Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. My baby wakes up after 40 mins

My baby wakes up after 40 mins Rss

I known his has probably been asked before, but I'm at a bit of a loss.
My 3 month old, for the past few days, won't sleep for more than 30-40 mins through the day and wakes every 3-4 hours at night.
2 weeks ago she was sleeping great, 8 hours at night and 2-3 hour naps through the day.
It has become exhausting, I'm doing this completely on my own so I haven't got anyone to help, I feel like she's 3 weeks old again!
I stopped swaddling last week and for a few days she slept really well, a few hours less than normal but still great. I don't know why she suddenly won't sleep, I've tried allowing her time to resettle but she just gets more worked up. If I put her down while she's sleepy but still awake, she screams. I just don't know how to teach her self soothing, when she just screams whenever I try ????
Every time she screams my anxiety goes through the roof. I just want my sweet little girl to be her happy content self again.
How is her appetite and stomach? The little one's can only signal us of their troubles....its good to see your doc.
She is eating enough overall, but is fussing a lot more during her feeds and so it takes her a lot longer to finish the bottle, she gets upset, throws her arms around and bites down on the teat, so I have to stop, burp her and allow her time to calm down before I give it to her again.
I am taking her to the gp tomorrow to rule out any serious problems ????
The reason why he does wake up at times can be little things: a small discomfort like a little cold, a little hungry feeling or a wet diaper can be enough to keep him from sleeping on. It can also be be too little or too much light, noise around the house or from the street, or even the lack of noise ...

So I suggest you start with checking these possibilities and try to avoid them. Make sure he keeps nice and warm (never too hot of course), a wearable blanket or baby sleeping bag can work wonders.

Use an extra layer or a different size diaper to help avoid the wet diaper, and of course always change it right before he goes down.

If there are noises that are not constant, a white noise machine can be a good option (check the free white noise downloads for a simple way to quickly try it out).

Just remember when babies are little that they change their routines often - just when you think you've got it sorted, they change. Most little changes are temporary and might just last a few days or a couple of weeks. And then they settle back down again. I can tell you that sleeping is a huge issue for most parents, and you can spend the next 3 years trying to get your child to sleep well at night. You will hear stories of kids who sleep all night from 3 months, but for the majority of us, sleep becomes a distant memory for the most part. You will get used to it eventually, but hopefully your wee one settles back into a reasonable rhythm soon.
Just remember when babies are little that they change their routines often - just when you think you've got it sorted, they change. Most little changes are temporary and might just last a few days or a couple of weeks. And then they settle back down again. I can tell you that sleeping is a huge issue for most parents, and you can spend the next 3 years trying to get your child to sleep well at night. You will hear stories of kids who sleep all night from 3 months, but for the majority of us, sleep becomes a distant memory for the most part. You will get used to it eventually, but hopefully your wee one settles back into a reasonable rhythm soon.
Did your baby start being unhappy after her immunization, my little one is 9 weeks old and the last 3 weeks since her immunization have been hell, she has been so cranky and then it was over, as of yesterday she is back to her perfect little self. I blame the Rotovirus vaccine, it doesn't affect all babies like this but it is one nasty side effect that causes a lot of pain for mum and bub.
This is really normal. Older babies get - the less sleep they need! A babies sleep cycle is only 45 minutes long (with some speculation it may actually be closer to 30). This is why baby is waking. And 3-4 hours during the night is not bad, especially for a baby so young! I'd say the day naps are pretty normal but for night, try checking baby is warm enough. This may even make a difference during the day too. A cold baby will wake often.
Sign in to follow this topic