Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. Would love your opinion .....

Would love your opinion ..... Rss

So ... turns out that picking a name second time around is much harder!! think we used up the only name we agreed on last time around lol. My partner is 100% set on Otto and although I think it's a cute name, it's not at all popular in New Zealand and my gut feeling tells me it might just be a bit 'too' different? Don't want him to be that kid that goes through life judged by his weird name .... it was quite popular before the war but because one of its countries of origin was Germany it fell WAY out of favour. What you think? ugly? cute? weird? cruel (lol)? or quite funky grin If you met a kid (or a man for that matter) with this name, what would you think?
Hi, my son has an unusual name so I definitely ok with names which aren't popular (in fact we excluded any names which are really popular on that basis alone). As for Otto I'm indifferent. I don't dislike it but I'm not a fan either. However my feeling is that while otto isn't that unusual, if your son doesn't like it, it doesn't lend itself to an easy nickname that they could use instead. Also unless both you and your partner are 100% happy I personally don't think you'll want to use the name and it sounds like you're unsure. However if you do like it, go for it. There'll always be lots of positive and negative thoughts about less common names.
Good luck choosing a name. Sorry not a fan of Otto. When I first read it all I could think about was our garbage bin. In Aus our household garbage bins are called otto bins. Then the thing that popped into my mind was animals the otter.

Sorry good luck. I hope that you can agree on something that you both love.

Im all for different or unusual names but Im also from Aus and first thing I thought of was an Otto bin too..sorry:(
Honestly nearly everyone in this day and age want their kids to have unique names, and I meet kids on a daily basis with horrible names. I think Otto is ok. Not my cuppa tea, (I personally don't like unusual names but most people I know do.) but I know about 5 little kids with horrible names, and others that are also unusual but not too bad. In my sons class he is the only one with a normal name. So in my opinion, if you like Otto, go with it. Alternatively you could find a similar name and shorten it to Otto or make it a middle name as well as a nickname and let him choose which one he goes by when hes older. Goodluck!
I really like the name Otto. it's a classic old fashioned name, which is what I like.
I suggested it to DH for DS2, but he wasn't having any of it.
Good luck deciding smile

Some of our relatives had a baby boy named Otis which is quite similar. I like both versions of the name. If you like it go with it, doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks in the end.
It's a fine name for a boy, a proper name that isn't overused.
Those who don't like it will deal with it. It certainly isn't an outrageous name. You won't find a name everyone's going to like!
I personally prefer to hear a name like 'Otto' than the more mainstream names.
It's a fine name for a boy, a proper name that isn't overused.
Those who don't like it will deal with it. It certainly isn't an outrageous name. You won't find a name everyone's going to like!
I personally prefer to hear a name like 'Otto' than the more mainstream names.
Sign in to follow this topic