Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Loss and Sadness
  5. Have many of you had a natural miscarrage and not had medical intervetion how long did it last and how long did you wait?

Have many of you had a natural miscarrage and not had medical intervetion how long did it last and how long did you wait? Lock Rss

Hi, I'm sorry for your loss too.
This is my first post here as I felt compelled to write and say a little of my experience.
I had my m/c at nearly 10 weeks along at the end of January. (I still haven't managed to change my profile yet to reflect my loss though). I had some spotting initially, followed with severe contractions for two hours before I went "pop". I then bled heavily for 9 weeks. (A scan at 2 weeks after the m/c showed some retained products, but it was decided to continue naturally by the doctor). Then came spotting until my period arrived a couple of weeks later (so 11 weeks after m/c began approx), but the very heavy period ended at day 7 after another round of contractions. My next period after that was also heavy and painful and I was still "passing products". I was then given antibiotics, but a scan showed no more products were left, and I wasn't anemic.
My point for telling you this is just show we all experience it differently. In hindsight, I wish I had asked for some more intervention because it was lasting so long, but I just couldn't find the way to ask.
It sounds like you are doing all the right things- trusting your body, but getting medical advice.
Thinking of you x
Hi Nukilah,

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you, and i'm sorry to all the other women here who have been though this painful experience. I found out I had a miscarriage last month when i started spotting and went to the emergency room mainly for reassurance i really didn't think i was having a miscarriage, but a scan showed that the baby's heart had stopped beating and had stopped growing. At that stage i chose to have a natural miscarriage mainly because it didn't feel real one second i was having a baby then next they were saying i didn't.

I am still bleeding off and on quite heavily it has been 4 weeks now. I thought it was only supposed to take 2 weeks maximum and returned after 3 weeks and was told after an ultrasound that showed a small amount of retained products to wait another 2 weeks then come back. I now wish i had a d&c so this could all be over but i know i wasn't emotionally ready then to have one. I hope your natural miscarriage is quick and wish you all the best for the future.

Rachel
XXX
So sorry it happened. It happened to me too.

Mine was natural. The pains i had, were bad. I just knew the fetus and the placenta wasnt in my body anymore.

My miscarriage happened 3 days before i was 12 weeks.

The only medical intervention ive had is a needle to help my uterus contract i think. i had my scan on 9am and i was at the hospital by 10, they did bloodtests and when the bloodtests came back thats when they gave me the needle. Had to go to a day bed stay and i was there for 2 hours. i didnt get home until after 3pm that day.

The pains in my stomach were still there, i had blood clots for awhile. but until recent ive been able to do things and get back to my old self.

Good luck to you

xoxox

I think that it is completely a personal choice & where you are mentally with the whole situation.

With my m/c, it was discovered when i went in for a routine scan, even tho it was late - nearly 14 weeks, the baby measured in at 13 + weeks. I had no physical signs & there was no way that i felt mentally prepared to 'wait' for my pregnancy to end naturally - it may have been in 1 day or 1 week, who knows, no-one could tell me - so, i decided for medical intervention for my own mental health. I dont know if it helped me recover 'quicker' or not, but it certainly alleviated the waiting around for the unknown to happen - IYKWIM.

This is how it happened for me too, except I was 9w1d. I was told to see a dr about my options. They were 'wait and see,' some kind of tablet to expel the fetus, or a D&C. I chose the D&C mostly because I didn't want to see my baby come out that way. The idea of it frightened the hell out of me sad

I'm very sorry for your loss. And I agree with most other posters, everyone deals differently, there is no right or wrong.
Sorry to hear of your miscarriage - I have had a few and have come to terms with them by thinking that the baby was not well so should not have been born - as much as I didn't want the miscarriages to start in the first place there is nothing you can do to stop them. The first diagnosed MC I had the Dr said it was better to have a miscarriage then to have to make a decision later in the pregnancy if their was a problem with the child - sorry if that offends but it helped me - I'd never want to be in a position where a 'decision' was required...The Dr advised that natural is the way to go - as painful as it may be...it's best for your body...hope you are well and in a good place now.

Sorry to hear of your miscarriage - I have had a few and have come to terms with them by thinking that the baby was not well so should not have been born - as much as I didn't want the miscarriages to start in the first place there is nothing you can do to stop them. The first diagnosed MC I had the Dr said it was better to have a miscarriage then to have to make a decision later in the pregnancy if their was a problem with the child - sorry if that offends but it helped me - I'd never want to be in a position where a 'decision' was required...The Dr advised that natural is the way to go - as painful as it may be...it's best for your body...hope you are well and in a good place now.

Still going natural strarted to really bleed the other night bright red with dark clots it strted at about 12 at night the cramps where not to bad then they started again at four in morning and they where crazy the pain. So popped down to emergency room in our local hospital gave me some pain killers. Love those pain killers. and i went back home. Slept and then woke up in morning No pain all day still red blood pain again sunday night at 12 ish again and three went to hospital again to get pain killers as the chemist is not open sundays here. Went to doctor monday and doc gave me script for more pain killers pain came again at night around the same times has anyone else had this it is funny how your body works and it never ceases to amaze me. I am glad i have gone natural this time even if there is pain. It is hard to explain how you feel but i think it is the sense and the knowledge knowing that your body knows what to do and how to heal itsself so it is all in perfect balance after. Given time and the right signals our bodies can heal themselves you just have to trust them and that is a huge learning curb because for some reason we seem to have lost that trust and we trust someone else's oppinion instead. I think what i have learnt form this experiance is that you know your body better than anyone else and you have to trust it. Even if it somtimes takes along time for things to happen. Thank you everyone and god bless you all.

Still going natural strarted to really bleed the other night bright red with dark clots it strted at about 12 at night the cramps where not to bad then they started again at four in morning and they where crazy the pain. So popped down to emergency room in our local hospital gave me some pain killers. Love those pain killers. and i went back home. Slept and then woke up in morning No pain all day still red blood pain again sunday night at 12 ish again and three went to hospital again to get pain killers as the chemist is not open sundays here. Went to doctor monday and doc gave me script for more pain killers pain came again at night around the same times has anyone else had this it is funny how your body works and it never ceases to amaze me. I am glad i have gone natural this time even if there is pain. It is hard to explain how you feel but i think it is the sense and the knowledge knowing that your body knows what to do and how to heal itsself so it is all in perfect balance after. Given time and the right signals our bodies can heal themselves you just have to trust them and that is a huge learning curb because for some reason we seem to have lost that trust and we trust someone else's oppinion instead. I think what i have learnt form this experiance is that you know your body better than anyone else and you have to trust it. Even if it somtimes takes along time for things to happen. Thank you everyone and god bless you all.

Well have i learnt a valuable lesson, My lesson was Trust Your Body it does know what it is doing. I had internal scan about four weeks ago my body had cleaned itself. Took a while but it was the way it was. If you are strong do go natural it may hurt but that is to remind you just how strong you really are and how amazing you and your body are. If you feel ill or anything then get it looked at trust your body and your heart it knows you better than anyone else I was fine feel healthy and that to me is a good indercation that all is good. Anyway letting my body heal naturally and that may take some time but i know that the next time it will all work out the way it is ment to be.
Cheers and hope you all have a great day.
grin
Hi, Really sorry to hear about your Loss. I am going through the same thing right now - was told at 9weeks that the development had stopped at 7weeks. I opted to wait for the natural miscarrage and have now been bleeding for 4weeks. I was checked out a week ago and told there was still tissue that needed to be passed so was given medication to speed up the process (which didnt really do anything)and sent home - they said the bleeding should stop within 1 week but it hasnt sad Some days the bleeding slows right down and then the next its really bad again (sorry if too much info!!) Basically I was just wondering how long you had to wait until the bleeding actually stopped? I really want to continue with the natural process but am concerned that the continuous bleeding will become an iusse. Esp after reading that 2weeks is the "normal" bleeding time for a natural miscarrage! I have no weird sympotms, just crapping on and off so I guess just want the reassurance that it will eventually stop and all be over. Has anyone else contiuned to bleed for crazy lenghts of time or should I actually seek medical intervention??
Sign in to follow this topic