Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. Wanting to change babys name at 6wks old

Wanting to change babys name at 6wks old Rss

We would like to change our babys name but I'm anxious about peoples reaction.
We never had a name picked out before they were born and took a week to tell people what he was called. But I've never felt the name we told people was quite right for him and we've had some issues with people pronouncing it etc. Hubby wasn't 100% set on it either so we have gone back to our name list and chosen something we both prefer.
We haven't registered his birth yet, but would it be really weird to change it now?
When hearing my sisters baby's name everyone was like really that's a bit weird and we all pronounced it wrong but after a few weeks we got used to it and it's his unique names and can't imagine another name for him . If you generally dislike the name I'd change it and not worry about what people think.
I'd guess that some people will find it a bit strange but they'll forget about it whereas you and your bub have to live with it for the rest of your lives so I'd say if you don't like it and you've got something else you're happy with then change it. Maybe try using the new name out for a few days to check you're happy before telling everyone and registering the birth.
makalu wrote:
I'd guess that some people will find it a bit strange but they'll forget about it whereas you and your bub have to live with it for the rest of your lives so I'd say if you don't like it and you've got something else you're happy with then change it. Maybe try using the new name out for a few days to check you're happy before telling everyone and registering the birth.

^^^^ what she said smile

Just be cautious of the birth registration time frame, I'm not sure about NZ but in Australia you must register the child's birth within 60 days of being born.
I'm not sure what happens if your later than the time frame, but I wouldn't want to wait to find out.

Sign in to follow this topic