Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Which formula is best? Rss

Hi everyone,

My name is Michelle....I'm currently 25 weeks preg and I've decided not to breastfeed when bub is born. Which formula do you think is best? When I had my daughter (9 yrs now)she was on S26, don't plan on using that one this time. Having a difficult time trying to decide this time round

Hi everyone,

My name is Michelle....I'm currently 25 weeks preg and I've decided not to breastfeed when bub is born. Which formula do you think is best? When I had my daughter (9 yrs now)she was on S26, don't plan on using that one this time. Having a difficult time trying to decide this time round

I used heinz for all my babies, had no worries at all with it. DS#1 had reflux so I had to thicken it with a karicare product. I first picked Heinz as it was the most affordable on the shelf and my finances were tight that week, it worked my babies thrived so I didn't change it.
When I first started using formula my doctor said not to use formula with extra iron as it is too constipating, just regular formula is fine.
Head down to Big W and have a read of the labels. Have you decided on bottles yet? I suggest wide neck, I always managed to spill formula powder over the edges of narrow neck bottles. Kinda silly but it used to frustrate me! I swapped to tommee tippee closer to nature with my last baby.
Helenxx
My mum fed me on S26 and i fed our now 4 yr old daughter with S26... i think its one of the best, and you can buy it in bulk at big w, so it works out bait cheaper..
Thanks smile I've been thinking Karicare this time but there are so many to choose from now. It's been so long since I've had to decide on this sort of thing. I've definitely decided against anything gold after hearing many bubs get constipated, don't want to put my little one through that. I have a few bottles already and they are the wide neck ones. All so exciting grin

Hi everyone,

Hi!

It really depends on the baby. Some babies will get constipated from one brand while others have no problem. Your bub may by lactose intolerant and you will need to use soy. I use S26Gold and most people I know who use/used formula have used S26Gold also.

With regards to bottles I (and again people I know) use Avent bottles because they are BPA free, have accessories to turn the bottle into containers, sipper cups, cups with handels etc.

Can I ask why you've decided not to try to breast feed? No being nasty just curious.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I did consider breast feeding but I just feel that its not really my thing. The brand of bottle I have now is nuk, they're BPA free too. In regards to the formula though, i guess bub will tell me what he prefers when he's here smile
I also chose not to breastfeed when I had bub. I did a LOT of research on formulas and found that the ingredients in Nan HA were the closest to breast milk.

In saying that, my bub seemed quite windy on this formula. I switched to the Nan Pro Gold and he has been on that for 10 months now and doing fine. Please don't believe all the hype that anything with a "Gold" in the label has more iron levels and therefore causes more constipation. If you actually compare the formulas ingredients you will see that some with the word "Gold' in it is actually lower in iron than others. Do your research and don't hesitate to chop and change a little until you find what suits your bub. Obviously don't go crazy on the change but certainly a couple of different tries doesn't hurt.

Good luck smile
Have heard many health professionals say that all the formulas on the market are good - they couldn't sell them otherwise. So I suppose it is about finding one that fits your budget and that is well tolerated with your baby. In the early days when I was still getting breastfeeding established I used Nan HA gold and it seemed ok, but only used small amounts for a week so can't be sure how it would go long term.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Hi,

All my kids had Karicare Gold. We didn't have any problems with constipation but each baby is different. As mentioned all formula are very much the same. Just a matter of finding what works for you and your baby.

Good luck with your birth hope all goes well.

i used S26 for my first and worked fine. used it for my 2nd and did not sit with her at all. was very constipated, i tried 3 different formulas until i found Nan HA PRO GOLD. its watery like breastmilk, does not make her constipated, and she brings up her wind easier. def worth the $$ that you pay for it smile
Also with bottles i found MAM (colic) bottles really good. they reduce wind and i think they really helped my bubs colic smile
I use S26 Gold with my son who is almost 7 months now. I found he got alot of reflux with it till I started to mix feed with solids and now has no problems once he moved onto the 'Progress' from the /Newborn' formular. Its reasonably cheap and I find Coles has the best prices.

Its really what you feel comfortable with once you weigh up the options.
Good Luck =]
Sign in to follow this topic