Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. I want to stop feeding

I want to stop feeding Lock Rss

My son is 15 months old, I still breastfeed him all night. I've tried what some other mums said to try but its not working for me. I want to stop feeding him at night, I think he's ready as well. I feed him but he doesn't want to fall asleep while he feeds, I'll have to hold him to sleep. During the night he falls asleep qhile feeding and I want to stop that but I don't want to upset him too much by doing it. I don't know what to do.
Hi, what suggestions have you had that you have tried? Do you always hold your son to sleep or just for this night feed? How many feeds is he having at night?
Go to sleep school or look up sleep techniques. He probably needs a new sleep association. Try reading or a cuddly toy. Remember babies and toddlers often cry just before sleep and it may only take 5 mins which you may think its a long time he's upset but probably its a tired sign and not a distress sign. A new sleep association can take 3 or 4 times before it becomes a sleep association. So there may be 3 or 4 bad nights until your child gets used to it.
I've tried controlled crying but I give up because I don't like him crying like he does, I've tried to stop feeding him before he wants to stop feeding.
I feed him then he wants to be held to sleep at night. I don't feed during the day. He pretty much sleeps in the same bed as my partner and I which I want to stop aswell
I feed him then he wants to be held to sleep at night. I don't feed during the day. He pretty much sleeps in the same bed as my partner and I which I want to stop aswell
So is he having a bottle of milk during the day? If so have you tried introducing a night time bottle instead of giving him the breast? Does he sleep in his own bed in the daytime? Or your bed? I agree with Mrs Claus, maybe it's time to introduce new assisoctions with sleep/night time feed. Do you think he really needs themail night time feed, maybe you could drop it all together
He won't take a bottle or dummy at all. He will drink cows milk sometimes but he doesn't really like it even if I do half water half milk. During the day he sleep s in his bed at night he starts off in his bed after that he's in mine.
Do you breastfeed during the day? Maybe you could express some milk and give it to your son in a bottle during the day? Maybe starting using a bottle during the day will help, if he's hungry/thirsty he will drink.
If he won't take a bottle at all maybe you would just need to go cold turkey? Which will be difficult as it's in the middle of the night and no one wants to hear their baby crying. Does he have a bedtime routine? Maybe you could repeat that in the middle of the night when he wakes?
I don't feed during the day as I have to work. I've tried the same routine that I start with at night, through the night. Thanks for your help
One last thought, have you tried feeding him more milk during the day so he doesn't wake hungry at night? Maybe play some white noise torelax and make him more sleepy when he wakes. Good luck smile
Sign in to follow this topic