Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Wow, I never knew - formula is not sterile...!

Wow, I never knew - formula is not sterile...! Lock Rss

Yeah, the CHN told me today that I would need to continue to sterilise DD's bottles after introducing solids as the formula itself is not sterile!

I figured it would not be sterile once opened, as you would expose it to air, but never really thought that it would be sold in a non sterile state.

I know, that makes me a twit huh?

Yeah, the CHN told me today that I would need to continue to sterilise DD's bottles after introducing solids as the formula itself is not sterile!

I figured it would not be sterile once opened, as you would expose it to air, but never really thought that it would be sold in a non sterile state.

The point of steralising the bottles is to get rid of any milk residue remaining after you have used a bottle (made up with formula milk) so that the bottle is clean before using it again. Its left over milk residue which can cause bacteria growth and therefore potentially cause your baby to get sick.

Dont see what this has to do with whether or not you've introduced solids or the formula powder.

That really does not make any sense to me. You are feeding bub solids...which means most people don't "sterilise" feeding equipment like bubs spoon and bowl...well I didn't anyway so basically after 6m its ok to just wash in hot soapy water, I also rinsed bottles in hot water after washing them.
I also agree with what previous post said, being the fact that milk itself is bacteria causing.

food can't ever be sterile can it? imagine the chemicals they would need to make any food sterile??

I don't sterilise once bub is crawling/putting stuff in their mouth on their own - I figure they are going to get some germs but its all about building their immunity. um, also when I had my bub last year (my 3rd - he's just over 11 mths now) they told me that sterilising isn't really recommended anymore as long as its washed properly in hot soapy water and rinsed so the detergent residue doesn't bother their tummy, and the dishwasher is even better cos it gets it hotter and comes out sterile anyway...

[img]

Sign in to follow this topic