Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Your Premmie / NICU / SCN Baby
  5. Having my babies at 36 weeks and one will be in NICU

Having my babies at 36 weeks and one will be in NICU Rss

I am having my twin girls in just over 2 weeks. One will be in NICU for medical reasons, I am just worried as i wont have her with me like I am used too like it was with my last 2 children.
Al the best! I'm sure your little girl will be in good hands. Not exactly the same as twins but my dd was born at 36 weeks and was fine, a few checks on her breathing early on plus some jaundice but nothing serious. After a week in hospital we were able to go home. Hope she is better than expected and doesn't have to be there too long smile

mumma of 4 wrote:
I am having my twin girls in just over 2 weeks. One will be in NICU for medical reasons, I am just worried as i wont have her with me like I am used too like it was with my last 2 children.

Just wanted to send you wub . I am sure your twin will be fine. My twin sister & I were born 6 weeks early and were not allowed home for a whole month.

When ds was born he was taken off me & put in NICU for about 4 days due to some internal problems he was having. I just went & visited him each day and held him. The staff were great and knew what they were doing so I had no worries there.

Supermummy wrote:
Hey Hun, I worked in Nicu for many years and I know it must be hard as to leave your baby there! We had some where the parents had 1 twin at home and 1 in hospital and we provided another cot etc that lived by the hospital twin for the mum to use when they visited etc.

Hope it all goes well for you!

Ill have one twin at home and one at hospital and i have to travel over a hour a day just to see her, and express its quite daunting and been trying to not worry about it all, but the closer it comes the harder it is to think about it all

GarfieldRules wrote:
mumma of 4 wrote:

Just wanted to send you wub . I am sure your twin will be fine. My twin sister & I were born 6 weeks early and were not allowed home for a whole month.

When ds was born he was taken off me & put in NICU for about 4 days due to some internal problems he was having. I just went & visited him each day and held him. The staff were great and knew what they were doing so I had no worries there.

nawww atleast you got to cuddle him, ill have to wait (hopefully only) a few days to cuddle my little girl fingers cross no surgery needed
I won't lie, it is heart breaking not having your baby with you, even when you know it is in their best interest. I was very lucky with my 34 weeker as she only needed 7 days in SCN. The good news is that expressing and bringing your milk in should be slightly easier given you will have the joy of having one of your twins with you and feeding (presuming the second twin doesn't need SCN for prematurity). Make sure that you work hard with the expressing in the early days (and seek any help you need) even if your NICU twin isn't allowed to receive it yet. The early days/weeks set up your supply for later on and they can freeze any colostrum or milk for when they are ready to receive etereal feeds. Equally, if you discover you aren't one of the Mums blessed with the ability to express don't beat yourself up. Even with a plentiful supply, some Mums just aren't able to get milk out (or enough out) without a baby doing the work, no matter how hard they try and how much they want to.

I hope everything goes well for you in a couple of weeks and your twins both do really well with any surgery or growing they may need smile

Also, make sure you have something sorted so far as looking after your eldest kids, it's a tough road for them too. It is a tricky balance between keeping it as normal as possible for them and making sure they still feel special and get the elder sibling experience. How old are your children?

Thanks LilGem, she will be put straight on a feeding tube so she will get (hopefully) my milk straight away if im able to express.

My kids are 6 and 3, my partner and his family are helping out with it all, they are amazing. Ive sat down and explained to my 6 year old that one bubba is going to need a little more help from doctors and he wont get to give her a cuddle straight away, my 3 year old is a little too young to tell but she will be happy to cuddle just one for now.
If you know she will be allowed NG feeds after birth, it might be worth asking your doctors if you can do antenatal expressing to provide a small starting amount while you get up and running. Given you have twins on board they might give you a big fat NO, but if not, being even a few mL in storage helps ease the pressure most of us like to put on ourselves wink .

You may be surprised by your 3 year old. DD1 is 2 1/2 and coped amazingly well, I was admitted for a few weeks before DD2s arrival so she needed some explanation (in kiddy friendly terms) and she has been very understanding. We had a surprise extra week back in hospital when DD2 was a few weeks old (disappearing when she was asleep) and even then she was a trooper. Just goes to show how switched on little ones are happy

LilGem wrote:
If you know she will be allowed NG feeds after birth, it might be worth asking your doctors if you can do antenatal expressing to provide a small starting amount while you get up and running. Given you have twins on board they might give you a big fat NO, but if not, being even a few mL in storage helps ease the pressure most of us like to put on ourselves wink .

You may be surprised by your 3 year old. DD1 is 2 1/2 and coped amazingly well, I was admitted for a few weeks before DD2s arrival so she needed some explanation (in kiddy friendly terms) and she has been very understanding. We had a surprise extra week back in hospital when DD2 was a few weeks old (disappearing when she was asleep) and even then she was a trooper. Just goes to show how switched on little ones are happy

may i ask (and this may sound silly) what is antenatal expressing?

ive never expressed before and my next visit is next friday and twins will be here within a week after that
Hey I work in NICU. It's a terribly daunting thing to come to terms with and the environment in NICU can be very stressful especially for a new mum. There are a few organisations that can provide support, such as Miracle Babies. Hospital will also have access to social workers and counsellors if you need them. It will be a challenge to balance your other baby and also visiting your baby in hospital. I hope your little one does not need a long stay in NICU.

Antenatal expressing is just expressing before the baby is born. It just means that there is some milk already there if you are taking a little while to build your supply up. It's normal to only get very small volumes but often they only start on 1ml every 2 hours. Best advice in regards to milk supply and expressing is to start straight away after birth and keep it up every 3 hours day and night.

Hope all goes well for your twins. Celebrate all the little things while you wait for your babies to both be home together smile

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Funny you say that supermummy. Was only just talking to a LC at work about antenatal expressing and if it really does cause preterm labour. She said it's unlikely to if you're only doing it once or twice a day, but that said, if you're already on the edge it may be enough to tip you over. Seems opinions are divided on this topic

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Supermummy wrote:
I wouldn't recommend antenatal expressing. It's more likely to bring on labour and as you are still semi early its not the best of moves.

With expressing, it will be hard as you will already be feeding one but what I would do is feed on one side while expressing from the other. Then next feed do it the other side so you are still getting bubs on both breasts as they drain them better than a pump but the pumping at the same time will help with you getting more and also help your supply. smile

Good luck!

i looked it up, they suggested to start antenatal expressing at 36 weeks, and thats when i am having them..

but thank you for that piece of advice as i would never of thought of doing it like that i really appreciate that wink
Sign in to follow this topic