Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Cervical Stich or No Stich :S Rss

Hi Guys,

Has anybody had the cervical stich for Cervical insufficiency (incompetent cervix)?
what was your experience with it? i've done a bit of research and am undecided as to wether it would be benificial or not, I read that it can actually send you into labour in some cases.

I have a 15 Month old Ryan, I went into labour with him at 28 weeks which was successfully stopped and then again at about 30 weeks which was stopped, we kept him in until 35 weeks due to my cervix shortening more and more each week from his growing weight (and him kicking it, I have an ultrasound photo with his foot right on it!)

My partner and I are about to start trying again, we've been told there is a good chance the same thing will happen with this next bub... Help?

Hi - Not sure how the 'trying is going' as your post was 9 months ago. I had a stitch recently at 23 weeks, no prior history, my obstetrician was amazing and is a very good surgeon. At this late stage I think there are a lot more risks, but not as risky as the other option (not having one). There are risks to any procedure, however I had nil complications but as a precaution - nil lifting, exercise, sex etc. My understanding is if you have a history they can place the stitch much earlier. Good luck.
Eriddiford-306 wrote:
Hi - Not sure how the 'trying is going' as your post was 9 months ago. I had a stitch recently at 23 weeks, no prior history, my obstetrician was amazing and is a very good surgeon. At this late stage I think there are a lot more risks, but not as risky as the other option (not having one). There are risks to any procedure, however I had nil complications but as a precaution - nil lifting, exercise, sex etc. My understanding is if you have a history they can place the stitch much earlier. Good luck.

I hope your stitch holds bub in for a long time! I had significant cervical shortening from 22 weeks and at 24 weeks was offered a stitch but was told it was not the best option as they thought it would be very likely to break my waters or cause an infection in the process. I opted to not get it, instead stayed in hospital 7 weeks and delivered at 30+5. My boy is doing well but I hope you can keep your baby inside a bit longer than I did smile

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Good Luck Eriddiford-306 hope your bubby stays in there safe and sound for as long as possible!

I'm 17 weeks now and so far so good Docs have been monitoring my cervix and no shortening as of yet, so far they don't want to place a stitch while my cervix is still normal, They are hoping that it may not happen again now, i'm relaxing alot more this time around and not being as active to take away any possible stress I really thought they would put the stitch in early as a precaution but as a preventative they recommend having it before about 14 weeks so now I guess it is just a waiting game
Sign in to follow this topic