Huggies Forum

My daughter prefers to sign Rss

I introduced Auslan to my daughter from birth. She is now nearly 2, has picked up signing very well, and can talk a little english and japanese, however prefers to sign rather than to talk. This is all well and good untill she tries to communicate with someone out of the family who cannot sign, or in the dark. Has anyone got any suggestions other than completley stopping the use of sign language, as I feel it is very useful to be multi-lingual.

I introduced Auslan to my daughter from birth. She is now nearly 2, has picked up signing very well, and can talk a little english and japanese, however prefers to sign rather than to talk. This is all well and good untill she tries to communicate with someone out of the family who cannot sign, or in the dark. Has anyone got any suggestions other than completley stopping the use of sign language, as I feel it is very useful to be multi-lingual.

littlegirlsmum

Hi I also did Auslan with my little girl from about 9 months. I didn't persist for that long - but having said that she picked up many signs and even now she still uses the sign for please or thank you if she has her mouth full or if I use the sign she will say please or thank you (so I can signal her to be polite to other people). She is 2 & 4 months. But the other signs dropped off once she started talking and I stopped practicing - most people comment she speaks really well, uses lots of words and strings together full sentences and will hold a conversation. Multilingual is great - perhaps just encourage her to "use her words" as well and before you give her what she is asking (signing) for, ask her what the word is. Eg you want a drink, can you say 'drink' for me . . . Tell her that she needs to use her words for Nanna (or whoever) and see how that goes. My little one used to sign for a drink at daycare and I explained it to them so that they would know. I am expecting number 2 and I hope I have the time and patience to do some signing with this one as well.

littlegirlsmum

Hi,

I have a 10 month old daughter who we have introduced to baby signing but only the basics, like food, milk, and drink.

I assume you are telling your daughter she needs to talk and use her words as well as signing, so my only suggestion would be to tell her she cannot have what she wants until she says it verbally. This would obviously take lots of effort and consistency from your part but may work.

For example, when she signs drink, tell her she needs to say drink as well and dont hand it over until then, the only problem is if she is more stubborn than you, obviously you cant let her starve and go thirsty.

Maybe worth trying???
Goodluck
Infants who learn baby sign language also are thought to gain psychological benefits, such as improved confidence and self-esteem.
We are offering our services to provide you the best quality written essays, assignments and dissertations. So, don't worry and please don't hesitate to visit us any time at https://assignmenthelpnow.co.uk/
sad smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile sad
Sign in to follow this topic