes present at the birth (have planned a homebirth) I have really started thinking about not calling them at all.... I considered it as well for my 3rd because I was not eligible for a home birth on the home birthing program at that time. I decided not to when the time came and went in to hospital due to a very long labour causing me some concern, but had everything ready at home. In hindsight I really wish I had as the birth was an awful experience, due only to my awful midwife. There was nothing wrong that had caused the long labour. Had I been at home, it would have been a much better experience.

If something happened now and I was suddenly not able to have a midwife, I would definitely have an unassisted homebirth. But first I would try to find someone whom I could call near the end ie a professional.

You may actually find that there are midwives in your area you do not know about, can you ring somewhere that could tell you? Perhaps even if not experienced in homebirthing, there would be a midwife willing to assist you? Or maybe consider some other kind of professional, such as a doctor?

There are risks involved as with any birth. You could research potential problems and have action plans set up. Eg what to do if baby is born not breathing for instance. Or how to remove the umbilical cord from around the baby's neck if necessary. You may be able to prepare for the most likely problems.
I had a planned unassisted birth with my third child about a year ago, if you want information I highly suggest you join the joyous birth group and get into the forums, e-mail me if you are having trouble making a account

Sign in to follow this topic