Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Your Premmie / NICU / SCN Baby
  5. 37 weeks is this classified as premmie

37 weeks is this classified as premmie Rss

And if anyone's baby came at 37 weeks how small we're they and how did they breastfeeding if breastfed.

http://gustopaleo.com/

DS was born at 37 weeks after doctors holding out for as long as my heart function would allow from 32 weeks. They were more than happy to then perform my csect at 37 weeks as it is considered full term. DS was 3.7kg and 52cm long.
My niece was born at 37wks weighing 5pound12 which I think is around 2.5kg. My sister had no probs bfing but stopped after a month or so as her DD was losing weight. (You'd never know it now lol her 10mo wears the same size nappies as my 2yo!!!)

Hope all is ok Aquabeda and bubs stays put a little longer!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

37 weeks is considered full term and if the baby is born by spontaneous vaginal delivery (i.e not induced) or c/s, the pregnancy has been uneventful and the baby is more than 2.5kg with no other health issues then breastfeeding should be fairly straight forward. Sometimes though these babies that are delivered a few weeks early because of either maternal or fetal issues, or who are a bit small for their age may have a bit more trouble establishing breastfeeding, but that doesn't mean those hurdles can't be overcome. There are so many factors that influence a babies ability to adjust to life outside the womb and to establish feeding - you have to look at the bigger picture, and simply looking at birth weight or age does not necessarily give you a clear idea of how the baby will be. Hope that makes sense - it's been a long day and I'm tired lol

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Thanks all. Well because I have antibodies and am rh negative she is at risk of anemia. So far all tests have been good. But I guess it's safer for her to be out. And so if she has jaundice that it won't be a high risk if she is in longer. Dr has spoken to the peaditrition and his partners and they all agree nx week!

My bub #2 was born at 36 weeks, was slightly jaundice so we had to stay in hospital an extra night and the crib was left by my hospital room window daily. There was no need for that light in the special care nursery. Born an average size despite throughout my pregnancy I was told bub was petite. Bub is still petite (on the 3rd percentile according to the blue book) but developing exceptionally well.

I wouldn't worry about it, if its recommended you deliver at 37 weeks its obvious its the safest procedure for both you and bub.

Good luck.
My bub #2 was also born at 36 weeks, and was big, (6p 12) but couldn't suck and was in special care for 9 days. He fed fine once he got going with it. I've had friends babies born at 36 weeks with no issues, straight into the maternity ward and no feeding issues. Its all so variable.
37 weeks is considered term. The doctor wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't safe.
Thought I'd update. Our daughter was born 37 weeks she weighed 2.846 kilo 50 cms and is breastfeeding. Tho still very sleepy at feeds trying to still master her to have a strong sucking reflex.

Our dd1 was born at 35+6 and weighed 7lb 1/2oz (3190g). She was kept in the nicu for observation for a couple of days but had no complications. She was a lazy sucker always, even on a bottle-don't know if that was related to her prematurity or just her though, she still a slow eater.

Dd2 was born at 38weeks, weighing 3915g.

Ds was born at 36 weeks and weighed 3790g. He didn't feed well due to a minor tongue tie and was jaundiced requiring light treatments.

The midwives told me with each my dates must be wrong, but we were trying each time so we were tracking my dates etc. perhaps I ovulate earlier in my cycle or something?? Am thinking my bubs are just big and done baking though. I was 8lb 9oz and DH was 10lb so we were big too.

Glad your bub is doing well. (anything under 37weeks is considered prem).
my wee bundle was 37 +1 weeks weighing 5lb 13oz she was extremly floopy with low blood sugars.she was sent to scbu were 3 days later she was ammitted to the nicu for closer monitering. we spent a total of three weeks in the nicu before she would start suckling and a further week to establish full breast feeding before we could go home. She still gets very sleepy and needs to be woken a couple times during feeding but were getting there. She was classed as full term but we had just as much of a ride through the nicu as we did with our twins who were 29 weeks.
Aquabeda wrote:
And if anyone's baby came at 37 weeks how small we're they and how did they breastfeeding if breastfed.

My baby girl arrived at 36 weeks and one day.
She weighed 6 pound 1 ounce ( 2.7kg) and was 47 cms long
I breast fed her for approx 8 weeks. But my body was not producing enough for her needs.
She fed well on the breast once she latched properly, she is my first baby and i needed help to get her to latch properly in hospital after she was born.
With the formula she was a much happier baby and shortly after starting formula she started sleep through the night ( 6 hours)
hope this helps you smile
Aquabeda wrote:
Thought I'd update. Our daughter was born 37 weeks she weighed 2.846 kilo 50 cms and is breastfeeding. Tho still very sleepy at feeds trying to still master her to have a strong sucking reflex.

Congratulations!!
Glad she's here safely and all went well. Hope the feeding is going well. It can be hard at first when they don't have a strong suck, but I'm sure she'll get there.
Sign in to follow this topic