Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Nipple shield Rss

Hi ladies..

I am a first time mum and I have a 10 day old DD... From day 4 I have been using a nipple shield as when I feed without it my nipples get so torn apart they bleed!!

Anyway my lite girl has really really bad wind and no matter what I do i cannot seem to comfort her or get her to bring it up .. I have tried over the shoulder, sitting on my lap, laying chest to chest, rubbing her tummy and doing the small cycles with her legs but it doesn't seem to help and she is constantly squirming and grunting trying to bring it up.. At night she is waking up every 2-3hrs for a feed and by the time I get some wind up and get her settled after a feed she is almost due for a feed again and I get less than 1hr sleep in-between...

I feel helpless!!! Could it be the nipple shield causing all this wind?? I have considered giving her formula but.. When I was in hospital the midwives kept lecturing me on how bad formula is for babies and that it is like poison.. I know that it's not that bad but I still feel guilty.. What if the formula doesn't help??

Sorry for the long post I just feel so helpless towards my little girl and think it may be my fault she has so much wind!!!
When she feeds, does she latch on well, or can you hear gurgling and clicking? Shields do cause more wind than direct BF, but nowhere near as much as a bottle does.

At 10 days she's still figuring out the whole feeding deal.
Ky had bad tummy pains too, and my LC suggested using Infacol/wind drops even though she was under one month, and to do half the dose.
The other thing that worked for me was to leave her on her belly along my knees for ten minutes before trying to burp her. It seemed to help settle the bubbles and made burping quicker.

Head to your local breastfeeding clinic and have a chat. They can give you tips on using the shields.

Don't give up yet! All the best.
Sounds like your little girl is suffering from colic and the nipple shield wont have anything to do with this at all. Apart from what you've been doing you could also lay her on her back and put her toes up and down to her nose. Colic normally lasts about 12 weeks but when she's a month you could try infacol which is great for colic. You could buy infants friend which I think they can have from newborn and see how that goes. Otherwise Chiro can also help.

It's quite normal for babies to feed that often as they are building up your milk supply. It's just worse when they have colic as you have to spend even more time with them getting the wind up which can mean less sleep for you. Formula wont help, in fact it can make it worse - as it's harder to digest than breastmilk.

For the problem with sore nipples, put lasinoh on them, air them after a feed and see a lactation consultant to help with getting attachment sorted.

BF can be really hard and demanding at the start. Some days you'll love it and others you wont. Set little goals for yourself - get to one month, 3 months, 6 months etc. By about 12 weeks when the colic is settled and the breastfeeding is easier you will find it so much more rewarding and it really is so much easier than making and cleaning bottles.

Good luck smile
Sounds like our babies might be twins. I was only able to BF using a nipple shield. Infacol wind drops made a huge difference, and gave me a little more time between feeds at night. Although I was made to feel like a criminal for considering formula, I persisted with BF for 6 weeks until a midwife said to me different things work for different people, and as it turned out formula was the turning point for my daughter and I. It was the right thing for us!
Hi Ladies

Sorry to cut into this convo but I'm also needing advice on nipple shields. My DD is 8 days old & I'm using nipple shields, I find she feeds well on them and I have been unable to get her to latch properly without them.
Some midwives and nurses told me its best not to use them for a long period as they might decrease milk supply. I'm worried this might happen but no matter how much I try, she just feeds better with the shields. One midwife told me she breast fed both her children for 6 months using the shields and had no problems with milk supply and I have a friend who said she used them with her kids.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Honeychild wrote:
Hi Ladies

Sorry to cut into this convo but I'm also needing advice on nipple shields. My DD is 8 days old & I'm using nipple shields, I find she feeds well on them and I have been unable to get her to latch properly without them.
Some midwives and nurses told me its best not to use them for a long period as they might decrease milk supply. I'm worried this might happen but no matter how much I try, she just feeds better with the shields. One midwife told me she breast fed both her children for 6 months using the shields and had no problems with milk supply and I have a friend who said she used them with her kids.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi smile I used a nipple shield for 5ish months as my DS just wouldn't attach to me otherwise. I was encouraged to try to do without them as much as possible, but after many refusals, I found it too hard & just stuck with the nipple shields. It was a pain in some ways as I'd always have to clean them, ended up getting a second set for when I'm out and I found it harder to be relaxed breastfeeding when I used shields. I actually felt "guilty" for using them, like I was doing my baby harm! While I never did do my boy any harm, he slowly dropped off the percentile graphs, he went from the 25th percentile when born to just under the 3rd percentile. Don't remember why I stopped using them, but when I did, I did notice an increase in milk, an increase in how quickly he fed (used to take at least an hour ++ down to about 30-40 minutes which was great!) and when weighed a few weeks later had jumped up a couple of lines in the weight percentile graph. I am still breastfeeding my boy a couple of times a day and he's 2 in a fortnight. I always had great supply, but each and every person is different.

Good luck with it! Feel free to ask anymore questions if you need to!
I used a shield for a while, do you have the right size? And maybe stop at regular intervals to burp, but you probably tried that! New Bubs guts are very immature and having milk in there does take getting used to!

And don't stress if you want to give formula, it isn't poison:) i breast feed for the 4 months while my son was in the hospital (he was prem) and the doctors encouraged my decision to change to formula and they wouldnt have if it were posion:)are you able to speak to a lactation consultant?
I tried using a shield but it didnt really work for us. My nipples were cracked sore and bleeding, I expressed when it got to bad and used lansonoh after every feed. It took nearly 4 weeks and im glad i stuck with it with out a shield now feeding is easy and painless. I was in so much pain crying every feed it felt like Razor blades. Just stick with it an get some advice on feeding positions and im sure u can get a way that is both easy and comfortable to feed. The pain does stop,an the only way to harden ur nipples is to just keep doing it. Pluuls you will feel closer to your baby and your bond will grow even more, skin to skin contact is very important.
Good luck ladies xo
Sign in to follow this topic