Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Home Births & Drug Free Births
  5. Why do I feel like noone understands Why I am terr

Why do I feel like noone understands Why I am terr Rss

i think to each there own and sum people (i say people cuz im guessing that mum and dad r chosing to have homebirths)are very brave and confident to go ahead with a home birth i live in a very small town that it only takes minutes to get to the hospital but i know how quick those 2 pressious minutes can go when u have a very sick baby so i personally wouldnt have a hb but am happy for the people who have the confidence to do it after all they didnt have hospitals around a couple of houndred years ago and we are all here 2day good look to everyone having there babies no matter if its no 1,2,3,4, or 5 or where you have it but id like to have mine in hospital at least i know that im going to get a rest from 1&2
[Edited on 19/03/2008]

2+1=3

Kandied Heart.

Good on you for decideing what you want.

I believe that the ladies who are slamming Homebirth, please She has already decided what she wants and was asking how to go about it. Not saying "talk me out of havign a homebirth".

Ignore the what ifs and do what is comfortable and right for YOU and YOUR BABY.

Good luck with your impending birth.

edited becuase i just read the above post and laughed. Hubby was standing behind me reading (hate it when he does that) and said each to their own, but i probably wouldnt have been comfortable with you haveing a home birth.
[Edited on 21/01/2008]
two things

1) call me naive but I don't understand this whole thing. ( I'm serious)

why is it that you don't have an OB? don't people have a doc that looks after them during pregnancy and then delivers the baby?

When I got pregnant, my GP said she'd refer me to an OB, so I went. Is it a money thing, or a health insurance thing? I had a very prescriptive birthplan about how and what I expected and wanted during my delivery including NO DRUGS. I felt so taken care of by my midwives (who were strangers), I had 3 in the labour ward and my OB, who showed up like a golden boy at the end! I was in control and the rule was, if I lost control then hubby was! worked for me.

2) Lucky for me I had a healthy pregnancy and a "text book" natural delivery. I personally was petrified of an epidural and or a C section and did heaps of hypno birthing training to make sure I delivered without one. for me, I never considered anywhere other than the hospital and that was fine for me.

I think you should do what feels right for you if you feel at peace with the possible consequences that both options pose. I reckon once you decide, then don't tell anyone what you decide and then you can't be judged.

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

kaitlin*s Mum: quote: My personal opinion is that my children's lives are way too important to risk with a homebirth. That's my opinion, take it or leave it.

i agree. in my opinion. home births might be more peaceful, but whats more safer in the case of an unexpected complication. hospital. i want to be having my bubs at a place with the most medical advances doctors and eqipment possible weather that be a hospital home or anywhere else thats where i'd be.. cos birth is a very unpredictable.. very..
i have many health probs and i guess i take good health for granted and when it comes to having bubs i wanna have the best resouces on hand if needed.. i mean the best not what a midwife can carry in her bag..
i really feels my kids lifes are sooo important and not something to take the chance with,. i'de rather be in a stressful hospital ward and have all life saving machines on hand then be in a place where help is a drive away..

in the end its a healthy living kid for life for a short stressful moment in time that WILL pass..
im not ramming my opinion down peoples throats like some people think i just feel very passionate about it..
Just a quick question: What is worse? A home birth which is pre arranged and has safety nets built in with the midwife... or a woman who goes to a hospital who is turned away because she "can't be in labour yet" even though her waters had broken six hours previously?

Don't scoff... it has happened. In fact in that case, the woman was turned away from two hospitals because they never bothered even checking her to see if she really WAS in labour.

So... just because one person decides that one method is safer than the other, doesn't necessarily mean it is always the case.
firstly if someone is turned away once their waters have broken its breaking protocol. secondly having medical machinery at hand rather then a drive IS safer in the event of an unexpected complication.
a question: do u roll dice?
cos u'de no what i mean by chance and eventually it will fall on your number.
if they have 1000 hosp births complication free with 1000 home births complication free.. those that have unexpected complications WILL have a better outcome when in hospital. cos i bet on my life midwives that do home births dont carry ALL life saving eqipment. can they perform emergency c section is a question i really would like to no the answer to.. and i mean that in a nice way
Posted by: peggynbindy
a question: do u roll dice?
cos u'de no what i mean by chance and eventually it will fall on your number.

First off life is risk, we risk getting run over or being in an accident as soon as we walk out our front doors. Does that mean that we should stay locked inside all our lives? Of course it doesn't.

if they have 1000 hosp births complication free with 1000 home births complication free.. those that have unexpected complications WILL have a better outcome when in hospital. cos i bet on my life midwives that do home births dont carry ALL life saving equipment. can they perform emergency c section is a question i really would like to no the answer to.. and i mean that in a nice way

Of course a midwife attending a home birth can not perform and "emergency" c/section. What a midwife at a home birth will do is look for early warning signs that may indicate a need to transfer to hospital and discuss them with the woman at that time. I would sure hope that my midwife would notice something was wrong way before it was deemed an emergency situation.

How emergency c/section is defined can also impact on the issue of time relating to transfer. Some emergency c/sections take up to 30 minutes to organise.....I am 10 minutes from my local hospital and as the midwife would have rung ahead theater would be prepped by the time I arrived so in that instance I wouldn't have had a c/section any sooner by being in a hospital.

Some emergencies are that bad that a general is needed and I think they are done within say 10 minutes of knowing there is a serious problem. Again, my midwife should have picked up on early warning signs and by then I would have been at hospital so again I would choose to have a home birth again before I got to hospital.

I have very quick labours and statistics say that I have a better chance of a good outcome delivering at home under the care of a skilled midwife than in the car or on the side of the road trying to get to hospital.

Home births are not for everyone but everyone needs to respect a woman's right to give birth where she is comfortable as too much stress is known to have negative impact on labour and can lead to interventions that might have otherwise been unnecessary. My hospital birth with DS1 wasn't bad, just not how I wanted to give birth. This time I had a water birth at home, knowing the risks but feeling that the benefits far outweighed the unlikely transfer to hospital I might need.

I would never intentionally put my baby's life at risk and if at any time the midwife or myself felt that something was going wrong then I would have been the first to hold my hand up and get transferred to hospital.

Sometimes mums/bubs die, even with all the medical intervention in the world and that is truly sad. I resent the insinuation that I put my son's life at risk because I chose to have him at home. I want to do what is best for both my boys and for me and our family that meant having ds2 at home.

If you choose to give birth in a hospital that is your right and no one should try and deny you that CHOICE or tell you that you are doing the wrong thing, in the same vein if people like me choose to give birth at home, the same applies.

The original poster was looking for support not a lynching for stating her reasons for why she did not want to give birth in a hospital. DS2 had 9&10 apgar scores at birth so he was completely healthy and you can't tell me that he would have had better scores than that if I had given birth to him in hospital.

Christina

Ditto to Jamesmum2003- could not have put it better! Homebirth is a safe option if not safer than hospital birthing, especially from the point of intervention and most emergencies that stem from them being used.

Pegbindy maybe you should contact an IM and talk to her, she will go through with you what happens in an emergency and what equipment they carry etc, you would probably be surprised.

Wear your baby out!!!

Interesting thought... rolling the dice. Think about it. Where do people go when they have life-threatening highly contagious diseases? They sure as heck don't go to my house! They do, however, go to the hospital. Babies have absolutely no ability to fight off infections. If you give birth in a hospital, and especially if you stay there for a few days (as many women do) that, in itself, is a roll of the dice.

No, I am NOT saying that women who stay in hospitals are deliberately endangering their babies lives (unlike some posters who indicate that home birthing is doing as such). However, it is something that I think of every time I consider the hospital, and staying there after the birth.

I have stayed in after one of my deliveries. Only one, and only because my baby was so large that he "had to stay in" for 24 hours. I was actually told that I could go home but the baby had to stay! Note: the baby had to stay in the area with the most sick children, by the way, since he apparently needed "observation" for being large. Heck, his father is naturally 6'6" - did they expect a small baby??

The point is, again, that no matter WHAT you choose there is a risk involved. Harassing someone for their choice is inconsiderate, and IMO downright mean.
Posted by: girlbunny

The point is, again, that no matter WHAT you choose there is a risk involved. Harassing someone for their choice is inconsiderate, and IMO downright mean.

i totally agree. has anyone else noticed kandiedheart hasn't come back since her op?

[quote][b]Posted by:[/b] dougiesmum [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] girlbunny i totally agree. has anyone else noticed kandiedheart hasn't come back since her op?[/quote] I did notice that, and wonder if we should be concerned? Although I can't say that I'm surprised. Christina

she hasn't posted anywhere since then. i'm not surprised either.
if she is reading this i hope she is ok.

Sign in to follow this topic