Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Nearly 2 yr old waking sooooo early!

Nearly 2 yr old waking sooooo early! Rss

Help me!

I have a very nearly 2 yr old boy who won't sleep past 5am in the morning (sometimes its 4am) and its driving me crazy!
I am pretty sure he is not too cold/hot or hungry. I have tried (and not just for a short time) putting him to bed later (8 -9pm) but again that hasn't helped - He at present goes to bed around 7.30pm. He does nap during the day most days - and these can range from 1/2 hour to 3 hours depending. He is very active during the day and usually a very good eater.
At present I am leaving him until 6am and then getting up to him simply as he gets too noisy. When he wakes he not screaming or really upset - just wants to get up and play.
I would love any more ideas - do I need to ensure he only sleeps a certain amount of time during the day even if means waking him (which will ensure a very hard afternoon - however I will handle that if it means a better night!).

Thanks
DS is waking earlier and earlier too - this morning was 5am sad He used to sleep until 7am so this is difficult! Going to bed earlier/later, longer/shorter naps - doesn't make a difference here. I am wondering if it is the light, it is getting light here really early, maybe black out curtains?

My 20 month old DS wakes at 7, which is too early for me at the moment most days (38 weeks preg and sick as a dog). He's in a toddler bed, so I just leave toys in his room and set my alarm for 9. He'll get up and he's happy to just play til I go get him. His first poop is between 8:30-9 so I make sure I'm up then to change it.
get rid of the nap or reduce it. see if that makes a difference.
We're in the same sleep deprived boat! The past week DD has taken to waking at 5 and it's killing me! We have a blockout blind on her window so i know it's not the light. I've tried waking her up from a nap so she's not asleep too long (result=grumpy girl), i've tried cutting out the nap (result=grumpy girl), i've tried putting her to bed later (result=still wakes early). I just keep telling myself it's a stage she'll grow out of, in the meantime it's plenty of concealer and visine!!!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

If you find a magic cure, let me know!! grin

DD2 (13mths) has decided the best time of the day to wake up is 4.30am. URK!!!!

We also have blockout blinds, she definately needs her day sleeps still, and a later bedtime means an unsettled night and still the early wake up.

I am hoping she grows out of it soon, as I have been getting up with her then to let the bigger kids sleep in so they aren't too tired/ grumpy at school and kindy. Now we are on school holidays I might leave her on her own and see what happens, dont know how noisy she will get or if she will fall back to sleep

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Try an earlier bed time, sounds crazy i know but it works. My DS was waking at 5.30am so i started putting him to bed 30 mins earlier and he now sleeps until at least 6.30am sometimes longer.

Try an earlier bed time, sounds crazy i know but it works. My DS was waking at 5.30am so i started putting him to bed 30 mins earlier and he now sleeps until at least 6.30am sometimes longer.

Just out of curiousity,
waht time do you put him down now?
And what type of day sleep does he do?
My DD currently goes down between 5.30 - 6.30pm depending on how tired she is and it doesnt seem to make much difference to the wake up time. sigh...

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

I'm going through the same thing with my 2 year old and have been through it previously with my now 4 year old. I have found it does help to try and limit their day sleep to around and hour to an hour and a half and make sure they are down by 12 if you are home. Any later and it seems to really disrupt their night sleep. Try putting a pair of socks on - sometimes it can just be their feet getting a little chilly around 3ish that slowly slowly wakes them. Putting them to bed later just means you have less down time of your own s they will still wake before a civilized hour - they are babies after all. It does get better as they get older!

I'm going through the same thing with my 2 year old and have been through it previously with my now 4 year old. I have found it does help to try and limit their day sleep to around and hour to an hour and a half and make sure they are down by 12 if you are home. Any later and it seems to really disrupt their night sleep. Try putting a pair of socks on - sometimes it can just be their feet getting a little chilly around 3ish that slowly slowly wakes them. Putting them to bed later just means you have less down time of your own s they will still wake before a civilized hour - they are babies after all. It does get better as they get older!

I also agree with the putting them to bed earlier theory. As strange as it sounds, sometimes sleep promotes more sleep!
I don't really have any advice as such but thought I would let you know that my daughter (9 yrs) is up with the sun every morning and has been like it since she was a baby. I'm hoping next time (due early march) bub will sleep in longer

Just out of curiousity,
waht time do you put him down now?
And what type of day sleep does he do?
My DD currently goes down between 5.30 - 6.30pm depending on how tired she is and it doesnt seem to make much difference to the wake up time. sigh...

He has lights out by 7pm, usually chats away for a bit but at the very latest he is asleep by 7.30pm. (previously he was lights out by 7.30 and asleep by 8pm)

Does one day sleep for 2-3hours, i dont let him sleep past 3pm. Usually goes down for his nap between 11 and 12pm.

If she is already having an early bed time then maybe its the nap that needs adjusting.

Good luck, if only it was easier to figure them out laugh
Sign in to follow this topic