Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. 8 days to go and decided we dont like the names we had chosen :(

8 days to go and decided we dont like the names we had chosen :( Lock Rss

so we were out to dinner last night with some friends.... and they asked us about baby names... i normally dont share names but my hubby piped in we have a boys name but ive gone off it as its the name of a weird guy on tv ( Australias got Talent), and we have 2 girls names in mind i have my fav and my wife has her fav.... but i dont think either of us like both names....

this is when i realised hmmmm id better look for a new name and i dont have long... oh and we dont know bubbas sex

bit of background..... my daughter is Georgia Nicole Romanowski, my name is Melissa his name is Ben and the names that were at the top of our list were Declan, Amelia and Jasmine ( so roughly our style) but all out of the question i think sad

so i found my old long short list, please be honest and give feedback as to what you like or suggest something i may not have thought of

Emma Kate
Hannah Claire
Leah Kate
Ella ( havent thought of a midde name yet)
April ( havent thought of a midde name yet)
Caitlin Rochelle
Charlotte Brooke
Isobel Kate - i dont think hubby was keen when i mentioned this one 4 months back

Ryan Jacob
Nathan Connor
Adam Thomas
Adam Michael
Liam Thomas
Daniel Isaac

so we were out to dinner last night with some friends.... and they asked us about baby names... i normally dont share names but my hubby piped in we have a boys name but ive gone off it as its the name of a weird guy on tv ( Australias got Talent), and we have 2 girls names in mind i have my fav and my wife has her fav.... but i dont think either of us like both names....

this is when i realised hmmmm id better look for a new name and i dont have long... oh and we dont know bubbas sex

bit of background..... my daughter is Georgia Nicole Romanowski, my name is Melissa his name is Ben and the names that were at the top of our list were Declan, Amelia and Jasmine ( so roughly our style) but all out of the question i think sad

so i found my old long short list, please be honest and give feedback as to what you like or suggest something i may not have thought of

Emma Kate
Hannah Claire
Leah Kate
Ella ( havent thought of a midde name yet)
April ( havent thought of a midde name yet)
Caitlin Rochelle
Charlotte Brooke
Isobel Kate - i dont think hubby was keen when i mentioned this one 4 months back

Ryan Jacob
Nathan Connor
Adam Thomas
Adam Michael
Liam Thomas
Daniel Isaac

If i were to choose one from each list they would be Charlotte Brooke and Adam Michael smile Good luck! I hope you and your hubby fall in love with a name soon.
I like Emma, Charlotte and Hannah from your girls list.
And Liam, Ryan and Adam from your boys list smile
hello again,

wat about Justin or Joshua, for a boy. and the middle name maybe use daddy's name of a grandfathers name.

a girl - hmmm - well i dont know, hubby and i have finally settled on Amelia.

good luck - hope you find a name you both like. i found if you keep saying it, it eventually sounds nice. hope you have a great birth smile

Hello again, we do keep meeting hope all is well smile

i like teh idea of Joshua and Josh is cute for a little one...

glad you settled on Amelia, my hubby would love to im just convinced its a mouthful with our surname...

goodluck with your little one soon and thankyou
no problem, and thanks.

just thought when i read your post that i didnt tell you DS's name last time (Justin), then remembered he was supposed to be Joshua until hubby decided after birth i should get the first name i prefer. not sure why.

i too agree, Amelia can be a mouthful, reguardless of last name but its the best name we have so far. i hope you settle on a name before you have bub. i only have 18days left so not many more then you smile

We had the same problem - I liked the same 3 names all the way through and hubby decided he didnt like them with days to go....grrrr.

Any particular reason you have chosen a different middle name for each first name?

I would try and narrow just your first names down to 1-4 favourites for both sexes and decide when bub is in your arms. Something will probably just 'fit'. We knew DD2 was a girl and she still had no name for 24hrs, we went to hospital with 5 favourites, and took ages to choose between our favourite two.

Leave your options open for the middle name as you might have a favourite that just misses out that you could use. I was keen to use family names for the middle name of our kids and kinda regret not getting to use my second favourite names - keep telling hubby I'm gunna add them in one day legally - always thought 3 given names was a bit over the top though.

As your surname is long and fairly complex I would go for something easy and short (your 'classic' names are a great choice). I love Ella.

What about Amelia Jasmine or Jasmine Amelia?

Love the name Declan, (could use Declan Ben??)used to babysit a kid by that name (now 16), only one I know - dont be too put off by the one on tv - they will be long gone by the time your potential little guy is old enough to care.

Good Luck
I can relate to the PP and to your situation. For DD2 we narrowed our shortlist to two, one name I loved but stupidly let a friend of mine put me off it, the other I didn't like, but DH did. When she was born she wasn't names for 24 hours due to this and in the end we choose something else which we felt suited her more. It did help that we had settled on her MN which is a family name so that helped.

So I would suggest a list of 3 or 4 names of each sex and when watch and see which one suits bubs. We have always waited to bubs was born before naming as I would prefer to meet them first.

In regards to your list. Like the PP said, since you have a long surname names perhaps go for a shorter first name with 1 or two syllables, rather than a 3 syllable name (like Amelia) .

Therefore from your list I love....
Leah Kate
Hannah Claire
April Charlotte?

Ryan Jacob
Nathan Connor (You could just use Nate instead?)
Adam Thomas

GL
oh baby brain... what was i thinking i have a cousin who is a Joshua and a cousin Justin - and dont like using family names unless i particularly want to honour that person

but i do like the J/Ge sound with Georgia
thankyou... teh only reason i have middle names chosen at all is so i can say teh names out loud and see how they sound etc as i often call my daughter Georgia Nicole, not only when shes in trouble.... as she doesnt have a family name i dont want bubba to have a family name and George feel left out if that makes sense...

and yes we have been trying out Jasmine Amelia and Amelia Jasmine for the past 4 weeks but neither of us are really happy with both options and we arent good at being flexible.

and yeah im more tahn happy to change a middle name to make a compromise smile oh and re family names my husbands middle name is Adam which i quite like for a first name...

im happy to take a few names to hospita but i think my list at the moment is too long and yes i definetly want a 2 sylabble first name i think

thankyou
thankyou,

good to hear im not the only one to get put off a name for silly reasons and yeah i never was keen on not naming a baby ( but not telling anyone) but im growing more used to the idea...

April Charlotte is really pretty .... thankyou i like that
Girls I like Emma,April and Ella.I like your suggestion of Claire as a middle name.
Boys I like Ryan,Nathan and Adam.
Goodluck
Sign in to follow this topic