Huggies Forum

Calling for all mums who have autism children Rss

Hey hun,

Thanks for your reply, iam just looking for another mummy going through the same things as us and someone to talk to about it.

Our son doesnt talk at all he just yells and he is always banging his head on the tiles, walls, tv cabinet, his cot, the back of our legs etc when he gets into trouble or fraustrated, angry, sad etc he cant communicate with us and he is constantly scratching us and any objects around him and biting throwing things and his toys he also doesnt like playing with other kids/babies and is always blocking us out when he is doing something when we call his name or try and talk to him. He is also very fussy on his foods and only likes certain foods.

We know he has it just waiting for the right age to go and get him tested for it.

I know other mums say "you'll be right he doesnt have Autism" but we have researched about it on the net and he has basicually every sign for Autism.

He was also born with Clubfoot very bad case and Autism is also common in Clubfoot kids/babies.

Thanks for your comment much appreciated and thanks again for your help

Much luv xx

Hi

My son is 3yrs today and he was born with severe clubfoot as well, he is going for appointment with pead on monday to see whether he is autistic. Our GP has told us he has autism spectrum disorder.
This is all new for us, i have been researching the net and came across your post. I have never heard the link between Clubfoot & Autism please send me any info re this link.

Thanks and hope you are having a good day <span class="emoticon grin">grin</span>
Our 3yr9mth old boy was diagnosed PDD, then ASD-mid/mild at age 2 1/2. We are lucky to have been able to access Early Intervention through Special Education (NZ). He loves being at Day Care and was joined by his younger brother this year (now 19mth). We have taken the Early Bird course which helped us understand his austism and gave us the tools to stop and think about what was happening and why (ice berg analysis). We have started using PECS with him as he is mostly non-verbal, although he does have some songs! PECS has relaxed him, he now has the means to ask us for things. So far he asks for food items, songs, and activities using his PECS cards. His younger brother uses them, but he can use words too.
He continues to be a very fussy eater and we worry about his nutritional needs, but at least he eats some things. He also eats garden materials which is a worry, but it seems to go straight through him! He remains in nappies, hopefully he will learn about this as his brother moves into that stage.
We love our son dearly, but his autism can be frustrating and limiting for us as a family. We have Govt funded respite care available to us, but we do not have anyone that we trust yet to actually look after him overnight. So, we have used it so far for day baby sitting.
We try not to think too far ahead for this son. We have no real idea what his future holds, but he have hope for him; and his brother is neurotypical (normal) who he have to help grow and learn.
Enjoy your child, they are a gift, apparently, and we are the lucky parents to have been chosen by them!
Hi

My son is 2 months and 2 years I have he has always been a little slower in doing his milestones and his speech is there but is slow and he tends to say words and then u wont hear him say them again or not for a long time

I went to our local community health centre to see a physio as he always curled his toes up really tightly she said he was tight in the hips then she put me onto a OT that was there and since then have done a hearing test there, seen a speech thearpist and have to do some follow ups

I noticed a few things earlier on but wasnt sure He was slower with milestones, he is a little clumsy always falling over but sometimes he does trip over things on the floor He does have quite good eye contact and u can ask him questions and he will nod but then there are other things like he doesn't like being held wont sit on your knee he struggles and gets upset his speech is much slower He doesn't really interact with kids though I always thought 2 yr olds would play side by side but not actual together and sometimes he hits his head with his open palm and has his thumb in his mouth I say don't hit your head he thinks it is funny so could be doing this cos of the reaction too a bit

I went to my local GP be over 6 mnths ago and he was relucant to give me a referral to the Pedatrician and we went again last weeks and same thing said in 6 mnths and u can't diagonse at 2 yrs but noticed in some other posts 2 yr olds have been Am seriously thinking about going to another GP to get the referral as a Pedatricain are trained in all aspects of child developement and that is what I want to talk to them about

On the up side I am already doing some early intervention playgroups, and have somebody who did a assesment on him (she is from ASPECT) and cos he hs some things leading to Austism she is able to come to my home and work with him for 15 sessions one thing she has done is to take some photos of things that motivate him and laminated them so I can use them as a communication device so he can point or if he makes a gesture with his eyes etc I can know what he wants
Though Friday was great he picked he wanted a orange and poppy seed muffin rather than a banana by pointing

Today we just went to a early intervention playgroup geared for kids with Austisim though it doesn't matter if they havent got it It is free and at a local neighbourhood centre It is called PLAYGROUPS FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS TOLL FREE 1800 171 882 OR www.playgroupaustralia.com.au or info@playgroupaustralia.com.au and www,palyconnect.com.au it is from 0-6yrs and the child does not have to need an ASD diagnosis to join
Look foward to hearing from other mums hope that info helps too Regards Cat

[img]http://bd.lilypie.com/lGzbp11/.png[/img

Hi

My son is 2 months and 2 years I have he has always been a little slower in doing his milestones and his speech is there but is slow and he tends to say words and then u wont hear him say them again or not for a long time

I went to our local community health centre to see a physio as he always curled his toes up really tightly she said he was tight in the hips then she put me onto a OT that was there and since then have done a hearing test there, seen a speech thearpist and have to do some follow ups

I noticed a few things earlier on but wasnt sure He was slower with milestones, he is a little clumsy always falling over but sometimes he does trip over things on the floor He does have quite good eye contact and u can ask him questions and he will nod but then there are other things like he doesn't like being held wont sit on your knee he struggles and gets upset his speech is much slower He doesn't really interact with kids though I always thought 2 yr olds would play side by side but not actual together and sometimes he hits his head with his open palm and has his thumb in his mouth I say don't hit your head he thinks it is funny so could be doing this cos of the reaction too a bit

I went to my local GP be over 6 mnths ago and he was relucant to give me a referral to the Pedatrician and we went again last weeks and same thing said in 6 mnths and u can't diagonse at 2 yrs but noticed in some other posts 2 yr olds have been Am seriously thinking about going to another GP to get the referral as a Pedatricain are trained in all aspects of child developement and that is what I want to talk to them about

On the up side I am already doing some early intervention playgroups, and have somebody who did a assesment on him (she is from ASPECT) and cos he hs some things leading to Austism she is able to come to my home and work with him for 15 sessions one thing she has done is to take some photos of things that motivate him and laminated them so I can use them as a communication device so he can point or if he makes a gesture with his eyes etc I can know what he wants
Though Friday was great he picked he wanted a orange and poppy seed muffin rather than a banana by pointing

Today we just went to a early intervention playgroup geared for kids with Austisim though it doesn't matter if they havent got it It is free and at a local neighbourhood centre It is called PLAYGROUPS FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS TOLL FREE 1800 171 882 OR www.playgroupaustralia.com.au or info@playgroupaustralia.com.au and www,palyconnect.com.au it is from 0-6yrs and the child does not have to need an ASD diagnosis to join
Look foward to hearing from other mums hope that info helps too Regards Cat

Hi My beautiful boy and and ASD diagnosis and I have pushed so hard to get him some help and you should by all means go to another GP because if you don't it maybe years before you get any where. I have known for a number of year that my son needed extra help he had words when he was 1yr and he had lost them all by 18months. The Australian Autism Handbook is worth it's weight in gold, It is the best book I have found in my 3 years of research.
We have had our son down in Melbourne for the past 2 week having listening treatment and after 3 long year we now have words. He is also much easier to get along with as he can know tell us what he would like instead of throwing himself on the floor and crying.

All I can say to you is follow your heart and if you believe you need a referral then thats what you should get. I wish you all the very best.
Hi,
Our son was recently diagnosed at 3.5 yrs as having Aspergers. I am a stay at home mother and I had feelings something wasn't quite right with our son - however I couldnt convience family or friends otherwise.

So I took him for his 3 yr check up and mentioned my concerns and it was then followed up by a phone call by the clinc nurse who suspected Autism.

OUr son didn't crawl till 13 months, didn't roll till 12 months didn't walk till 19 months - everyone kept saying it was normal. then he started repeating words back to himself under his breathe over and over, asking the same questions over and over and a whole range of other things.

He now attends early intevention and some day are so hard to manage him.

If you need any further support - please feel free to let me know.

Best of luck - RCWO
I just found this thread and would love to join in. My son who is 4 in dec has aspergers, diagnosed in april this yr. He reached all the milestones at the correct time, walked at 10 months, is almost toilet trained, night nappies and poos smile thats another story. He is a very fussy eater but does everything else a normal 3 and a alf yr old does. He lacks a little in the social department and can have major melt downs with certain things.
Have been told he could be gifted, as he can count to 50, knows all his shapes, colours, letters etc which is good to know that things there are ok and has very good verbal skills for a kid with aspergers.
Is there anyone out there with a child similar to mine?
Hello,
My 4y.o son has recently been diagnosed with autism after nearly 2 years on the waiting list to get assessed. He is only mild in comparison to some. The day care he went to at the time were the ones that brought it to my attention. I was devastated. Being my first, I was very protective of him and thought he was perfect. Whilst waiting and waiting to officially get him diagnosed, I was still in denial about it. Although I had to admit I could see some traits that they were talking about. Eg. speech, eye contact, social skills etc.
However I read into it and there were alot of traits he didn't have like seoerate colours, textures etc.
Luckily for me he has been able to go to an early intervention school, whilst waiting for that assesment, twice a week for a few hours who have OT/Speechies etc there to help.
Since going there he has come up in leaps and bounds. Especially his speech. I can't reccommend Early Intervention enough.
I hate having to explain to others all the time that he has autism. As I can see the way they look at him. Some people especially adults are extremely rude and should be better role models to their kids and others. It's not their fault or yours, why they have what they have. I can be pretty bad like a lion protecting her cub when it comes to that.
Anyways, I wish you all the best on your journey.
Erin
Sign in to follow this topic