Huggies Forum

Toddler with GDD possiblly CP Rss

DD is 17months next week and still can not stand unassisted or walk. She crab crawls to wherever she wants to get to. I also suspect that she is delayed with speech and cognitive skills. I am worried that my DD could have cerebal palsy, I am sure she has GDD. I have asked paed and he has said she will reach her milestones in her own time and that she is just slow. My gut tells me there is more to her delays than just being lazy.

I would love to hear from parents that have kids with GDD or CP. I cant really talk to people that I do know as they all just think she is lazy.
Hi
I am the mother to Quinten who at the age of almost three has GDD, my advice is to go with your gut, if you think there are problems find someone who will listen as the earlier you can help the better it will be for your DD.

Hi
I am the mother to Quinten who at the age of almost three has GDD, my advice is to go with your gut, if you think there are problems find someone who will listen as the earlier you can help the better it will be for your DD.

Thanks for replying Quinsmummy

We are now on the wait list to have DD assessed.
Hi Liannal
I am mum to 2 year old Ruby, who our paedatrician diagnosed with GDD when she was only 4 months old! Can't beleive people are telling you she is just slow or being lazy! Ruby is our third baby and we knew from early on something wasn't right. She has had every blood test and scan under the sun and DRs can't diagnose anything, or give a reason for her delay. Been told most probably a genetic thing, but she is on the mild side. She does everything eventually, just a few months behind where 'text-book' babies do! Didn't walk until just before turning two. She still has to crawl or knee walk over to something to pull herself up if she falls, as not strong enough to stand straight from floor. Only has a few words, and only one or two that are used with meaning ... like Ta if she wants something, Hot if she sees my cup of tea! But anyway, we have had monthly visits from Child Development services since Ruby was 4 months, and we have just had her put on the waiting list with Special Education as apparently they will come to you at home and help work on stuff. Ruby also just had Grommets in both ears, which we are hoping will help with hearing/speech.
I really want to do what we can now, as I've read early intervention can be really effective...I'd love it if by the time she starts school people couldn't really tell she is delayed. Although last week the paedrition burst my bubble telling me that he thinks she'll be a kid that will always need that extra bit of help with school work.
Anyway, would love to chat more if you want. I have been looking for someone in a similar situation and has been hard to find!
Good luck and take care, Mel.
I just thought I would give an update as to dd progress for future readers who may have a child going through something similar.

Dd started standing unassisted at 19months and started walking at 20 months. It is such a big relief to see her walking around like other kids. Kids really do reach their milestones when they are ready smile

I just thought I would give an update as to dd progress for future readers who may have a child going through something similar.

Dd started standing unassisted at 19months and started walking at 20 months. It is such a big relief to see her walking around like other kids. Kids really do reach their milestones when they are ready smile

Hi there - I am not sure if you remember but I corresponded with you sometime last year and explained my DD was going through the same thing (except she was a bit older). Anyway that's awesome news that your daughter is now walking, for any other person its a normal progression but to us its like they've won a gold medal. My daughter is walking now too and it sure makes a difference to what we do in our everyday lives. I absolutely love taking her to playgrounds now, before it was a waste of time. We still have no formal diagnoses as to why she never walked (until she was 3 years old!) but the main thing now is that she is getting around fine. I wish you all the best smile
Hi there,

I too have a lil gal who have GDD, ppl aroud either said she is lazy or treated her like an alien, she just can;t talk thats all and ppl thought GDD is like autism or something.

Try to put her in child care being rejected... gosh....-sigh-

Hi there,

I too have a lil gal who have GDD, ppl aroud either said she is lazy or treated her like an alien, she just can;t talk thats all and ppl thought GDD is like autism or something.

Try to put her in child care being rejected... gosh....-sigh-

How old is your dd?

Did the other kids not play with her? Maybe try a different childcare

Good luck
I too thought I would update on our daughter Ruby (as per post above). A few months ago we got a diagnoses of Williams Syndrome. A rare genetic condition that occurs out of the blue, causing general developmentmental delays and varying degrees of intellectual disability (amoung a raft of other things). Quite a shock, but all the same good to have an actual diagnoses. Our biggest problem at the moment is the communication... still not talking!
Sign in to follow this topic