Huggies Forum

Speech Therapy Rss

Hi I'm after some info from people who have had their children in speech therapy....

My DS1 is 5yrs old, he had his first day of school on Monday, where I was told he is difficult to understand(I knew this) and he will be referred to a speech therapist. Now I have had concerns over his speech in the past and he went for an assessment in February(after being on the waiting list for 6mnths) where i was told he doesn't meet the criteria to get speech therapy but the speech therapist would make us a home program anyway(she was really lovely and could see i was concerned about people not being able to understand DS1) anyway then the Chch earthquake hit and we moved to nelson so we never got the home program...got referred again up here and had another assessment a couple of months ago where the speech therapist said she had no concerns, also his kindy teachers have always said they have no concerns over his speech, but now he's hit 5 it's like it's a big problem.

Sounds he has problems with are "th", when he says a sentence, "those" becomes "ose", "that" becomes "dat", "them" is "em" and so on...

Alot of it is him being lazy and out of habit...he says "we" as "e" like "e did dis" and "just" he will will become "dus" and "what" he says "dat" like instead of saying "what about" he'll say "dat about?" but when asked to say the words by themselves he doesn't have a problem sounding them out its just when he's speaking sentences, which is maybe why he was over looked at his speech assessments. Also "S" is still a problem for him, especially the combined sounds like "st" eg "stick" becomes "tick" etc etc. you get the picture...

I try to correct him and get him to sound out the words, but he gets frustrated and annoyed with me doing it all the time...

Has anyone had an experience similar and was the speech therapy of great help? How long before your child was speaking clearer?

I just want his peers and teachers to be able to understand him sad
Has he had his hearing checked? Some of what you say that he says is consistent with hearing loss, especially the trouble with "s" sounds, but then other parts of what you say is not consistent with it - for example, it is more likely that he would be dropping the end of the word rather than the beginning of the word.

I only ask because I have a partial hearing loss which I was born with but which wasn't picked up until I was about 16. At 8, my class teacher thought I had a speech impediment and I was referred for speech therapy. I don't remember how long I went for but it wasn't long and it certainly had no effect, being that the speech impediment was obviously caused by deafness. You would think that a hearing test would be given as standard before speech therapy commences, but it isn't in NZ. Anyway, I finally got a hearing test when I was about 16 and the loss discovered, but of course it is hugely detrimental to a child's education if something like this isn't picked up. It would be like being short-sighted but never being given glasses.

In many ways it's easier if it is a hearing loss ... you know what you're dealing with, and it's easily corrected.
DD is 3 and we have been seeing a speech therapist. Im only attending sessions next term as we also need to do occupational therapy plus they are willing to do it fortnightly. I found the advice they give you which you use at home is the reason why DD's speech has improved. She would shut down during the sessions because she didn't like the OT so luckily we have another one. Just keep correcting him for now. The speech therapist will give you some stuff to do at home.
With my daughter instead of obviously correcting her I would repeat back to her correctly and with emphasis on what she said incorrect.

She is almost 10 so now if she doent finish words I look at her and say is that really the way to say it??? And she smiles and self-corrects.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Thanks for the replies. He had a hearing and vision test a couple of months ago as part of his before school check. And I regularly get his ears checked because he had grommets put in when he was 2 1/2, last time they got checked was 2wks ago and they are fine...
My DS2 also got picked up in kindy as being a little hard to understand and they recommended we get a speech and language assessment done.

We went through the speech therapist who was based at the school to fast track him as I have heard of the waiting lists if you attempt to go public. His speech assessment cost us about $240 to get done and we got about $150 back through PHC from memory. It showed he had minor delays in some of his speech sounds (particularly the 'l' sound so play he would pronounce as 'pway' etc), however the majority of his delays were/are with auditory processing, following and remembering instructions and expressive language.

His speechy said the 'sound issues' are the easy ones to rectify quickly from a 'speech therapists' point of view is the good news for you. He has been seeing a speech therapist once a fortnight for almost 12mths now and his 'sounds' have been rectified. His articulation of sounds is quite good now and people have commented how easy he is to understand now compared to before.

It's not cheap though is the unfortunate part sad $65 for a 30minute session adds up (we get $40 back from PHC), but if you can afford it I highly recommend it as the sooner you can sort kids speech out the easier school is for them and you could be waiting a long time in the public system.
Two of my boys have had ST and benefited. DS1 started when he was around 2 and had several blocks of sessions over about 3years. His problem was quiet severe at the start due to having a tongue tie. DS2 was much less obvious and only had several blocks over about 18mths. They are both great speakers now smile We used to get lots of ideas for home exercises. One important thing you can do at home is reading and going through picture books together - choose things that interest him. After the story ask him questions and get him to interact as much as possible (Show me the....X Or how many X in this picture?) When he answers get him to answer in full. Like - Here is the X or I can see 5 X in this picture) Also make up games or play board games with him that require or you can get him speaking for. (counting the spaces he has to move forward or everytime he moves he says something like I am moving the red counter 3 spaces..) It's making the exercise of speech more fun for him but also making him more aware of it too. Also as dansally mention getting them to pick themselves up in normal conversation is good too. We were told to pick up the mistake and repeat in back the same way it was said by them as well as the correct way - Oh, you said dat! Is it dat or that? You're right about the speech sessions being easy to sustain correct speech for a 30min block, it's transferring it to the everyday that's harder.
Thankyou for the replies, i really appreciate your personal experiences and info/advice and will be taking it all on board smile If anyone else would like to add to this topic who has experience with this subject that would be great
Our daughter (2.5yrs) has been receiving speech therapy for the last year, although only monthly sessions. Have not seen any huge benefits yet, as like someone else mentioned, she tends to 'clam-up' during the sessions and kind of ignore the therapist!! We have just been referred to the ministry of education speech therapist, who will come visit at home - so am hoping that will help. We have found the home programs most helpful. Hope you get in with a therapist who is helpful soon!
http://newsalert24.com/
I know this is an old post, but it came up in my searches for speech therapy topics. We can definitely speak first hand to the benefits of a speech pathologist. There are some great resources online that I have found. Most businesses seem to publish blog articles on the topic to help parents like us.
Sign in to follow this topic