Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Starting solids? Lock Rss

I saw a pediatrician today. He is a really good one and my DD is doing really well at 8 weeks. She is exclusively breast fed at the moment. Whilst I was having major issues with her earlier it all seems to be coming together finally!
The pediatrician said that since she is growing so quickly and seems like a strong baby he would prefer if I start introducing solids from 4 months. I thought that spunded early and said I had heard 6 months. He said 4-6 is the recommended but for DD he said 4 months would be better starting with a small amount of baby cereal and then fruits/veg later. He said it will also give me a break as she feeds every 2 hours in the day.
When did you start solids? They feel so little still at 4 months but it gives me hope that I can continue breadtfeeding for longrr as I had contemplated formula.

Curious One & The Curious Two wrote:
I think that's a bit of a stupid thing to say personally he has no idea what she will be like 4months asses it at the time don't just do it cause he says though... Glad things have gotten better with her

Both my kids were 4m but closer to 5m

I was surprised but he's a leading pediatrician and is so great with her which is why I went back to him for her 6-8 week check up. If she seems ready I will give it a go but think I will play it by ear.

The child health nurse told me that babies should start solids at around 6 months. I asked her some pretty specific questions and she basically said you can start any time after 5 months, and you're looking for a few things: they need to be able to hold their head up, the thrust tongue reflex (that causes them to spit food out of their mouth when you're trying to give it to them) needs to be gone, and they should be taking an interest in your food (i.e. trying to reach your food when you're eating it). Other signs are that your baby is seeming dissatisfied after feeds, or asking for a lot of extra feeds at night all of a sudden because breastmilk is no longer satisfying.

I wouldn't worry about it too much now and just look out for signs like that, then you will know if your Dr is on the right track or not.
Eilonwy wrote:
The child health nurse told me that babies should start solids at around 6 months. I asked her some pretty specific questions and she basically said you can start any time after 5 months, and you're looking for a few things: they need to be able to hold their head up, the thrust tongue reflex (that causes them to spit food out of their mouth when you're trying to give it to them) needs to be gone, and they should be taking an interest in your food (i.e. trying to reach your food when you're eating it). Other signs are that your baby is seeming dissatisfied after feeds, or asking for a lot of extra feeds at night all of a sudden because breastmilk is no longer satisfying.

I wouldn't worry about it too much now and just look out for signs like that, then you will know if your Dr is on the right track or not.

Thanks I will look out for these signs. He did mention the 4 months after doing an examination of her neck/head holding strength. He mentioned she held her head up quite strong, I wonder if this prompted his comment? I think I will just wait until she shows interest in other foods.

I started my nearly 3 month old son on baby rice 6 weeks ago. We will be moving onto weetbix shortly and very soon lunch aswell. Why did i start early? Well why not? My mum fed her kids early, my aunts fed theirs early and all thrived, some of them were screaming all the time, and that problem soon righted itself when they were introduced to solids.He is on formula as b/f didn't work for us and i he still gets the same amount of milk along with his food, he actually gets excited when he gets his rice! My son now sleeps a good 7/8 hours at night and doesn't have anywhere near the wind problems he use to have. Its pure bliss not to be spending all day and night feeding him, and we both get plenty of rest. This feeding of babies until their 4 or 6 months is purely a reccommendation, not a given. Each and every baby is different and grows at different rates, so you feed your bub when you feel he is ready. Good luck.
Yes i did. Thats what was done back in the day, and everyone grew up fine. Alot of these food allergies kids get have found in studies to be attributed to when they were started on solids. Its not the main reason i have fed the man early, mearly because he wanted more food. I tried to up his milk and all i succeeded in doing is wearing the extra milk, so it was a time to try rice and he hasn't looked back. He is happy, healthy and progressing at a normal rate. So no regrets at all.
did he give you a reason why?

being healthy and strong and growing isn't a reason to give solids, its a reason to give you a thumping great big pat on the back and say well done! It is well known that bm has more nutrients and the right fats then any other type of food so what does he think solids is going to do that exclusive bf can't?
also I would be running a mile from giving any type of processed cereal at 8 weeks - especially one that is iron enriched....
So what my familes did 30, 40 and 50 years ago was wrong? I shouldn't be listening to them because all this brand new research says so? Research is always changing. And i'll guarantee my man won't suffer this obesity b/s we live on land and he will end up spending it outside, not stuck inside in some sterile environment where god forbid he might get a germ or do something human like eat dirt or climb a tree.
Factful wrote:
So what my familes did 30, 40 and 50 years ago was wrong? I shouldn't be listening to them because all this brand new research says so? Research is always changing. And i'll guarantee my man won't suffer this obesity b/s we live on land and he will end up spending it outside, not stuck inside in some sterile environment where god forbid he might get a germ or do something human like eat dirt or climb a tree.

No they weren't wrong, they went with current recommendations. You on the other hand are going against current recommendations and in my opinion you just look silly trying to justify it. The research into solids doesn't just cover allergies but also things like bowel cancer (and various other bowel/stomach conditions) and obesity. You wont see the effects on your son for another 40 odd years yet....

Anyway....back to the OP. I would just wait and see how you go like the others have sad. I would also look into baby-led weaning. We loved it!

Apologies for my replies, hope they make sense. I am usually typing one handed or interrupted halfway through wink

Funny name for someone who is going against facts o_O

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I started both my DDs at about 6 to 8ish weeks with rice cereal too.
When I say 'started' this does not mean a huge meal a few times a day, I mixed it with breast milk until it was very runny. They had about a teaspoon a day on average to begin with. DD1 gobbed it down and loved it. DD2 really didn't take to solids properly until about 7months.
And starting 'solids' does not mean it has to be done every day. If I went out for the day or if we went away for a week I didn't bother packing food as they were both breast fed. DD1 was weaned off the breast at 10 months only so I could TTC no2 and DD2 is now 16 months and still breastfed through the night.
You can try solids whenever you feel comfortable, it does not mean however that your baby will accept them.
My 4 month old nephew has 3 full meals a day (as did DD1 at that age) and sleeps about 14 hours a night.
My mum also started her 4 children at this early age as this is what was recommended to her (30 years ago).
Everyone has a different approach to solids and no matter what you decide someone will tell you to do it a different way.

My maternal health nurse also said you can start from 4 months. Apparently this is past of the new revised guidelines to try to combat the increasing number of allergies.
Sign in to follow this topic