Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Weaning help PLEASE! Rss

Hi everyone,

I am trying to wean my 7 1/2 month old boy. He refuses to take a bottle. I've tried 4 different brands of bottles and 4 different types of formula - several times too. I just can't keep spending so much money on wasted products.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jules

]

Hi there,
DO you have a DH? or DP Mother or someone who can feed DS with out seeing you? he knows your his food so if he doesnt see you he might drink, My DD who is now 3 when we weened her to day bottles,if she could see me she refused the bottle if she couldnt she drunk the bottle. they can smell the breastmilk and know. also you could try exprressing and putting some in the bottle then slowly go from all breast milk to half and then half and then more formula then breast then only formula milk. it worked with us. I breast feed DD for 17 mths so it was a hard hapit to break but this one worked well for us good luck
Hi,

Thanks for the tips. We've tried others giving it to him and still no sucess. I haven't expressed since he was 4 months old so not too sure how I'd go at it now but will give that a go.

thanks again
Jules

]

Advice given to a friend who was at an early parenting program was to give the same feed every day in a bottle, and DON'T offer breast if the bottle is refused, just distract until the next feed is due. If this doesn't work in a few days they suggested to give the next feed as a bottle as well. I didn't need to do this - i just did the same feed every day and DS soon got the idea

Noodle 24/12/05 Mops 03/11/07

That's great advice, thanks heaps. I've tried a lot of things that others are offering so was starting to give up and see myself still feeding at 25!!!

Will give it a go.
Jules

]

Posted by: mummagoose
Advice given to a friend who was at an early parenting program was to give the same feed every day in a bottle, and DON'T offer breast if the bottle is refused, just distract until the next feed is due.

So bubs is going hungry, what does this achieve?

If this doesn't work in a few days they suggested to give the next feed as a bottle as well.

Again, how does not feeding them accomplish anything?

Not looking to start a fight, just curious. Milk is supposed to be their main source of nutrition till they are a year old and myself I couldn't stand the screaming if I made Alex wait for a feed so can't imagine having to make him hold out for hours until his next feed was due.

Jules,

How is he with a cup? There are other ways to get fluids in them without "resorting" to bottles.

See this link for some ideas:

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/refusingbottle.htm

and this one:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/alternative-feeding.html

Christina

Oh and the getting someone else to feed him when I am not around didn't work for us. DP rang me at the supermarket last week to say Alex woke up hungry, refused expressed milk and I could hear Alex screaming in the background so had to head home. This is a pain at times, but I don't mind really. DS1 weaned just shy of 10 months when I wasn't ready so I am happy to let Alex carry on for as long as he likes and from recent trends he shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. LOL

Posted by: Jamesmum2003
Advice given to a friend who was at an early parenting program was to give the same feed every day in a bottle, and DON'T offer breast if the bottle is refused, just distract until the next feed is due.

So bubs is going hungry, what does this achieve?

If this doesn't work in a few days they suggested to give the next feed as a bottle as well.

Again, how does not feeding them accomplish anything?

It achieves the goal of getting them to drink the bottle! A baby who is not hungry won't drink from a bottle, but surely that's stating the obvious. A missed feed, in the whole scheme of things, is not a big deal.

It might be obvious but from MY experience it is also untrue. Alex has been STARVING when offered expressed milk (with me not at home)and will NOT drink it.

One missed feed may not but if you skip one, then make them skip another just so they MIGHT drink from a bottle what then? Is the goal to stop feeding the baby until they take it, even if this means they miss 3 or 4 feedings? It worked with you and the one feed, but that does not mean it will work for someone else.

Jules - I found these links as well that might help:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html#motherled

http://www.askbaby.com/baby-bottle-feeding-problems.htm

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/nursing/bottle.html#7.5

Christina

Whatever Christina, take it or leave it! It's just common sense, and it is recommended by professionals. Of course if you offer EBM as a once off in a bottle to a hungry baby they will fight it! It's an unknown to them. By making it the same feed every day they become famililiar with the process. I really can't be bothered justifying this to you! I gave advice to the question that was asked, and it is advice that works. And it's a lot less stressful than going out and buying every brand of bottle or teat on the market. Some babies need to be taught to use a bottle, just like you teach them to use a cup. If you don't like it, then don't do it, and the OP can make up her own mind.

Whoa.............where did that come from?

I wasn't attacking you, just wanted to know where it stopped in the effort to get them to have a bottle. Alex used to take expressed milk from us, but now doesn't. I am certainly not expecting you to "justify" yourself to me and nor should you have to, I am just trying to understand the logic behind it all, even if it seems obvious to you, or Jules or everyone else but me.

All I was saying was that works for one parent doesn't always work for another. I understand that Jules wants to wean and that she is saying that she is having trouble with bottles, which is why I suggested the cup idea. Yes she is capable of making up her own mind, but babies don't know anything about professionals and what they think, and at the end of the day they may be "professionals" but they don't know our babies the way we do.

ok ladies..everybaby is different and not everything works for everyone. but if advice was offered nicely to me a few months ago by my mother in law i dont think i would have gone on a downward spiral of self worth. she attacked me that i wasnt doing the right thing with dd and i was left feeling worthless. i love hearing everones ideas but when people are getting nasty no one listens and if they do can get hurt. we are all in this together. remember nothing is the right way..its what works and feels comfortable..i just cant get dd to take a bottle of ebm or formula and wont take a cup and i am back to work in 6 weeks. mchn tells me not to worry it will work out ( hubby staying at home)that she will drink when she wants to.or otherwise will be ravished when i get home... i still dont believe her but i dont wantto spend my remaining 6wks at home all stressed over her not wanting a bottle when i am still here for her.goodluck
Sign in to follow this topic