Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Two under 2! How did you cope? Lock Rss

We're going to have 2 little boys under 2 in the next few months! Currently my 18month old is an angel (mostly haha)
I'm so exhausted just running around and looking after him, how did other mums catch up on sleep/stop from feeling SO exhausted once there were two little ones in the family?
DS1 sleeps very well and is on a great routine, 1 or 2 naps a day and a set bedtime every night and he sleeps through...
Did the birth of a new baby throw out your older childrens routine? I don't want to reverse our hardwork to get him into a great routine and have him looking forward to bedtime...

Any tips on the addition of another baby to the family... How you get toddlers to understand whats going on/how to keep everyone happy! (including myself!)

TIA!

I just posted about this too as I am now in that boat, with a 9 day old and 19 month old.

The first one, lets just say, hasn't adapted too well, yet!

I am hoping some mums on here have some ideas for me but, if not, I am hoping the next 6 weeks (until I have recovered from my c-sec better) go really, really fast!
I just stayed really relaxed, and went with the flow. The more anxious you are I think the babies feel it. Mine were 20 months apart. It was fine. We just worded him up he was going to have a little sis, isn't it exciting, etc... No presents from the baby, all that stuff, just how it is. I wish I had had a capsule, got one for #3, life saver, they can sleep, it's a rocker, if you get an adapter to the pram too, even better. Trying to get them to sleep together was good. Also as my two were in rooms beside each other, if she was going through a rough patch, I just set up the portacot in the office for night time so she didn't wake everyone. Do whatever you need too. It is fantastic now, they are 7 and 5 1/2, and super close. I had the other 3 years later, and I much prefer the shorter gap. Get over the first few months and you'll be fine! Godd luck.
I have the same 20month age gap between my girls and found the same you just have to relax and go with the flow. I found it fairly easy when DD2 was a baby but found it a lot harder to get out of the house when she was 12months as opposed to being newborn. She was a great little sleeper so I think that helped, just don't worry about anything it doesn't matter if you all spend your day in your pj's and no one has their hair done, doesn't matter if the house is messy etc. good luck smile

Forever, for always and no matter what

im on my 7th baby and im unsure as to how i cope,i just do i guess but i take each day as it comes(you have good and bad days) i have a good routine that i always stick to and it just works, sometimes it doesn't even feel like i have 6 its amazing

you will be fine hun having 2 under 2 will be awesome they will play with one another as they get older

mummaof6xx wrote:
im on my 7th baby and im unsure as to how i cope,i just do i guess but i take each day as it comes(you have good and bad days) i have a good routine that i always stick to and it just works, sometimes it doesn't even feel like i have 6 its amazing

you will be fine hun having 2 under 2 will be awesome they will play with one another as they get older

Wow, you are super mum! And I thought 2 was hard smile

I have 2 under 2, DS is 2 next month and DD is 5 months old so 18mth age gap.
I stressed a lot as well prior to DD's birth as I really didn't know what to expect and how DS would adapt. Because I had such an easy birth with DD I did not get tired or even feel sleep deprived at all, even though she did (and still does) wake to feed in the night.
I have to say DS has adapted wonderfully even though he was too young at the time to understand the concept of having a sibling. There was no jealousy at all and he got used to her really quickly. I had family help for the first 3 weeks and after that I learnt to multi task really well (walking around bf while keeping an eye on DS)
DS's routine didn't change, however our sleeping arrangements are a little different to most peoples. DH sleeps with DS in his room (separate beds) and I co sleep with DD. That way we all get our sleep.
For nap times I now try to get them both down for a nap at the same time so I get a little bit of time to myself. DD is a very laid back baby and goes to sleep easy so I've been lucky in that respect.

Try not to worry too much. You will be surprised at how easily your little man will adapt. When they're that young they just accept things as they are. As long as you ensure he gets enough attention and one on one time you will be fine. Best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy smile
Hi have 21 months between mine and these are my tips

Get your partner to take annual leave
Then get your mum to take a week off after your partner goes back to work
Then your mil if possible.
Just so you can have someone to play with your toddler

Make lunch and prepare snacks in advance so you can easily give him food.

I found the time before dinner hardest so I would use my slow cooker lots and make double meals like spag bol, whole chicken, chicken drums, casserole. Or I made pizzas, wraps or burgers to reheat at meal time.
Then in the late arvo I usually put dd1 in a long bath, coz she loved baths and I would watch her rocking, feeding or holding the baby. And often I would fill the bath and wash the newborn the put dd1 in.

DD2 slept in the pram during the day so it was easy to move her as round the house.

Get your groceries delivered!!!

Put a wash on when ever you can and ask DH to hang it out at night...and get the other load in

I found DD1 was fine with the baby around, she didn't really notice.
I have a 11 and a 10 year old now a soon to be 3 and 2 year old.... I found having everything prepared. Such as feeds. Cloths. Helpful. Before feeding your youngest have food and water ready for the slightly older child. It also helps to avoid jealousy. Most of all. While pregnant don't listen to silly comments from people. Because they just make you worry when there is no need... Mums are resilient, creative and will overcome all... I'm Sure you will do great.
Sign in to follow this topic