Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Bleeding after birth? Lock Rss

Hi guys.
So I have been told a few things and I am just wondering what happens.
How much do you bleed after birth? Some people bleed for weeks, Others a few days.
Whats the normal rate going?
And I am trying to get ready for hospital and they say take 3 packets of martenity pads. There are only 7 in a packet, Is it enough?
And what pads are good. I have never used them before so i have no idea. Thanks smile
i bled for i think 6 weeks, then it stopped for a week then i bled for another 4 weeks, it didnt really stop all of a sudden it just slowly got lighter and lighter and ligher.

as for maternity pads, i took 1 packet with me and didnt use any of them. the hospital just gave me as many as i needed. just take 2 or 3 packs and if you need more then send someone off to get you some. you dont wanna fill your hospital bag up with stuff that can always be bought once bubs is here
I found that the first few days were pretty heavy and I used the maternity pads then but after a few days it was just like an af level and i just used normal pads. It then gradually tapered off.

Leisa
I had a home birth and on the information sheet from the midwife she suggested to use the tena brand in the largest size -as they are bigger and hold more, I also got a packet of maternity pads to use after and at night.
I bled heavily for the first couple of days and it lasted for 2 weeks.
I bled very heavily for 4 days and used the hospital pads. At one stage i was even leaking through those in a few hours. I bled just enough for normal pads after a week or 2. Used 3 packs of maternity pads in the first 2 week. I bled in total for 6 weeks.
10 weeks - the hospital gave me heaps when I was in there, but I took two packs of Libra Maternity in with me because I didn't realise they supplied them.

I bled for 6 - 8 weeks after all my DD's. Pretty heavy for the first 10 days and then it lightened up a lot but was still there for the next month or so. I definitely used more than the recommended maternity pads. I think I went through 2 pkts alone in the first few days, but that was just me, everyone is different.

I used the Kotex Maternity pads and found them super absorbant and comfy for all those stitches too wink

I think it all depends on your birth and if you BF. I had a natural birth and BF so i bled for about 6 weeks. I went through 3 packs of maternity pads in 2 days as i was extremely heavy and changing almost every hour. After about a week or so it was just like AF but i choose to use the maternity pads longer as they are quite thick and provide great padding down there ( i had a 2nd degree tear both times) Im pretty sure i probably only used about 5 packs all up before i changed to everyday one. As a PP said i would only pack about 3 packs and get someone to buy more if needed.

Hi guys.
So I have been told a few things and I am just wondering what happens.
How much do you bleed after birth? Some people bleed for weeks, Others a few days.
Whats the normal rate going?
And I am trying to get ready for hospital and they say take 3 packets of martenity pads. There are only 7 in a packet, Is it enough?
And what pads are good. I have never used them before so i have no idea. Thanks smile

I bleed for about 3 weeks but it was really heavy for the first 3 days. I went through about a packet of maternity pads a day, I used the carefree ones and have been told the libra ones are hopeless.

I found that the first few days were pretty heavy and I used the maternity pads then but after a few days it was just like an af level and i just used normal pads. It then gradually tapered off.

Leisa

I was the same.

This time Im taking a pack of mat pads, and a pack of normal pads, and Ill go from there. If I need more mat pads ill get DP to get me some.

about 6 weeks here too!

you know what the best thing is for straight after the birth....a newborn nappy!! my midwife said to use that for the first couple of hours! worked a treat!
I bled heavy for the first 2-3 days then after 5 days i stopped for 2 weeks then bleed for a week after that but just like period kind of bleeding.. everyone is different i found it worse when i stood up as thats when it all comes out lol
Sign in to follow this topic