Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

How would you pronounce? Lock Rss

I'm not pregnant but my DD1 at daycare as a friend has a friend called Maya.......but its pronounced My-Ah.

I always through My-Ah was spelt Mya? But I did look up a website and it said you could say it My-Ah or May-Ah. Which do you prefer?

So that means Mia...is said Me-Ah?

Anyone with daughters with these names?

I also I quite like it spelt Maia or Maiah smile
I would pronounce it as it reads ~ may-uh

My DD is 'Maia' & its pronounced the same way ~ May-uh

I met with a patient the other day & her name was spelt maia, but pronounced "my-uh"

So many variations.
My dd's middle name is Mia and we pronounce it me-ah but I think it depends on the parents how it is pronounced/spelt.
That's how I would spell it... Like the mayans? Haha was on our short list for dd.
Definately May-a! I like Maia too!
But i love Leila! (pronounced Lay-la) wink

I agree that Maya looks like a nicer way to spell it but i would personally spell the name the way it sounds or you will constantly be correcting people.

If I saw Maya I would pronounce it "may-a" definitely not "my-a" sorry. If you want it so be said "My-a" then I would look at alternate spellings that sound that way..like; myah..sorry
i would pronounce it my-ah it never occured to me others wouldn't lol

how else would you pronounce mia? apart from me-ah
I would pronounce it

My- Ah

and I always thought Mia was pronounced Mee-Ah

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

I have a friend with a Maya (Pronounced May-a). I love it!
I think if you want to pronounce it as My-a, then it should be spelt Mya.
Although at my son's daycare, there is a 'Mya'.. but its spelt Maija!!!!
Confusing blink
Maya is actually our dogs name, and we pronounce it may-ah. My friends niece is called maya and they pronounce it the same way. We did actually toy with the idea of pronouncing it my-ah, if you have ever seen the movie 8 below with Paul Walker (yum), about the sled dogs, (I love dogs & this movie), his lead dog is called my-ah spelt maya which is partly where our dogs name came from.

ETA: we had our dog before we had our daughter, otherwise she'd probably be called Maya, I looooove the name and our gorgeous dog.
I have a friend with a daughter named Maya pronounced My-a but when I read it I say it as May-uh. I'd spell it Mya to save confusion.

I'm not pregnant but my DD1 at daycare as a friend has a friend called Maya.......but its pronounced My-Ah.

I always through My-Ah was spelt Mya? But I did look up a website and it said you could say it My-Ah or May-Ah. Which do you prefer?

So that means Mia...is said Me-Ah?

Anyone with daughters with these names?

I also I quite like it spelt Maia or Maiah smile

When I see 'Maya' I assume it would be pronounced 'May-a'. I do like it spelt Maia. smile It is a very nice name, quite popular though, and of course, so many variations on spelling!

Funny, I've just posted a topic on the name 'Mia' grin

Sign in to follow this topic