Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Your Relationships
  5. Arrrg families - who would want one? (not really just a vent)

Arrrg families - who would want one? (not really just a vent) Rss

Where to start? well I guess I should preface this by saying I rarely have large celebrations for anything, if fact we eloped for our wedding. This is not however because I don't love a party (or being centre of attention for a while hehe), it is because of my family, if you were to ask them each would say they are not the problem and get along however in reality my parents are divorced and if one feels like the other is getting more attention, or if it doesn't suit them they have a problem with "something", throw into this the large personalities of my 8 step siblings and my extended family and partners (my farther is one of 13 just to give an indication of size) and you have a recipe for chaos.

In short it is not worth it.

Anyway, I am 24 weeks pregnant and a lovely friend offered to throw my baby shower and I said yes, I was taken aback by her generosity, no one has done something like that for me before.

I decided early on I would have my farther's family to another picnic to celebrate as I thought this would avoid some of the problems my friend may encounter while trying to organise the event.

Then it started, I mentioned to MIL that my friend was throwing the shower and she was put out staright away - apparently she thought either herself or SIL would throw it, the same as my SIL's, I apologised but stayed firm and did not change my mind - my friend offered first. Anyway, skip forward and we are in the process of planning and I mentioned that MIL had wanted to host the event, so my friend suggested they work together. I thought this was perfect so DH called his mother and asked if she would like the idea, she jumped at it.

Anyway, yesterday MIL calls by to say "oops I may have put you in it, I saw your mother and mentioned that I was hosting the baby shower and she seemed to think she was and was upset- you must have told her that."

Now I was confused, never had I mentioned that to my mother, so I called her this morning exprecting an ear full and she tells me "Oh I said that because MIL was so upset you forced her to have the baby shower, she said you called and demanded she host it. I don't want to host it."
Now I am even more confused and then my mother finished the phone call with "Oh well I don't care anyway, it's not like you are including me, you do what you want."

AAARRRGGGG - I don't even want the shower now, I'm not even sure how to NOT upset people, do they want to host it or not, I just feel so sorry for my friend who has no idea what she signed herself up for and if I cancel all together it will just upset everyone.

Not sure what I am asking here but if you read all the way through thank you and I'm so sorry it's so long - I just have no idea what to do, bah humbug.

I have no idea what to think

Good Lord! What a mess! You poor thing that is very confusing, its like you cant win. You should just tell your friend to go ahead and organise the shower and have no family just your friends. That will shut them all up and at least then you'll be able to enjoy your baby shower without all the politics!
misskel79 wrote:
Good Lord! What a mess! You poor thing that is very confusing, its like you cant win. You should just tell your friend to go ahead and organise the shower and have no family just your friends. That will shut them all up and at least then you'll be able to enjoy your baby shower without all the politics!

I'd agree too! If family is too complicated just go with friends and those that you really want to invite!
Thank you ladies - I don't want to think what would be said if I told them that hahahah - both keel over with shock probably.

But it is nice to know that I'm not crazy in thinking this is all a little juvenile and unfair.

Ahhh families, can't live with em'............ nope just can't live with em' hahaha

Sign in to follow this topic