Huggies Forum

autism Lock Rss

hi my child will be getting assessed for autism and speech therapy at the moment i am in disbelif and was wondering if you could recommend any books on the subject so i could be more informed about this in order to help my three year old

ale
im sorry i know where you are right now. there arent many good books in australia. i'd go to your local library and just get any you can unless you can get them off ebay, or amazon or something.

good luck i hope all goes well. if you'd like to chat

kodeybear@hotmail.com

there is a site that i chat at we are all parents to children on the ASD spectrum your welcome to join.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

I recommend The Autism Sourcebook, $29.99rrp

Karen Siff Exkorn offers practical advice and information from the world's foremost experts on autism as well as her own hard–won lessons from helping her son recover from the disorder.
When Karen Siff Exkorn's son Jake was diagnosed with autism, she struggled to pull together comprehensive information about the disorder. Fortunately, she was able to educate herself, and her extensive at–home treatment of her son led to his amazing full recovery. But the journey wasn't easy, and now, in The Autism Sourcebook, Siff Exkorn shares with parents the wisdom she wishes she'd had at the beginning.
Recent studies show that there is a worldwide epidemic of autism. More than 1.5 million people are affected in the U.S. alone, with 1 in every 166 children diagnosed. Early detection and early intervention are two of the key factors in improving prognosis–but too often, writes Siff Exkorn, parents get bogged down in denial or confusion about the still mysterious disorder, and are unable to take the necessary steps. Providing accessible medical information gleaned from the world's foremost experts, Siff Exkorn offers an inside look at families with children who have autism, and ties in her own firsthand experience as a parent. The author shares valuable knowledge about the following:
What the diagnosis really means

Understanding and accessing treatment options

Knowing your child's rights in the school system

Coping with common marital and familial stress

Making the stigma of autism a thing of the past

With extensive appendices, including the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, Diagnostic Criteria for the Five Pervasive Developmental Disorders, and carefully selected lists of Internet resources, recommended readings, and top autism organizations worldwide, The Autism Sourcebook is the single most comprehensive, practical resource available to parents and loved ones of children with autism.

Brett

Huggies Book Club

Receive 10% off as a Huggies Club Member

Hi My names Sarah and my 3 1/2 yr old was diagnosed 6 months ago. I'm in New Zealand so i don't know whats availible for you in Australia but i have found 2 really good books

This book which explains Autism so well is written by a kiwi doctor and was given to me by a nurse who has a son with Autism. I belive everyone who is given a diagnoses of Autisim, Appergers or PDD-NOS should be given a copy of this book at the same time. ( i know you can find it at amazon.com for about $12)

Pervasive Developmental Disorders (A simple introduction to Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Asperger Syndrome and PDD-NOS. For Parents and Teachers)
By Dr Paul G Taylor MB FRCPC

1,001 Tips for the parents of Autistic Boys
who also wrote
1,001 Tips for the parents of Autistic Girls.
By Ken Siri
Ken Siri writes from an American prospective but i found alot of helpful tips

I am also in the process of reading Jenny McCarthys book 'Warrior Mother'.
She Has several books out, and i plan to read them all as I have found her words encouraging and empowering.

The number one thing i have learnt over the past six months is there are many different opinions on how Autism starts and how to help your child recover, so study, study, study. My public library has been fantastic.
Kia Kaha and good luck.

hi my child will be getting assessed for autism and speech therapy at the moment i am in disbelif and was wondering if you could recommend any books on the subject so i could be more informed about this in order to help my three year old

ale

Hi My son has an Autism diagnosis and I found the Australian Autism Handbook the best book on he market. So I wish you all the very best in this process.
Sign in to follow this topic