Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

D&C questions Lock Rss

Hi everyone. This is my first post and it's unfortunately not a happy one. Last week we had our 12 week ultrasound and found out our baby had died. I'd had no symptoms and had seen a strong heartbeat previously. We are heartbroken. I had a d&c yesterday. I left hospital with general instructions on how to care for myself after surgery but nothing on what to expect after a d&c. We were in no frame of mind to think to ask and although I'd been told what to expect at the ultrasound I was in shock so obviously don't remember what was said. I am disappointed in the hospital- it was private too so I paid an excess. Anyhow, I have had a little cramping and a small amount if bleeding although it's been more like blood stained discharge- not much at all. Only changing pads cos of cleanliness not out of necessity. Is this normal- I expected more??? Physically I feel fine. Emotionally is another story- but I know it just wasn't meant to be. Would others mind sharing their recovery? TIA.

PS I am sorry for everyone who has experienced this- it's absolutely heartbreaking.doesn't matter how far along u are, it's ur baby and u love it unconditionally.
Oh love i know you heartache and am sending lots of love and support.
Yes it sound normal to me. Sometimes the bleed can be heavy or light. Sadly i have had a few D&C's and have had both types of bleeding. The cramping too is normal. A hot water bottle or wheat bag helped me. I found nurophen to be better than panadol but im sure either would help.
A good cry and a good supply of chocholate is always handy too smile
If the cramping gets too much i would chat with your doctor. I had a slight infection after my first D&C which was a litte more uncomfortable but antibiotics fixed it quickly.
Give yourself time my sweet to let your heart grieve and start to mend. It wont be easy but it does get better i promise.
More than happy to chat if you need an ear.
x
first of a ((GBH))

i had a d&c back in 08... from what i can remember there wasn't much bleeding afterwards pretty much what you are experiencing... it does get better and easier as time goes on... the biggest thing that i regret doing is going to talk to someone about what happened...

i now have a beautiful little girl who i love to the moon and back but i will never forget the two little ones that i lost they will always have a piece of my heart smile
Yeah it's normal, and what you're feeling emotionally is normal too, I had the same thing, at 13 weeks. Great big hugs to you, I fully understand your pain. Life can be cruel sometimes. Hope you feel better real quick, have a good drink and a good cry then try to get a good sleep.
So sorry for your loss. I lost two babies last year after having 2 completely normal pregnancies/births. Weird!

Anyway, after my 2 d&c's I also had very little bleeding, more so with the first than with the 2nd. Actually, with the 2nd, I had no bleeding after the first night. What I was unprepared for was my EXTREMELY heavy 1st period after my 1st d&c. I mean, it was like 3 years worth of periods rolled into 1. And then they were normal after that. After my 2nd d&c, I had a mini-period between the time when I should have had my first one, resulting in my "first" period being lighter that 2nd time around. I was so thankful not to have repeated the heavy flow from that other time. Just letting you know so if it happens to you you can be prepared and know it is normal. I wish my Dr. would have warned me before hand! She told me at my 6-week follow up that "Oh yes, a very heavy 1st period is quite normal." Oh.

Mom of two beautiful little girls

I am so so so so so very sorry for your loss, nothing anyone says at the moment makes you feel any better. You just want to shut a door on everybody around you and cry your eyes out every second of the day. I felt really empty, lost, and like I had no control over anything. It really broke my heart, and it took a while to feel a little bit better.

I can really feel your pain and its making me cry ( big blubber baby), but I promise you it will get better with time, but for now just try to take one day at a time.

After my d&c i had very heavy bleeding and I felt really tired and crampy.
my first period after was heavy then went normal.

Im sending you lots and lots of cuddles.
Hi,
I also had a d and c last october. I had some bleeding at 6 weeks they did a scan but said all looked fine. Pregancy symptoms carried on as normal, got bigger in the belly, bigger breasts, food cravings, morning sickness all the usual. Went for a nine week dating scan and was told there was no heartbeat and there had been a fetal demise. Told by my doctor to go home and wait for a natural miscarriage. 10 weeks comes along and my pregnancy symptoms were increasing, started to feel a little hope, went back to doctors who sent me for a hcg level blood test which showed increasing levels. Was then by sure they had mnade a mistake, i felt so pregnant! So i was sent for another scan to be told there had definitely been a fetal demise. Apparently when the baby dies but there has been no miscarriage the sac keeps growing which is what gives the hormones hence the rising levels. I then went home and waited a couple of days until I just couldn't cope anymore then went to the hospital who gave me pills to induce miscarriage. they didn't work. so again i went to hospital this time private, waited all day to at the end only get a referral onto another hospital as they couldn't get hold of an ob!!! finally a few days later i had a d and c which while heartbreaking by this stage was a huge relief. thankfully i had two beautiful boys to go home to. the recovery took a few weeks i kept getting a lot of pain before needing to go to the toilet but that was normal, i bled on and off for a couple of weeks, it took about six weeks to get a proper period. everyone is different i guess.

after that i read up on it all and was told also you are most fertile in your first few months afterwards. so i hung on hoping and waiting to fall pregnant again, it didn't happen but now six months later i am pregnant again (5 and a half weeks) and crossing everything that things work out this time. absolutely dreading the first scan!

i hope whatever your plans are that you recover quickly and are able to hold a baby in your arms when the time is right.

xox
I am so sorry. And my heart goes out to you - and to all who've experienced a m/c.

I had a D&C performed even after I started to miscarry naturually. I had found out a day before in a scan that bub had died at about 6.5 weeks (I would have been 8.5 weeks). That night at home was awful, I bled a lot and was in pain...but after the D&C my recovery time was quite short. Not much pain which was good. I didn't bleed as much as I thought I would, probably for about 5-7 days, which had gradually reduced by about day 4. I was quite tired and of course emotionally wrecked and still in shock from it all. Having family and friends around for support was a godsend.

Once again, I am truly sorry for your loss and wish you all the best in your recovery and when you TTC again. xxxx

Oh my gosh,

Thank you all for sharing. I've been a member on other forums and was scared off a bit to tell the truth. Found unless you'd made 2000 posts previously no-one really wanted to help. So thank you!

I feel so awful for anyone else who has had to go through this. It seems there is no 'normal' for what to expect after a D&C- just like everything else where women's bodies are involved. I'll trust my instincts and if something doesn't feel right I'll get back to my ob.

Your posts all made me cry. Everyone's stories are so different but we all feel the same pain. I have a little boy who is almost 2, he obviously has no idea about what has happened, but somehow he has just known that I have needed him. This morning while having a cuddle in bed, his arms wrapped tightly around my "nick" (neck), and him giving me slobbery kisses with a mouthful of toast, I looked at him and thought, I am so lucky! He has helped me more than he will ever know.

I have watched a friend struggle with a severely disabled child, and watched another friend make the heartbreaking decision to terminate due to severe problems with her babies growth- I am so glad that I didn't have to go through what they did. I know that nothing I did caused this to happen, nor that I could have prevented it so I am in an ok place emotionally. Today anyhow.

I am in the process of writing a letter of complaint to the hospital. Most of the staff were very sympathetic. Unfortunately as I woke up in recovery I was greeted with a nurse banging on at the top of her voice to all the other nurses about how smoothly her pregnancy was going, she couldn't believe she only had 3 months left blah blah. I am still in shock that a nurse could be so insensitive. Needless to say, I burst into tears, she and the other nurses were very apologetic and while I do not want her to get into trouble, maybe a little review of hospital policy might be in order- there were only 3 of us in recovery at the time, not hard to have a quick look at people's files.

Anyhow, thank you all again for listening and sharing your stories. I am sorry you have all had to go through this too and I wish you all the best on your pregnancies, TTC journeys, motherhood and life. I will defn be sticking around. xx
I am so sorry for your loss, and again to any other women whom have experienced a miscarriage. It is such a heartbreaking time, and really difficult to put in words and explain to others.

My hubby and I decided to start trying mid last year. We couldn't believe our luck when I fell pregnant by August - all was going to plan so nicely! Although I knew the date of my last period our Dr still sent us for a dating scan at about 8 weeks. At the appt we learnt that our baby's heartbeat was not as strong as it should have been, we were told to return in 3 days time and they would check if it had improved. Sadly it wasn't meant to be and no heartbeat was detected, I had suffered a 'missed miscarriage'. I was in shock and shed so many tears (more than I thought was humanly possible)- its amazing how you can bond with your little one in such a short time. I am just so grateful that we went for the early scan, otherwise it may have been at the 12 week mark that I learnt it was not viable.

Thankfully my insurance covered a D and C - I didn't want to wait around for the miscarriage to pass naturally. I bled very little post the operation, I was expecting and prepared for a lot more. Very little cramping too. But 5 weeks later I had the heaviest period of my life, it then took a couple of months for my periods to regulate.

I miscarried in October and we decided to start trying again after 1 month - I thought it would be good to set my mind to it and looking back I think it was my way of coping. My hormones were all over the place (got really bad acne)as were my emotions those following months, and again on reflection I don't think my body was ready for pregnancy. I am now 6.5 weeks pregnant, and I have a scan booked next week which will ironically land on the day my 1st baby would have been due. It is a nerve wracking and anxious time 2nd time around - it almost takes away an element of the innocence of pregnancy when you have suffered a loss. But I am hopeful that this time it will meant to be - have to stay optimistic!

Do look after yourself and grieve, surround yourself with close supportive friends and family. I can honestly say it does get easier xx

Hi,
I also had a d and c last october. I had some bleeding at 6 weeks they did a scan but said all looked fine. Pregancy symptoms carried on as normal, got bigger in the belly, bigger breasts, food cravings, morning sickness all the usual. Went for a nine week dating scan and was told there was no heartbeat and there had been a fetal demise. Told by my doctor to go home and wait for a natural miscarriage. 10 weeks comes along and my pregnancy symptoms were increasing, started to feel a little hope, went back to doctors who sent me for a hcg level blood test which showed increasing levels. Was then by sure they had mnade a mistake, i felt so pregnant! So i was sent for another scan to be told there had definitely been a fetal demise. Apparently when the baby dies but there has been no miscarriage the sac keeps growing which is what gives the hormones hence the rising levels. I then went home and waited a couple of days until I just couldn't cope anymore then went to the hospital who gave me pills to induce miscarriage. they didn't work. so again i went to hospital this time private, waited all day to at the end only get a referral onto another hospital as they couldn't get hold of an ob!!! finally a few days later i had a d and c which while heartbreaking by this stage was a huge relief. thankfully i had two beautiful boys to go home to. the recovery took a few weeks i kept getting a lot of pain before needing to go to the toilet but that was normal, i bled on and off for a couple of weeks, it took about six weeks to get a proper period. everyone is different i guess.

after that i read up on it all and was told also you are most fertile in your first few months afterwards. so i hung on hoping and waiting to fall pregnant again, it didn't happen but now six months later i am pregnant again (5 and a half weeks) and crossing everything that things work out this time. absolutely dreading the first scan!

i hope whatever your plans are that you recover quickly and are able to hold a baby in your arms when the time is right.

xox
now I know why I felt so pregnant. I was 12 weeks when we found out we'd lost the baby at 8 weeks (2 days after our 8 week ultrasound) and we had seen a strong heart beat. I got told that I was feeling sick all the time because it was decomposing. sorry tmi.
but i'm so shocked that they made you wait to have a "miscarriage".
not only are you devastaed that youve lost your baby but then you have to wait to go through the physical pain of it all. Some people have no sympathy at all. It's ok for them they might have to deal with this everyday but for some its our first time and we don't know how to deal with it. grrrr it makes me angry.
Sign in to follow this topic