Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sign Language - Q&As (Read Only)

Baby Sign Language - Q&As (Read Only)

merryrat

What is a good sign for toilet?

My little girl is four months old and we're doing really well with elimination communication (hav...

2 replies

The topic has so many developments on finding solutions for signing with my fifteen month old baby. The details now they have publis...

Member569675

Dissertation results help

A dissertation is a scholarly project that consists of different chapters such as an introduction...

New no replies Be the first to reply »
whale

My daughter prefers to sign

I introduced Auslan to my daughter from birth. She is now nearly 2, has picked up signing very w...

4 replies

Infants who learn baby sign language also are thought to gain psychological benefits, such as improved confidence and self-esteem. W...

merryrat

One handed alternatives?

I understand that altering signs is not great in terms of respecting Auslan as an established lan...

5 replies

We are offering our services to provide you the best quality written essays, assignments and dissertations. So, don't worry and...

Xxkljaxx

Starting Sign Language 14 mths.

Hi, I have a 14 month old son and I want to start signing with him. I know it takes a while for h...

NG275E

Average word count?

Hi Jackie, I'm just curious, how many words on average does a 13 month old know either speaking o...

1 reply

Hi Nicky Thank you for your post. As you mentioned each child is different but if you refer to my article entitled "Your baby and ...

flaymm

Possible to teach signing to a 20 month old boy who doesn't speak?

My grandson is 20 months old but has never developed speech beyond mum mum mum, dad dad dad or bu...

1 reply

Hi there Thank you for your post. It sounds like you are going through a frustrating and stressful time. It is definitely not too ...

natalie(nat)

11 month old signing

Hi Jackie, I've got twin boys who are now 11 and a half months old.... I've never thought of si...

1 reply

Hi Natalie Thank you for your post. Gestures is something that children do naturally such as spreading their arms out when they ...

Leanneme

What is Baby Hands?

My daughter Georgia has sufferded from epilepsy from 5 months and this has delayed her developmen...

1 reply

Hi Leanne Thank you for your email. Australian Baby Hands is based on 100% Auslan signs and they are not Makaton signs. Makaton s...

Mikki 1

Signing with my 14mth old son

Jackie I have purchased your book and started signing with my 14mth old son when he was 7 months...

1 reply

Hi Rachael Thank you for your enquiry. It can be confusing to work out what sign your baby is making and what they are trying to...

maturemummy

Why start with only 5 signs

Hi, Just wondering why you advise starting with only 5 signs, babies learn oral language through...

1 reply

Hi Chellanne Thank you for your post. The reason I suggest to start with five signs is that it makes the experience of signing as ...

DKT

baby language- different countries?

My mum bought us a Australian Baby Hands book, but we shyed away from using it because we live in...

4 replies

Posted by: Mampha What about SALA. Is the signing in Souh Africa different, or is the basic baby stuff similar? The sign language ...

3_little_monkeys

Is it too late to start signing with my 15 month old?

My 15 month old son communicates quite well. He uses a fair few words and 2 short questions "whos...

1 reply

Baby sign language is a great tool to help reduce frustration in babies. You can introduce sign language to babies from the age of ...

TOB

Still not happening

Hi my ds is now 9 months old. I have been signing to him since he was only a few months old. I ...

2 replies

Don't give up, we had the same problem and a lady watching me sign in vane told me the same ¨keep trying, one day they will just pic...

baby signing back more and more

Hi Jackie, Our daughter, now 17 months is communicating very well both verbally and with her bab...

lisam

Is my baby signing back?

I have been using the signs with my 14 month old since she was 8 months. I started with a few of ...

1 reply

Yes it can be quite common for babies to sign what they are interested in such as people, their needs/wants or what fascinates t...

magma

2 Year old not talking

My son is not talking beyond a very few basic words. I've used some AUSLAN signs with him since ...

1 reply

Hi there A couple of things could help you with your babys signing progress. It is important when you introduce a number of signs ...

~*~HappyWithThree~*~

Help 5 month old not laughing/babbling yet?

My five month old isn't laughing or babbling yet. This didn't concern me until I went to my chn f...

1 reply

Hi Nat I understand that this must be a very worrying time for you. Unfortunately I cannot advise if your baby has a hearing proble...

Nedsclan

Baby Hearing

Hi, my baby girl is 3 months old and up until about 2-3 weeks ago was hearing, but now she can't ...

1 reply

Hi there This must be a very hard time for you and your family but it sounds like you are taking all the right steps. I would not ...

do you know of any courses/classes in perth?

i was booked into a bsl workshop monday night, 27th nov. but couldnt attend, plus i deleted their...

1 reply

Hi there Yes there are a number of people and organisations who are conducted classes in baby sign language around the country. ...

mummy78

Benefits of baby sign language

Hi, My mothers group is interested in learning the benefits of baby sign language & where we can ...

3 replies

Hi If you are in victoria i can help... i offer auslan baby sign workshops. my email is icantwaittocommunicate@hotmail.com from Angela

KiwiMum78

Other signing systems vs Auslan???

I know there are a variety of different signing systems out there... what makes this baby signing...

1 reply

Hi there Yes there are a variety of signing systems out there. Some are based on British Sign Language, some are based on made-up...

**pink~elephants**

makaton

our son is special needs child and one of the ways of him communicating to us is by signing is ma...

1 reply

Hi Tanya I have no doubt that you are doing the best for your son. Makaton is a signing system used by a lot of special needs car...

my daugher has started signing back!!!

Hi Jackie, We purchased your book 6.5 months ago when our daughter was 6 months. We have been us...

2 replies

Hi SJ, I have a 7 month old son and I started to sign to him when he was 5 1/2 months. After only 1 week he was signing back 'milk'...

Charlottes mummy

When the bes age to start baby sign language?

Hi There, My Daughter is 6 months old and I was just wondering when the best age to start teachi...

1 reply

Dear Krystal The recommended age to start introducing signs to your baby is at six months of age or when you baby is physically ...

lisajane

background information

Hi i was just wondering about your background in Auslan and in the baby sign program. Are you dea...

1 reply

Hi Lisa Australian Baby Hands is endorsed by Deaf Children Australia and recently just got accredited as a Certified Auslan resourc...

trudyo

Daycare and baby sign language

Hi Jackie, When I went back to work after having my first son, now nearly 3, I found incorporati...

3 replies

Hi Trudy Thanks for your thoughts. We currently have a childcare pack which is being used by Childcare centres around Australia. ...

Kobie

info about Baby Sign Language

hello Jackie, i would like to teach my daughter to use baby sign language. she is 4 n a half mon...

2 replies

Dear Kobie The best age to start using baby sign is around six months of age or when you notice that your baby can hold a rattle by...

twobubs

Am I doing it right?

Hi Jacky - I have a 14 month old baby girl, and I purchased your book 2.5 months ago, as I felt i...

2 replies

Hi When you introduce baby sign language into your home, it is very important that each time you do a sign, you then say the word. ...

rebekiah

growing up with sign language

Hi all Just thought I would say something about my experience with sign language growing up. My...