Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Being a Mum
  5. Working mums are healthier than stay at home mums....

Working mums are healthier than stay at home mums.... Rss

So last night on TV I saw a report that they were claiming that working mums were healthier and had lower mental health problems than stay at home mums. I'm curious of what you all think?

I can only speak from the stay at home mum side and I can sort of see where they are coming from. I know especially in the early days of having a bub that it's easy to get in a place where your not getting out much, it's too hard to exercise and sometimes eating properly seems like hard work.
I can believe that too -- much harder to organise yourself when you are with kids all day!
Yep I went Back to work for my mental health, and it was the best thing I could have done for myself.

I'm getting all the exercise I need too so no chance of getting unfit!

I have to agree in my own personal experience this is the case. I lost all the babyweight (20kg) breastfeeding within 6mths. But gained it back over the next year & half being at home and having too much access to the fridge! Also not having anywhere to go meant I cared less about my appearance and so forth. Went back to PT work when DS was 2 and it improved my self esteem, I also joined curves and got alot healthier.

I have been pretty bad with exercise and healthy eating during this pregnancy though so hope to go back to curves even before I start working again. But I believe I put it down to having a good balance of home/work, essentially I am still a SAHM most of the time as I only work evenings. A high stress job may be a different story for some women's health.

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

I can see why they would be in a lot of cases. Not necessarily going back to work, but women do need something to stimulate their own being. Whether it be a hobby or time to do what they need to or working from home. I am a sahm and will be homeschooling. For me I am establishing our property to make an income so I will work from home.

I think in terms of being healthier, I see how it may be the case just going by how often I graze when at home!
I think for some mothers that might be the case. I have done both and I can say that working was a lot harder than staying at home. I hated working when DS1 was a baby...all I wanted to do was be at home with him because I felt I was missing out so much by working. When DS2 was born, I again didn't want to go back to work, and fortunately our circumstances changed and they allowed me to be able to resign from my job and stay at home. It was made all the easier by my employers being absolute muppets and refusing to be even remotely flexible in my return to work. <span class="emoticon laugh">laugh</span>

Staying at home has it challenges and its frustrations, but so does combining working with parenting. Another study says that women's happiness at work has a lot to do with whether she wanted to be working or not; let's face it, you'd be happier working if it was what you wanted to be doing than if it was what you didn't want to be doing.

This article has a bit more viewpoints than what the press release said.

I just read the report very interesting. Thanks for the link C_hippie_kiwi.
For myself I know how much more I eat because I'm at home. I home educate my kids so I do work as a scence(sp) but I know if I had a regular job I would be a lot more stricter with my routines etc.
I love being a stay at home mum it's all I've ever wanted to do but I can understand for mothers who love their career if they do stay at home they would miss the interaction with others and also the stimulation of their job.
I think it's great that women who want to go back to work have access to great childcare.
OC1246 I totally agree with you that women need something other than the housework and being a mum to keep them enjoying their life.

So last night on TV I saw a report that they were claiming that working mums were healthier and had lower mental health problems than stay at home mums. I'm curious of what you all think?

I can only speak from the stay at home mum side and I can sort of see where they are coming from. I know especially in the early days of having a bub that it's easy to get in a place where your not getting out much, it's too hard to exercise and sometimes eating properly seems like hard work.
Yes it is tiring looking after everyone else in the family and the first of Baby's years is hard work indeed. I try and get out, exercise and eat well. But I can't be managing it that well as no matter how good I am, I am still wearing 7kgs more than I was pre-pregnancy! too hard basket now, I have to let it go with the dust that is in the corners of my hall way. I look and thing I will vacuum that next chance I get but it never seems to be more appealing than the 10mins I would spend doing something relaxing sans baby (like a email to a friend without my hair being pulled at)...

There is a good article in the Guardian if you google it on working vs staying at home mums. She describes the internal nagging when she gets home and the baby smells of the nanny's perfume not hers! Instinctive scenting is very primal isn't it?!
Another friend described PND as loss of 'yourself'. hmmm good we have the internet and if us Mums don't leave the house at least we get a conversation with an adult (not a grumpy one who needs food when he walks in the door) in a day.
my mission for the new year is to get back to work...
i have been at home for 23mths now & i am soooo over it. i am bored out of my brains, so yes it will be good for my mental health to get back to work. i am looking forward to have some social interaction with adults & some "me time", even though it wont really be "me time", but i'm sure you all understand. i look forward to having some extra cash to buy myself some things for a change too!!!
i will also benefit on the physical side of things too, as i will be far more active, restricted to when i can eat & will have to think more about what i am eating as i will have to plan my lunches instead of just looking for something simple that i can munch on when the time is right...
i am only planning on working two days a week, so i am hoping this doesn't upset the family too much... fingers crossed i suppose. if it doesn't work out, then i can always quit & be a full time stay at home mum again!!!
Im looking to return to work when DD2 (due in a month or 2) is around 6 months old. as i have been a stay at home mum for 3 (YES 3) years....it has been a joy but i miss adults and doing things in an adult fashion...meaning on time and without having to be begged,bribed or forced...

all kids need time at home with A parent but in the end they need to go out ad be socialized too so after some time its good for everyone to have a bit of both
From my experiences it is really hard for SAHM's to find a balance between being a mum and housewife and being themselves.... and it is very hard to acheive when our babies are young.

For me the best thing that I could have done was join Playcentre 9 years ago. Playcentre is only found in NZ and is a parent based co-operative where mothers come together and educate their toddlers. It is government funded so we have the same guidelines as a kindy and a daycare etc.

I have worked over the years as well part-time but having Playcentre in my life I am able to have a sense of pride and worth. At the moment I dont work but I dont see myself as staying at home either.... 3 days a week we leave home at 8am and get back home at 12.30, I then spend 2 hrs chilling and doing housework until school pick up - which I walk to. Then I have two days to do jobs and blitz the house.

My life is very full and I love being able to be a part of my childs education and of course I have many lovely friends from Playcentre that I catch up with when I go there.

I am looking forward to a career, but I see being a SAHM a career also. I recommend Playcentre to any mum- in NZ of course- and urge other mums to find a hobby or interest that you can incorporate into every day life. I have found that as long as you alow for your child and give them good quality playtimes you can almost take them anywhere... I took my son to zumba with me for a while and he just hung out and ate food or slept.

But after that big long story it is hard to find balance and it is hard to find the confidence to make the first step with balancing when you are at home with a baby/toddler 24/7

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Sign in to follow this topic