Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

The last name Rss

My partner and I are not married, in fact we are not even together any more lol!
When our daughter was born, my father told me that she should have her fathers last name, as it is traditional. As she has a very long name already, (Maya Grace Te Irirangi Marama) I decided not to hyphen it, and so she is now a Davis like her Daddy.
She is now 18 mths old, but lately I have started being annoyed that she doesn't carry my name. Not because I don't like her father or anything, just because she is my daughter and I am raising her, and we have two different names.
On the other hand, her father also has children from previous relationships who all carry his name, so she has the same name as her bros and sister.
I'm thinking about hyphening her name, and getting her birth cert changed. Then her name will be Maya Grace Te Irirangi Marama Fahy-Davis. I know it sounds long, but she usually just gets called Maya or Maya Grace.
What do you think? I'm really in two minds over this - part of me wants her to have my name, and the other says that I'm being silly and should just leave it alone!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

I don't think your being silly at all. I would change it if it was me.

Jo

mum of 1

I can see your point, too. It is a really long name but nothing says you have to list all her names on most things. Even legal documents often only need an initial. As you mostly use only Maya Grace, a hyphenated name is not that big a deal, and they are both easy last names. Good luck with your decision.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

its up to you i really dont think that one name would matter. shes your little girl too and if you are not happy chuck your last name there too. i would understand why you would want to do this as when she goes to school or whatever at least you have the same last name

good luck with your decisions

*HUGS*

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Thanks for all your replies. I am still not sure, I really feel that this is the right thing to do, but I don't know if her dad has to agree and sign the forms, and I'm not sure how he would feel about it.
On teh other hand, when I talked to my mum, she didn't tell me I was being silly, she thought I had some valid reasons.

just inquire about it and see whats involved about changing her name, this might sound stupid but could you change it via deed poll? i dont know much about anything like that...

sorry i cant help and i do think your reasons are valid also. my daughter took my fiances last name, we plan to marry one day but it makes it hard for doctors appointments and all that stuff...

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Over here you can change your babies name on their birth cert until they are 2 years, after that you have to do the whole deed poll thing.
The other thing is that her baptismal cert, her engraved birth cert tube and her name plate all have only his name on.
I'll let you all know when I finally decide!

Sign in to follow this topic