Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Blighted Ovum - but is it? Lock Rss

Hi! So yesterday i had a scan which found no heartbeat, no baby and not even a yolk, just a black empty sac. So i am holding onto the hope that for some crazy reason, my baby will still grow and develop a heartbeat. I know the exact date I got pregnant so i'm definately not any less than what I thought I was. My sac measured how far I actually am.

So I know I am being unrealistic as there should nodoubtedly be at least a yolk sac and fetal pole at this stage but I cant bring myself to believe its a blighted ovum.

Has anyone been "misdiagnosed" with a blighted ovum, refused a d&c only to find that in a couple of weeks a scan showed a bub with a heartbeat?

What a mess sad I just can't handle my 3rd miscarriage xxx
Firstly so sorry this is happening to you sad

While I haven't had a blighted ovum, I have had a friend go through this. Unfortunately she for her she did have one and got a d/c in the end. She got regular blood tests done to see if HCG is rising as normal and for her because it didn't, she had another u/s and then decided for the d/c. Perhaps I suggest you do the same (bloods and another u/s) before making any decisions. Being in limbo land really sucks, been there myself with my ectopic pregnancies sad

My friend went on to have a healthy pregnancy 3 months after her blighted ovum.
Hey

My last pregnancy was diagnosed as a bloated ovum but at 6 weeks 3 days they informed me there was a good looking yolk sac but no heart beat yet? I find it strange that several weeks later they said it was a blighted ovum.

Definately wait a week or two and get another scan! Was the scan an internal scan?? They generally say by 7 weeks you should be able to detect the heart beat.

I hope everything works out for the best xx

Hi! I had an abdominal scan and then an internal.
My doctor called me today. My levels are 11000 (i am 7 weeks preg). And he said he spoke to an obstetrician who told him that I need another scan on friday. If they still see an empty sac then I need a d&c. This is our last time ttc if we lose this one as I couldnt handle the heart ache. I dont have high hopes at all though at all. Not even seeing a yolk sac at 6 weeks and 4 days is a bad sign.. But weirdly enough, I feel soo sick (the worst I've felt yet) and my boobs are still tender.

Anyway, please keep your fingers and toes crossed that it isnt a blighted ovum. Very much over this. I've had an awful time since the day I found out (cramping, bleeding)

Xxx
Hi,
I'm going through a similar thing at the moment. How did your pregnancy turn out?
I have had 2 scans at 5weeks 5 days and 7 weeks and there has just been an empty sac. But I have been getting regular bloodwork done and my hcg is increasing as it should. I'm so confused, I have another scan this wednesday and am dreading seeing an empty sack again. I don't know whether to give up hope completely. I haven't had any bleeding or cramping but my Dr keeps saying that he is 90% sure that it is a blighted ovum or a missed miscarriage.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi,
I'm going through a similar thing at the moment. How did your pregnancy turn out?
I have had 2 scans at 5weeks 5 days and 7 weeks and there has just been an empty sac. But I have been getting regular bloodwork done and my hcg is increasing as it should. I'm so confused, I have another scan this wednesday and am dreading seeing an empty sack again. I don't know whether to give up hope completely. I haven't had any bleeding or cramping but my Dr keeps saying that he is 90% sure that it is a blighted ovum or a missed miscarriage.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi there! I see that you are sailing along nicely in your pregnancy. That's great. I did end up having a blighted ovum unfortunately sad
Last week I went in for an internal u/s at 6 weeks 2 days. They found a gestational sac and no yolk sac. Having had a miscarriage previously (my heart sank - I should have been able to see my baby by now). I was told it could be too early but I knew when my last period started and the day it finished. I went to the doctors and he wanted me to do another blood test, I also asked how far along I was based on the size of the gestational sac, I was told 6 weeks 4 days...my heart sank even more. I went for a blood test the following day and having to wait 2 days for the results, my HGC levels had gone from 3700 the week before to 53000. To be honest I didn't hold onto much hope as I thought I had blightened ovum (HGC levels can still rise until the body realises there's no yolk sac). My doctor told me to go in for a scan a week later which is this coming Wednesday. I couldn't wait I went today (to be honest I was done with it all). I prepared myself for the worst. I had the same lady who had done my scan 6 days ago, I felt like saying to her "don't waste our time and skip to the internal u/s" but thought better of it (shrink) next thing I hear is "there he is"! Ohhhh blow me down! Baby was measured at 6 weeks 5 days (based on my dates I was 3 days off). She couldn't understand why we didn't see baby last week being an internal u/s but the good news is, I did today. After reading about all the messages regarding blighted ovum experiences I thought no matter what the outcome I was going to post a message about my outcome. All the very best ladies xxx
Sign in to follow this topic