Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. From a catnapping baby to a great daytime sleeper!

From a catnapping baby to a great daytime sleeper! Rss

Hi everyone, for awhile now my 6 month old has been catnapping during the day and sleeping beautifully during the night. This was driving me nuts to the point that I would stay home somedays because she was so grizzly and I was so tired. I was trying everything to resettle her and nothing and I mean nothing was working so I would eventually give up. She was not happy and either was I. So I read and read and read and read and came acorss the reasons why babies catnap

1) they are hungry

2) they have wind

3) cold or too hot

4) being put down for a sleep too early

Number 4 really got me as I was one to put her down after 1.5 hours as she was showing tired signs. This concernd me as it is reccommended that 6 month old should be able to stay up anywhere between 2.-3 hours. I know all babies are different but I always wondered why couldn't Chloe? However, the past 3 days I have been keeping her up for 2.5 hours (distracting her much as possible and to my surprise she is still prepared to play happily, and it has worked she has been sleeping 1.5 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the arvo and 45 mins in the late afternoon! What it said was that I was putting her down ready for a catnap but not a sleep. Now that I am keeping her up longer I am putting her down ready for a sleep and not a catnap. She has been a much happier girl the past 3 days as I have as well. For those of you who are having difficulties with catnaps I suggest you give it a go. What harm can it do? If you do try it let me know how you go because I would be interested to hear whether it worked or not? Just like to add that again it has worked this morning. I put her down at 8:15 it is now 9:36 and I haven't heard boo!

Best of luck, Tania

I read the same book as you smile and I find it the best!
Hi, I wish that was true for my little man. He is nearly eight months old and is still having 3 to 4 catnaps a day of around 20-30 minutes. He is awake for 2.5 - 3 hours at a time and then needs to be put asleep otherwise he falls asleep wherever he is. I have tried keeping him up longer, such as 4 hours and then he still only goes down for approx 30 minutes. He has been attending childcare now for 2 months, 2 times a week and they are finding the same. He is staying awake alot longer there than home and still only sleeps 30 minutes. I worry alittle as he should only be having 2 sleeps a day and he is on occassions having 4.
Crossing my fingers, I will try this tomorrow, what book were you reading? I am at my wits end with the catnapping. How ling did it take for you to notice a change and has it been consistent?
Narelle

Narelle, I'm like you, trying to get the catnapping to stop. I have been trying keeping dd up for 2 hours at least, then a nap. We've been going like this for a week, trying to be totally consistent, and seemed to be working, but today and yesterday we've been baclk to square one, so still crossing my fingers.
How's it going for you?

My 8 month old has only ever cat napped in the day (3 x 20 minutes). I have lately tried keeping him up for 3-4 hours at a time(insted of 2 hours) (distracting him too) and yes, finaly he now has a 1 1/2 hour sleep in the late morning, an hour sleep in the afternoon and sleeps 12 hours at night. I can for the fist time (in months) get a few things done during the day now. Yay!
Hi, things have improved for us dare I say it, most days I have been putting him down between 2 1/4 & 2 1/2 hours after he wakes and he has been sleeping 1 1/2 hours minimum. this morning he only napped but he slept better in the afternoon. Almost got my head around that he is not a textbook baby and somedays he just doesn't want to sleep much. but so far so good
Good luck
Narelle

i have a 6 week old who has just started to catnap, but only in the morning..

he is up for an hour only after he wakes from his might sleep.. 6.30ish usually.. and then is so tired i cannot keep him awake to play.. is just falls aleep and no matter what i do he will not wake.. so i put him down and then 45 mins to 1 hour later he wakes.. starving it seems.. btu i feed him and he has a small feed adn then falls asleep again.. at this time he will finally sleep for a few hours.. but we go through this stupid regieme every morning.. any ideas.. i give him a big feed when he wakes but i wonder if he is just too hungry after sleeping at night (although he feeds at least once in the night)..

i'd love your take on it given your sucess!!
Hi Tania, My 3 month old is doing this cat napping thing & I might have to give your thing a go cos Golly I am going stir crazy I don't seem to have a minute to myself in the day.... mind you this is number 4 bubs for me.... I should know everything. My little man sleeps most of the night so I thought I couldn't complain.
Cheers for that I'll give it a go & let you know.
[Edited on 10/09/2007]

Hi
How does he sleep in the afternoon? Gosh it seems so long ago that we were at the 6 week stage. How many feeds is he having a day? I think at around 6 weeks you should aim for him to be up around 1.5hours (Easier said than done)
eg feeds at 7am, 11am, 2.45pm, 6pm & 10pm & whatever during the night. I always reset my boy at 7am even if he has feed at 5am. Sleeps at 8.30am, 12.30am and a nap at 4.15pm, bedtime at 7pm. The routine comes from the Save our sleep book for a 6-8 week baby. What I have learnt is if it works for you go with it. find the routine that works for you and keep going. It took me about 3 months (Don't be scared off by that time frame, I noticed a difference quite quickly but after that time period I have a baby who loves his routine and begs for his bedtime at 7pm,of following the tizzie hall routine before I changed his sleeping from reading the first post on this site and what a difference. We still have some bad days but don't we all. don't beat yourself up about it butI can truly understand a poor sleeper makes everything else so much harder.
Anyway I have rambled on far to long, I hope some of the jibber I have said said helps. Good luck
Narelle
PS One last thing in the morning after his first feed and play, could you try giving him another small feed before going down for his first sleep and hopefully make that a bigger sleep, sometime if my boy is starving he drinks too much, gets a big airbubble in his belly and thinks he is full.

I've use the same book and routines for my 10mo from when she was 2 weeks old. My advice to anyone is, stick with it. It works wonders and although in the early days it seems hard at times, it's well worth getting them into knowing what comes next. I also have a 2yo and just wished I'd known about this book when I had him as it would've helped out and saved so much stress. He's now following the routines (has been since he was 10mo) and loves how predictable his days are. He always knows what comes next and tells me when it's bed time! They both seem to be very content little people and you instantly know when something is wrong as it is out of character for them to cry for no reason.
Hi ladies.
I'm having so much trouble with my catnapping 6 month old as well (3x 20-30min naps , waking very grumpy).
Is there a book that has been guiding you to improve this? he does have 2.5 hours awake time and I'm sure he isn't hungry or cold / hot so I'm super stuck!

Sign in to follow this topic