Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. Children writing their names....

Children writing their names.... Rss

I have noticed a few comments of late that mention names being "easy" for children to spell when they are first learning to write their name.

I dont understand why it's an issue, or something to consider? Surely a child can learn how to write their name no matter if it is Jack or Jeremiah?

I have a 'complicated' 8 letter first name and I dont remember having any issues at all with learning to write it. It's my name and I put as much effort into learning it as any other child in my class would have.

Opinions? Is it something that you have considered? Or is it just par for the course that your child will learn whatever name is given them?
I didn't consider it when naming my 2 girls, mine both have 8 letter names 1 being a 12 lettered hyphonated(sp) name. I don't think they'll be easy for them to learn to write but they will get it one day.

My eldest is 3 and is now starting to ask me to help with her name, I have to spell the letters and show her what each letter is I think she'll get it by grade 1.

Actually Boy-O-Boy the first thing my nanna said to my mum when she heard my name was 'she'll never learn to spell it' but i don't remember having any issues in learning to spell, i could spell it the same time as other children could spell their name. I think the child will learn to write their name no matter how long.
They will learn regardless. DD1 has an 8 letter name. I wrote it down for her on a magna doodle once and she was writing it herself thereafter..
I agree with what everyone else has said, by the time a child is ready to learn how to spell there own name they are so familiar with hearing it that they will learn it the same as a child with an 'easy' name. Its not somthing i even take into consideration when choosing a name!
Never considered it, I have a long full name (over 30 letters) and I was writing the entire thing by year 1. Learning to spell their own name is one of the first things kids want to learn to spell so naturally they will practice until they get it right.
I take it into account that its the most commonly used spelling of that name otherwise it can get confusing for the child if people are always spelling it differently when they are first learning (if they know the child it's different).

E.g. I was writing a name on a child's painting at Kindy, a sibling of a Kindy child Mum said "Sienna" so I put Sienna it was spelt Siena.

I don't think its actually learning to write it thats the problem. I think when names aren't spelt phonetically (the way they sound) there is issues with what letters match which sounds. This transfers to possible issues in reading and writng/ spelling.
eg Alaycia - spelling and pronounced Al-ee-sha(prob not a great example but feeling a little brain-sore today!)

What I mean is - spelling it how it sounds makes it easier for the child to learn the principles of spelling! Not to mention having to correct the spelling for the rest of their life.
Posted by: Rubbadubba
I think when names aren't spelt phonetically (the way they sound) there is issues with what letters match which sounds. This transfers to possible issues in reading and writng/ spelling.
eg Alaycia - spelling and pronounced Al-ee-sha(prob not a great example but feeling a little brain-sore today!)

What a good point! I'd never thought of it like that smile
Children learn to write their names before they learn the alphabet so its not an issue. As a prep teacher, children write their name on memorisation from repitition. The only thing that bothers me is constantly being told by students 'thats not how you spell my name' because it has been spelt ridiculously but each to their own. I gave my 2 darlings quite common names that wont be spelt incorrectly their whole life as i know how frustrated children get when their name is constantly spelt wrong.
hey all

I am an early childhood teacher and what children find most difficult when learning to write their name is the correct letter formations.

Many parents make the mistake of teaching their child to write their name in all capitals - as far as teaching is concerned this is one of the hardest things to correct, plus the child's name automatically looks different when we write it in lower case print, therefore confusing the child.

Check with your state/school as to what "print style" they use and teach your child using that!

Neets x

I don't think it's an issue at all. They are eventually going to learn to spell and write so of course they will learn to spell their own name. It may take a little more practise than if they had a 3 or 4 letter name, but they will get there! There are plenty of other long words in the English language they will have to learn to spell too!

Our beautiful boy arrived 16/12/09

Sign in to follow this topic