Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

normal?? Lock Rss

hey.
just wondering if this is normal mayb bubs is goin through a growth spurt or possibly not getting enough milk from me?
hes 2 and a half weeks old.
he fed at
4:30am 20mins each side
6:30am 20mins each side
9:30am 30mins each side
11am 20mins each side
12:15 20mins each side

and still does not seem satisfied. hes crying lots and wont settle until i put him bak on the boob.
and is trying to latch on to everything!
do u think i should top him up with abit of formula?
hes had 1 poo nappy and 2 wet nappys so far today.
Sounds like he's getting enough. I wouldnt use formula. Maybe he's just feeling abit off today & needs abit more comforting? Also around 2 weeks they tend to get abit louder as the sleepy newborn phase passes. Does he use a dummy? He might just be after something to suck on smile
It's still early days in terms of building up your supply so just keep persevering with putting him on as often as possible. Do not give formula, it will not help your supply in any way. Make sure you're taking in plenty of fluids too and try to eat well. A bowl of porridge for breakfast or have someone make you a batch of lactation cookies <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
The midwives have said that they often find mothers give up breastfeedibg at around 3weeks because of exactly what your experiencing. I'd say bub is just having a growth spurt (usually happens at 3 and 6 weeks old). It's probably gonna be a long week for u but stick it out bub will settle down once your milk supply catches up with him smile
Sucks trying to work them out hey smile
The first 2 months are pretty much just a massive growth spurt lol one ends and it feels like another begins lol

Like the ladies said, only early days. Your body is just trying to work out how much you need etc, as well as baby being hungry and getting what he needs.

Trust your body and just go with it! Your body knows what to do, you just have to have faith smile

thanks ladies. saw the midwife and she said itll b a growth spurt as he hasnt pooed since this morning and feeing like crazy!
he hasnt got bak to his birth weight just yet so he prob will be soon!

it is quite hard as im still having trouble with feeding and sore cracked nipples. which dont seem to be healing.
hopefully itll get easier soon im still persevering and i brought a breastpump 2 so hopefully thtll give my nipples a chance to rest and heal.
Best of luck, you're doing so well to persevere through the pain of cracked nipples - I remember that far too well! It's a lot easier to feed once the pain is gone, are you using lansinoh? And did the MW check his attachment? If the pain gets too much you can use nipple shields to help. Make sure you take care of yourself during his growth spurt - lots of water, don't forget to eat and try to sleep when he does smile It gets easier after the first 6 weeks.

Best of luck, you're doing so well to persevere through the pain of cracked nipples - I remember that far too well! It's a lot easier to feed once the pain is gone, are you using lansinoh? And did the MW check his attachment? If the pain gets too much you can use nipple shields to help. Make sure you take care of yourself during his growth spurt - lots of water, don't forget to eat and try to sleep when he does smile It gets easier after the first 6 weeks.

thanks!! yea he has a really good attachment but often pulls bak and he moves around alot aswell.
she said wen he does tht to take him off and reattach him but he does it constantly so i have to reattach him quite alot.
yup i brought the biggest tube of lansinoh i could get! lol
and i been using a nipple shield on the right nipple as thts quite bad but is still pretty painful and hasnt healed
yup ive been trying to eat and drink as much as i can. been abit hard today as hes been feeding so often and crying alot and only slept for an hour the whole day.
thanks for the advice though makes me feel beter knowing others have been through wat i am at the moment and understand what its like.

thanks!! yea he has a really good attachment but often pulls bak and he moves around alot aswell.
she said wen he does tht to take him off and reattach him but he does it constantly so i have to reattach him quite alot.
yup i brought the biggest tube of lansinoh i could get! lol
and i been using a nipple shield on the right nipple as thts quite bad but is still pretty painful and hasnt healed
yup ive been trying to eat and drink as much as i can. been abit hard today as hes been feeding so often and crying alot and only slept for an hour the whole day.
thanks for the advice though makes me feel beter knowing others have been through wat i am at the moment and understand what its like.

My right nipple was the worst too - didn't heal til DS was 4 weeks old! He had terrible attachment though, took 2 months to get the hang of BFing but now at 6 months is so attached to his booby it's insane...It really is all worth it in the end! Hope you get some sleep tonight smile
Sign in to follow this topic