Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 5 month old wakes won't sleep

5 month old wakes won't sleep Rss

My 5 month old is bf with 1 or 2 solid meals per day. For about 3 months now he will get up around 1.30 and won't settle back to sleep until 4am. His routine is bath and bed around 6pm-7am. He gets up around 9pm or 10pm, hungry then it's downhill from there. It's not he cries when he wakes, he just doesn't want to or doesn't know how to get back to sleep. I am at my wits end as during the day he doesn't nap well. He will have 30 mins every 2.5 hours and that is it.

I don;t know if this is normal behaviour as i have been told every child is different, which is the last thing i want to hear when i am sleep deprived. He is teething atm but i don;t think that is why is awake because he's not in pain when he wakes. My first child was so easy with sleeping, so i am not sure what to do with this child.

Anyone have any urgently needed advice
My DS is just over 4 months old - at 5 weeks he was sleeping all night then at the beginning of December we went away for 2 weeks and he has never slept all night since.
I have found one thing that helps him to put himself back to sleep with out getting him out of his cot is to play a baby sleeping cd quietly in his room.
My son is 20mths and was never a good sleeper, I struggled until he was about 11mths old and someone put me onto - Save Our Sleep by Tizzie Hall.. She has some great suggestions, I took some of her advice and just adapted it to what suited me... As he was a bit older we started with a Lay Down technique she has and I am telling you it was amazing, within days he went from being rocked of to sleep to putting himself to sleep... Anyway there is some great advice and routines in the book.
Also I have been told that they will test the boundaries every 6 weeks, which is why they seem to revert at times...
Here is the website for the book http://www.saveoursleep.com.au/

Hang in there, and I know how you feel, sleep deprivation is a form of torture I am sure! smile
It could still be teething as it makes them wakeful. My son does not show any real big signs that he's teething but does wake more at night and finds it hard to get back to sleep. He's 2.5yrs now so he's teethed enough that I can see a pattern. The other thing he does is walk across a room to hit me for no reason but otherwise is his usual happy self.

Though at this age it can be developmental as there is so much going on for them. Or it could be solids making his tummy a bit sore. It's the not knowing that sucks. if you haven't already I would try giving panadol to see if it helps with the teeth.

Play some relaxing music and if he's not crying leave him. Sometimes when it comes to getting the to sleep less is more. Us trying to settle them can actually disturb them. Leave grizzling and just attend when he's crying.

If it helps I have a 5month old too and he wake typically at 11:30pm, 3am, and 5am. Everyone in the house is up by 6:30am, I can't remember the last time I had a day nap, I'm up all day and go to bed between 10:30 and midnight. Being tired sucks but you do adjust to having less sleep. I hope things improve.
It could still be teething as it makes them wakeful. My son does not show any real big signs that he's teething but does wake more at night and finds it hard to get back to sleep. He's 2.5yrs now so he's teethed enough that I can see a pattern. The other thing he does is walk across a room to hit me for no reason but otherwise is his usual happy self.

Though at this age it can be developmental as there is so much going on for them. Or it could be solids making his tummy a bit sore. It's the not knowing that sucks. if you haven't already I would try giving panadol to see if it helps with the teeth.

Play some relaxing music and if he's not crying leave him. Sometimes when it comes to getting the to sleep less is more. Us trying to settle them can actually disturb them. Leave grizzling and just attend when he's crying.

If it helps I have a 5month old too and he wake typically at 11:30pm, 3am, and 5am. Everyone in the house is up by 6:30am, I can't remember the last time I had a day nap, I'm up all day and go to bed between 10:30 and midnight. Being tired sucks but you do adjust to having less sleep. I hope things improve.
Sign in to follow this topic