Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. BABY IS FACING THE WRONG WAY! SPINE ON SPINE DELIVERY???

BABY IS FACING THE WRONG WAY! SPINE ON SPINE DELIVERY??? Rss

i was going to attempt a drug free labour or even hold off for as long as possible until i found out that my baby is in a spine on spine position, i hear this can cause a bit of difficulty and more pain... so basically im wondering if anybody has still gone drug free or just on the gas and oxygen with their baby in this position? how did it go for you?
hi
my first baby was in the posteria posistion (spine on spine) i had minor conractions for about 10hrs - 30sec long every 3mins when i got to the hospital they had gotten extremly painful and on top of each other i had dilated to about 2cm so they broke my waters i was in labor after my waters were broken for 5hrs i had in that time 2 shots of pethadine and the gas, i had complications as my son was born but it is not known if it was cuz my son was facing the wrong way or not, i've been told that babies facing the wrong way can result in longer more painful labors, i was in labor for 1 and a half hours with my second son just having the gas and with my 3rd it was 45min, i'm due anyday with my 4th who i think is in the posteria position, with my last 2 i drank rasberry leaf tea (RLT), with this one i've also drank RLT but have changed to the tablets and been inserting evening primrose oil capsuals as they help prepare the body for labor so i'm hoping they help with the labor of this one, i'll keep you posted.
sorry about long post, hope it helps
valerie
i have been taking the RL tablets at full dose for a week but worked up to it in a smaller dose for about 3 weeks. i am hoping that aids for a better delivery but i really didnt want to have to result in a EPI or a c-sec... i am trying the TENS unit for delivery but since bub is posteria i gotta feeling that the TENS isnt gonna cut it for pain relief anymore :/ whats the evening primrose for??? is it a tablet???
I don't know what drugs mum took with me but I do know that i was a spine on spine natural delivery (29 years ago). Pretty certain that she didn't have a epidural so she must have managed with either gas or pethidine (or a combination of both). Mum said that the pain with me was a lot different to the pain with my sisters because it was more in the back area but that all her labours were reasonably short (about 6-10 hours from memory).

All the best and I hope everything works out well for you.

Leisa.
i have since found out that a few of my friends have had posteria babies nad they have all said it took a little longer and they had more back labour but nothing to dramatically worse. hope they are right haha
My midwife told me at last visit that my baby is in the posterior/lateral position, which means facing front/side. I have been told to sit forward as often as I can as it can help the baby turn. Try sitting on a dining chair facing the other way, or a swiss ball. Put lots of cushions behind you if you are sitting on a sofa so you don't lean back. I am hoping this works for me as I have heard the same, that labour pains are stronger and in your back with posterior babies. Good luck!

Our beautiful boy arrived 16/12/09

Munchkin was posterior and early labour was loooong. it didn't start getting painful though until I was about 4cms or so. In saying that I still managed with only the gas which I'm happy with as I too wanted to go as natural as possible. I also found really hot showers helpful (I tried the bath but it just drove me nuts) and my midwife showed DH accupressure points on my lower back which were really helpful too. I spent most of my contractions on hands and knees, it was the most comfortable position smile

Good luck.

Love my boys M-10/05/08 J-01/12/09

yea i read up on some ways to turn baby, they also think spending half hour a day on your hands and knees helps baby to turn aswel, i hope im not in for a really long labour ergh.... i am hoping to try hands and knees or leaning against the bed as i have a really bad back as it is so i find it hard to lay down without labour lol
If its anyhelp - I fractured my pelvis 10 years ago so we didn't know if I could do it naturally at all. giving birth is much less painful wink

Love my boys M-10/05/08 J-01/12/09

DD was born posterior and although the labour was long and painful we got through it. Because it took so long I had pethidine in the last 2 hours (after being in the hospital for 19 hours already) and it did really hurt in the back but some people have back labours the other way anyway. Only thing that worries me about the possibility of another posterior bub is they said DD would have got stuck if she was any bigger due to her position and she was only 2.4kg!!
hi
Evening Primrose oil (EPO) are jell capsuals, when inserted into the vagina (sorry TMI) they help soften the cervix and help with dilation witch is ment to make labor quicker similar to RLT, you can also take EPO orally
Posted by: PrincessDaddynMe+1
DD was born posterior and although the labour was long and painful we got through it. Because it took so long I had pethidine in the last 2 hours (after being in the hospital for 19 hours already) and it did really hurt in the back but some people have back labours the other way anyway. Only thing that worries me about the possibility of another posterior bub is they said DD would have got stuck if she was any bigger due to her position and she was only 2.4kg!!

OMG i never even thought about bub gettin stuck.... ergh...
Sign in to follow this topic