Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

What have I forgotten? Lock Rss

Hello lovelies.

I have a terrible habit of forgetting something important whenever I pack to go somewhere, so I'm wondering if anybody can point out what I've missed this time.

So far I've got:

Still camera + charger
Video camera + charger
MP3 player + speakers
DS with games + charger (for after, lol)
Book to read

Clothes for labour/post-birth
Undies
Maternity pads
Breast pads
Nursing bra

Massage oil
Own shampoo and body wash
Make-up
Chapstick

Nappies (for going home)
Baby wipes
Baby clothes (one 00000, a few 0000, and a few 000. This hospital only supplies clothes for the first day)
3x muslin swaddles
2x Bonds baby socks

And to grab last second:
Phone charger
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Cold packs (I'll be using them at home, and if they're still frozen, they'll go to the hospital too)
Thermos with ice and water (if I need to wait)
Keys/wallet/phone

We only live five minutes from the hospital, so if someone needs to duck home quickly its not an issue. But I don't trust my DP not to get himself into a panic, and Mum doesn't know where everything is in our house.

Now... The other question is have I packed too much?

Hello lovelies.

I have a terrible habit of forgetting something important whenever I pack to go somewhere, so I'm wondering if anybody can point out what I've missed this time.

So far I've got:

Still camera + charger
Video camera + charger
MP3 player + speakers
DS with games + charger (for after, lol)
Book to read

Clothes for labour/post-birth
Undies
Maternity pads
Breast pads
Nursing bra

Massage oil
Own shampoo and body wash
Make-up
Chapstick

Nappies (for going home)
Baby wipes
Baby clothes (one 00000, a few 0000, and a few 000. This hospital only supplies clothes for the first day)
3x muslin swaddles
2x Bonds baby socks

And to grab last second:
Phone charger
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Cold packs (I'll be using them at home, and if they're still frozen, they'll go to the hospital too)
Thermos with ice and water (if I need to wait)
Keys/wallet/phone

We only live five minutes from the hospital, so if someone needs to duck home quickly its not an issue. But I don't trust my DP not to get himself into a panic, and Mum doesn't know where everything is in our house.

Now... The other question is have I packed too much?

I'd get rid of the thermos.. they have cold water there! I'd also loose the make up, but thats me. I also wouldn't bother with the massage oil as that's more of a home thing (plus the hospital might have samples if you really need it)

I'd also chuck in an extra pack of maternity pads, and some mittens for bubs. Perhaps some lanolin cream for sore nipples.

Good luck.
Hi,
that all sounds pretty good...the only suggestions I'd make is that you leave a lot of the elctronics at home (in an easy place for your mu to find) cos you don't want them getting nicked at the hossy. You might be too busy sleeping anyway smile

The other suggestion is that however many knickers you've got, double them! You might go through a lot and there's nothing worse than running out of knickers. And I always found black to be the best colour for post birth smile

Fiona.
I packed wayyyyy to much when i was in hospital!! I even stayed for 5 nights!!

Packed some lollies or snacks, also some change for you DP if he wants a drink..

Also i agree with Fiona, dont take all your electrics.. you wont have alot of time to use them! And yes double your undie supply!

Good luck!
Sorry to jump in your topic but when should you have your hospital bag packed by?
I intended to have it packed a week ago, but didn't get around to it.

I think it depends on how well your pregnancy is going.
I've had a textbook pregnancy with no complications, and my plan was to have it packed from 38 weeks, just in case.

All the make-up I have is just a compact powder, just something to have tucked in the bag if I find out someone's coming to visit and I feel like I look like a mess. smile

I did consider heat packs, but I overheat really easily and I just know I won't end up using them!
I'd add:
a pen (I seemed to have to fill in a lot of forms!)
A drink bottle (I have never been so thirsty in all my life after my bubba was born - I had 2 bottles of powerade, drank them then used the bottles, I swear I refilled them every two hours or so - plus when you are breastfeeding some people get really thirsty and a paper cup just doesn't cut it!!)
I would also leave the electronics at home, the only things I used were my phone and my camera.

Socially_Awkward they suggest having your bag packed at 37 weeks as this is officially 'full term'. I didn't pack mine with my daughter until I was 39+ weeks and then it was only because my friend sat me down and made me (apparantly I was keeping her awake at night!!) then my bag sat there for AGES as I was induced at 42+1 days laugh
I also took my baby's journal and a pen as I had plenty of time to fill in on the first day as she slept all day! Depending on the parking at your hospital, put coins away now for parking meters or car parks. And as a couple of people have already said, take lots of snacks - I was starving after giving birth as I hadn't eaten all day, and breastfeeding can also make you very hungry.
Hi, I'd add in a roll of some super-soft toilet paper, unless you know the hospital has decent stuff! Can be nice if you end up sore or with stitches...
Also, you can buy disposable undies (more comfy than it sounds) which saves having stained ones to deal with when you are much too busy for that kind of thing.
Good luck!
A change of jarmies every day & lots of undies. Body wash as soap just doesnt cut it. If your stay is a long one then perhaps your pillow.

If you can see if you can organise a mobile hairdresser to come in and wash and blow dry (if allowed). My hair was so bad. I washed it but just didnt feel right.

Bottled water. With a pop top for when your in labour. You get soooo thirsty. And tap water ergh!

Good luck

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

We've been told to pack toiletries for the baby as well, and nappies aren't supplied either at our hospital.

Did you include your hair brush in things to grab at the last minute? All I remember from my sister's births is that her hair was a mess afterwards LOL. I've packed a toothbrush and mini toiletries for DH too in case he feels like freshening up. Also I'll be packing some snacks for both of us because we have food allergies and it might be hard to find something to snack on in the hospital or the 7/11 across the road.
change of clothes for hubby...maybe a pair of shorts in case you need a shower and him to massage you?
Sign in to follow this topic