Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. how often does a newborn bf a day??

how often does a newborn bf a day?? Lock Rss

hi there just wondering how often my 4 day old should be breasfeeding?? my milk came in yesterday and the nurses told me that she shouldnt need feeding any more than every 3 hours.... just wondered if this was correct or it should be more less??

i feel like a first time mum again

hi there just wondering how often my 4 day old should be breasfeeding?? my milk came in yesterday and the nurses told me that she shouldnt need feeding any more than every 3 hours.... just wondered if this was correct or it should be more less??

Mine was 3 hourly, but even now at 4 months every now and then she will decide an hour or two hours later that she is still hungry.
I think the general rule is 3-4 hourly, but that doesn't mean your little one won't want it 2 hourly. As long as you feel she is getting enough, having the 5+ heavy wet nappies, then go with whatever she wants. I demand fed, and still do really. If you have any worries it's worth ringing the ABA helpline, they really are great.
Hi....

Congratulations on your new bub.
It depends on how much milk you produce and how well bubby is suckling and also when they are having a growth spurt they'll tend to drink more and more often.
But the advice you received is pretty spot on.
We fed every 4 hours like clock work until DD was about 8wks.
(She started sleeping through then so during the day she changed to feeding every 3 hours and slept 8 hours overnight)
Each little one is unique and will find their own rhythm.

Good luck!

Where has my list gone........?

My son was four hourly - on the dot! 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 11pm, 3am, etc.
Ds2 fed every hour and a half to 2 hours for the first week! After that he fed 2 hourly during the day and 3 hourly overnight as a newborn although he would feed hourly around the clock when he was having an growth spurt! I say ignore the nurse! They are all different and if you think bub is hungry then let bub feed. While some may be happy to feed 4 hourly other may need it sooner.

Congratulations. DD1 was every two hours and at night before bed she would have a few feeds every hour. Very tiring work, isnt it? lol

DD2 was feeding every three hours and then started wanting it every two at about two months.

Ive always been told that if they're hungry, feed them. Demand feeding is a big thing at the hospital i went to. Especially in the early days, if you leave the bub too long they might become too distressed to attach properly.
I demand fed too. I never looked at a clock - DD fed when she wanted it right up to 13 months smile

Once bubs has the hang of it they may not need feeding for less then 3 hours (although some do) but while they are getting used to it (and you) they may need feeding more often. Mine fed every 1.5-2 hours for the first week or so then it spread out. When they need to increase or establish your milk supply, they also up their frequency of feeding. It is basically like putting in an order to your boobs. I want this much milk, your boobs then produce that much.
If your baby wants to feed more often then 3 hours at this stage, you need to let it. This is essential to establishing your supply. Just listen to your daughter, she knows exactly what she is doing. wink
Sign in to follow this topic