Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Your Premmie / NICU / SCN Baby
  5. Baby had a Brain Bleed, Anyone else go through this with there little one?

Baby had a Brain Bleed, Anyone else go through this with there little one? Rss

Im a 26 year old first time mother. I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy the normal complaint's that you have when your pregnant. Terrible morning sickness for months and a little bit of high blood pressure towards the end. On my 40 week Dr's appiontment i had a sweep done and by 8.30 that night i was in hospital in labor. My beautiful little girl was born the next morning at 4.47am weighing 3290g.
My experiance during my labor was intence, you dont realise what your body can do. I had a un-assisted labor and when i came to the hospital i had a shot of pethadine at 9.00pm and that was all the pain relief i had.

It was the day after when thing's went to hell. My little girl had a good first day but during her first night she was very unsettled. 10.30 that morning i was having trouble waking her up, and to me looked grey. I got a nurse to check her out and she brought her back looking all pink again and told me that if she gose that colour agin to call them. During this time my mother arrived at the hospital and while having a chat with her it happened again. My mum went out to go get the nurses, and my little girl went blue in my arm's and started to have seizer's. I ran out of my room with her fitting in my arm's.
She had stoped breathing and they just grabed her out of my arms and started to give her air through a mask. They had no idea why she was fitting, she didn't have a fever, but blood work was taken straight away. She was fitting every 10min's and not coping with her breathing. Towards midday it was every 5 min's.
The hospital here was in touch with the Royal Children's in Melbourne asking for the best advise on what to do, and it was decided that my daughter had to come to one of the Melbourne hospital's. NETS flew up to get her, it was the most terifying thing in my life to see my newborn baby with tube's coming out of her because she couldn't breath while having these fit's. They gave her pain relief and put her in one of those crib's and we were on a plane on our way to Monash Hospital.
Once down there it was determined that my little girl had a Intraventricular haemorrhage on the right side, and was continuosly having Seizer's. She was in the NICU ward for 2 week's, ventilated for 6 day's, and remained on a brain's monitor for just under 2 week's. She was then transferred to SCN for another week, were thankfully she hadn't had any more sizer's, and i was able to bring my little girl home finally after nearly 4 weeks.
My daughter was put of Phenobarbitone which she has been on since she was a day old, and now being just over 4 month's old she has nearly been weened off.

Just wondering if there are any other mothers out there who has had a baby that's had a Brain Bleed? Would love to here from you and your story and how you coped with everything? Any lasting problems? How's baby development going?

Thankyou all,
Oh your poor little girl sad I'm happy things are going all right for her now. How is your dd's development going now? How are you coping with it all?
My ds hasn't had a brain bleed but has been having seizures. He's 18 months old now and has been diagnosed with epilepsy. At our paediatrician appointment on Wednesday the paed was asking how ds's development was goingsince his first seizure the day after his first birthday. I let him know everything is going well except he is a bit lacking in his speach development. The paed said because ds's first seizure lasted over 30 minutes ( it was a grand mal seizure) that it was perfectly understandable because during his seizure he would of had restricted blood to the brain. Ds is going to have an EEG soon and will go on epilepsy medication soon too.
I know my ds's story is very different to your little girls but wanted to share my sons story with you.

Mummy of 5 Gorgeous Babes smile
My newest Gorgeous Baby Boy arrived 1st January 2014 smile xxx

I havent' had any problems with my DD, but she would have been born while you were in hospital struggling, and i just want to say I am so so glad for you that all is going well! I hope for you that there are no long-term problems, and that she is being a perfect little one for you now smile

Thank's guy's for replying. "I love my Babes" just been reading your post's how do you cope?. I find it very hard, im constantly studying my girl all the time to see if something' wrong, she's developed the habit of clenching her fist's and bringing her arm's up and shacking them im wondering if this is maybe a form of a siezer? My paed said to look out for lip smacking as well, so now every time sh licks her lip's or suck's im worried that this is something. I find it so hard, and my god knowing i had to start weaning her of the Phenobarbitone was hell, i was so scared she would have another episode.(Hasn't atm thank god)
All the Dr's and Health sister's are very pleased with her progress they dont think there will be any lasting damage, it's really just a waiting game to see how she develope's, but she's meeting all her milestone's for her age so, so far so good.
It's certainly a big deal when she dose something for the first time, she rolled over for the first time last week, hasn't done it since though but she's getting there.
Heading back down to Melbourne to the Neurologist so hopfully all's good.
Moo2Moo I'm glad the doctors and Health sisters are happy with your little one's progress atm. And good on her for rolling for her first time smile I hope her appointment at the Neorologist goes well.
With ds's seizures it was a complete and utter shock his first one as he has always been well and even the day it occured he showed no indication he was unwell. My dh heard me screaming his name when ds started his seizure and said it's like nothing he's ever heard before, he knew something major was wrong. For months after his seizure I was constantly checking his temperature as we had been told not to allow him to get a temperature. I then started to relax and then he had another seizure but thankfully the second only lasted 10 minutes. Before his seizure started he was playing happily and then he started to fall and I helped him lay on his side on the floor where his poor little body jerked. At his second seizure I was much more calmer and had a plan of what we would do. My older 3 dd's all knew the plan as we'd practiced it and were perfect. I know I am prepared for it to happen again though I hope it doesn't happen. But it still scares me as I feel I want to stop it happening to my darling.

I Love My Babes wrote:
Moo2Moo I'm glad the doctors and Health sisters are happy with your little one's progress atm. And good on her for rolling for her first time smile I hope her appointment at the Neorologist goes well.
With ds's seizures it was a complete and utter shock his first one as he has always been well and even the day it occured he showed no indication he was unwell. My dh heard me screaming his name when ds started his seizure and said it's like nothing he's ever heard before, he knew something major was wrong. For months after his seizure I was constantly checking his temperature as we had been told not to allow him to get a temperature. I then started to relax and then he had another seizure but thankfully the second only lasted 10 minutes. Before his seizure started he was playing happily and then he started to fall and I helped him lay on his side on the floor where his poor little body jerked. At his second seizure I was much more calmer and had a plan of what we would do. My older 3 dd's all knew the plan as we'd practiced it and were perfect. I know I am prepared for it to happen again though I hope it doesn't happen. But it still scares me as I feel I want to stop it happening to my darling.

I know it's absolutly terrifying when you see it. Watching my little baby jerk like that at a day old was the scariest thing i've ever seen. She's actually finishing her medicine in the next week or two. After that i'll be watching her even more, because her next paed appointment isn't until september, so finger's crossed that she dosn't have a seizer. Question if she dose, do i try and lay her on her side?
Your son is so brave, poor little guy. Finger's crossed it dosn't happen again.
Moo2Moo Yeah the best thing to do is carefully lie her on her side and make sure theres nothing she can hurt herself on. If it does happen you need to try to stay as calm as you can and talk to her calmly and let her know you are there for her. Call an ambulance and if you are alone definately don't try to drive her to the hospital. Each time my ds had his seizures we drove but thats because we live over 50 km's from the hospital and my dh was driving as he was home at the time. But from now on if he has a seizure we will call an ambulance as the paediatrician has told us what we need to do. If you go on the Epilepsy Australia site they have a checklist of what to do in case of a seizure. It's definately worth printing off a copy and running through it so you are prepared, though I hope you don't experience it again it's better to be prepared. I now always make sure I have a bag packed ready and by the door if it does happen as the first seizure he had I was so worried I even forgot to take his nappy bag to the hospital, but they understood and gave me a nappy when he needed it.
And that would of been so scary for you to see your 1 day old newborn having seizures sad My dh had trouble sleeping for ages after ds's first seizure as he was so worried of it happening again sad
And I'll keep my fingers crossed too that it doesn't happen again for each of our darlings too smile

Thankyou, it's so hard staying calm, she's had to have a lot of blood test's as well and my god that's bl**dy hard watching her cry knowing that it hurts her. I knew to keep thing's away from her so she dosn't hurt herself, but wasn't to sure if i should lay her on her side, thankyou. I'll definately go on that site it will be a great thing to have just so i can prepare for the worst.

****Finger's crossed for our brave Baby's*****
Sign in to follow this topic