Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Tongue Tie Rss

Has anyone had a baby with tongue tie? If so what did you do? Did you find it hard to breastfeed?

I have been told my lil girl has tongue tie and was just looking for anyone who has gone through it, and whether they left it or had it cut.
DD is tongue tied, and I successfully breastfed her until she was about 14wks. I weaned her onto formula then as it had become a fight to feed her, not that she couldn't do it, she just didn't want to. She was a plump bub so she was gaining weight well.

She still has her tongue tie, but it doesn't hinder her in anyway. She just can't poke her tongue out too far. DP also has a tongue tie and has never had any issues with it. They both just look a little funny when eating an ice-cream tongue

DP never had any speech issues, and so far at 2yrs 3mths, DD is talking really well and has even mastered a couple of sounds DS who is 4 hasn't quite got yet.

See what your Dr says, our Dr said DD's wasnt too bad, so we would leave it and see how it went and we had no issues, but if she had have had problems feeding etc, then he would have snipped it.

Come to think of it, I had a friend in school who was badly tongue tied, and apart from her being a little self concious of it, it caused her no problems.

Ben 25/10/06 + Erin 10/9/08

hi my DS had tongue tie when he was born. the peadiatric doc suggested it was best to get it cut coz he couldn't breast feed properly with it and so they did it while i was still in hospital with him i think he was maybe 3 or 4 days old. it was so quick he didnt even cry or anything. I'm glad i got it done then and didn't wait to see what he would be like when he was older, i think it would be more traumatic for him now.

My DS1 had Tongue tie but he wasn't snipped for 7 months because he gained weight so well early on and unfortunately the surgeon didn't feel that I was in that much pain because I refused to stop breastfeeding. From 3-5 months he only gained 20 grams and even then it was a battle to have it snipped because it was coming into the Christmas period and the surgeries at our hospitals close down for non emergency cases. I suffered cracked and bleeding nipples for the whole 7 months and had my first pain free breastfeed in recovery after the op. I wish I had pushed to have it done a lot sooner, not only for my sake but also DS who was born in the 97th percentile and has been stuck in the 25th since he was 5 months, now nearly 2 and a half!!!
my youngest was born with a tongue tie the dr said they would only cut it if she couldn't poke her tongue out past her teeth, breastfeeding can help some babies to stretch their tongue if it isn't a severe tongue tie, hers did stretch and now she appears to have no issues with it. Although i must add her tongue could just get past her teeth almost to her lips.
I havent had too much trouble breast feeding, the first few days I had cracked and really really sore nipples but my midwife showed me some other ways to feed (football hold) and I found that was a lot better not so sore now. Im just thinking more long term, they say it can hinder speech so I'm thinking it may be best just to cut it now while she is still little?
DS was born with a mild tongue tie and is 18 months. We didnt have it cut when he was little even though growth & feeding were slow. we werent given the option because he could put his tongue to his lips. That was far enough to say just try to stretch it with lots of games of poking out tongue. i used the word "Blah" when changing nappy as baby looks at you & copies and blah uses your tongue out pretty far & sounds funny too.

We are now see paed just before christmas to check tongue tie again as he is not speaking as many words as he should be . only says da da. 18 months should say 6 - 20 words apparently.

See what you feel & how little one feeds. i also used football hold which helped me heaps... best wishes

HappyAli

I havent had too much trouble breast feeding, the first few days I had cracked and really really sore nipples but my midwife showed me some other ways to feed (football hold) and I found that was a lot better not so sore now. Im just thinking more long term, they say it can hinder speech so I'm thinking it may be best just to cut it now while she is still little?

My mum breastfed my brother for 18 months and he was tongue tied. He did need it cut around 4 i think as he couldn't get the s sound otherwise normal. He was like DD a late talker.
DS had a very minor tongue tie, 1mm off. We got it snipped when he was 1 day old, was very fast and cried for a few seconds. I did find that he latched on alot better.

I would insist that it gets cut asap. to stop future problems with speech and self confidence. for such a small little thing can make a problem when they are older

Has anyone had a baby with tongue tie? If so what did you do? Did you find it hard to breastfeed?

I have been told my lil girl has tongue tie and was just looking for anyone who has gone through it, and whether they left it or had it cut.

my little boy had it quite bad they said, I didnt have any probs b feeding him. they suggested he have it cut when he bit older so at 1yr he had it cut and thats when he wouldnt bfeed anylonger. drs said he definately would have had speech probs.
Sign in to follow this topic