Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Your Newborn's Health
  5. Whooping cough vaccine for family/close friends

Whooping cough vaccine for family/close friends Rss

80sBaby wrote:
I didn't ask anyone to get it, but my sister without my involvement or even my knowledge got herself one and spoke to family members to suggest they did lol. She said that she was talking to a pregnant friend about it and that's how it came about and she didn't think I would ask that of people so she did! Some did get the vaccination, some didn't.
80sBaby wrote:
I didn't ask anyone to get it, but my sister without my involvement or even my knowledge got herself one and spoke to family members to suggest they did lol. She said that she was talking to a pregnant friend about it and that's how it came about and she didn't think I would ask that of people so she did! Some did get the vaccination, some didn't.

But regardless, I didn't decide that the vaccinated could come near my baby and the unvaccinated couldn't - I wasn't going to convince myself that anyone vaccinated couldn't possibly pass it on and instead just wouldn't let anyone who was sick (any coughing, sneezing, runny nose) to come near us regardless of vaccination status.

I did expect anyone handling my vulnerable newborn to wash their hands too (not with hand sanitizer, just soap and water) because it's a very simple and painless way to prevent transmitting illnesses. And no I'm not a germophobe and yes I let my babies be exposed to plenty of germs as in dirt and regular germs from the environment (you don't catch whooping cough from dirt and animals but you do from people who pick there nose if they are exposed to it) it was only life threatening diseases I was worried about when they were tiny and unvaccinated. And to a lesser degree even after vaccinations I was still concerned while they were young. Eg it's up to 6 months that whooping cough is more likely to be fatal. Even now with 9,5 and 2 year olds, I prefer to keep them away from sick people if I'm concerned it could be a serious illness. I don't avoid everyone with a sniffle, but if someone has high temps and vomiting etc I don't want my kids near them incase it is something like meningicocal or something that could be the same degree of deadly that whooping cough is to a newborn.

But regardless, I didn't decide that the vaccinated could come near my baby and the unvaccinated couldn't - I wasn't going to convince myself that anyone vaccinated couldn't possibly pass it on and instead just wouldn't let anyone who was sick (any coughing, sneezing, runny nose) to come near us regardless of vaccination status.
80sBaby wrote:

I did expect anyone handling my vulnerable newborn to wash their hands too (not with hand sanitizer, just soap and water) because it's a very simple and painless way to prevent transmitting illnesses. And no I'm not a germophobe and yes I let my babies be exposed to plenty of germs as in dirt and regular germs from the environment (you don't catch whooping cough from dirt and animals but you do from people who pick there nose if they are exposed to it) it was only life threatening diseases I was worried about when they were tiny and unvaccinated. And to a lesser degree even after vaccinations I was still concerned while they were young. Eg it's up to 6 months that whooping cough is more likely to be fatal. Even now with 9,5 and 2 year olds, I prefer to keep them away from sick people if I'm concerned it could be a serious illness. I don't avoid everyone with a sniffle, but if someone has high temps and vomiting etc I don't want my kids near them incase it is something like meningicocal or something that could be the same degree of deadly that whooping cough is to a newborn.

Really hard to pull out bits to quote on my phone! So sorry I just have to quote the whole thing!

I just wanted to point out that you wrote you wouldn't avoid everyone with a sniffle, yet that is exactly how whooping cough starts and it's when people are very contagious. These are exactly the people you should be avoiding to avoid whooping cough! There are many other diseases that start with a sniffle too and often it's when people are at their most contagious. They can spread it, but they may not necessarily develop anymore symptoms. People assume all sniffles are harmless colds when they actually have no idea what it is.

I just ask anyone with any type of cold symptoms even if they just feel like they are getting a cold - steer clear!

Apologies for quoting a billion times.... My phone is so slow, I thought I deleted them...
lol it went slightly crazy, I had no idea it quoted so many times! hahahaha

thats cool. I wasn't sure. Totally up to you anyway. I guess there will be people reading that don't know it though, so its worth a mention! xxx
For everyone who was saying stop being a germaphobe, the person asking is specifically talking about Whooping Cough... the outcomes of which are known to be adverse if a baby is exposed to it.

Kids and babies are obviously more vulnerable to all infectious disease and aren't fully vaccinated against whopping cough until after 4 years and newborns (up to 1 year actually) are particularly vulnerable where nearly all of them will contract it if in contact with a carrier and there is a high chance of death/brain damage if they do get it. One of the reasons why it is so dangerous is you can be asymptomatic carrier for a few weeks before you get symptoms and then in adults it can just appear to be a mild cold anyway. All the advice of letting them play in dirt is a very different situation to not exposing them to a deadly infection. It is highly virulent and 80-90% of adults who are exposed with contract it. It is spread through droplets (the air, from your mouth, coughs, sneezes, mucous etc) and so if someone is holding your baby close to their mouth then your baby is at risk, regardless of if they used hand sanitiser or not. Hand sanitiser is good for some things like fecal-oral transmission (gastro) but will not protect against respiratory transmission. Also, if you want to use the playing in dirt argument, babies won't be exposed to the ground per say until they can crawl and walk, so a new born would never be exposed to these bugs so early (evolutionary?). And dirt is a lot cleaner than peoples hands and mouths as well!

One last thing about Whooping Cough (Pertussis)... it is an Australian Notifiable condition. You don't see general coughs and colds on this list. There is a reason why and it is a positive thing if mothers want to protect their babies from exposure to it. If anti-vaxers don't want to vaccinate (a community responsibility, not always a personal one) then they should also understand they may not be able to participate in all community activities (such as holding new borns) as new born babies don't get a choice about what they are exposed to. Please read up about vaccine diseases as they are very different to every coughs and colds... the problem is... for ones like whooping cough, you can't tell who is a carrier and that your baby has been exposed until your baby is already sick and in ICU.
Sign in to follow this topic